main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Schapelle Corby: a conviction or an acquittal?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, May 23, 2005.

?

Schapelle Corby: a conviction or an acquittal?

Poll closed May 30, 2005.
  1. She's more fried than Anakin.

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah, they'll let her go home.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    I have a theory: as soon as the media become bored with the story it will simply go away. Welcome to the 21st Century where Reality is displayed for your convenience nightly at 6pm.

In any case, a friend of mine who travels a lot said that cable ties are a good way to ensure the security of one's bags. If they are broken at the other end, don't touch the bag - make airport security retrieve and search it first.

2. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I was recently informed of a kind of wire mesh that will form itself to your bag, with a color-coded lock, that changes randomly everytime it is open/closed. There's no way of getting into the bag without it being obvious.

Also, many of the bigger American companies train their staff on airport procedure in regard to questioning. For example with overhead luggage:

Did you pack th bag youtrself?
    Yes
    Was the bag out of your sight at any time?
    Yes, I place it in the overhead storage and slept during the flight - anyone could have accessed the bag without my knowledge.

etc..

Basically so that the situation is always open-ended, there is always a question over who could have accessed the bag, and therefore always an avenue that *has* to be investigated.

But like a few others have expressed, I never really planned to visit Indonesia, and now I know for sure, you couldn't pay me enough money to go there.

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    you couldn't pay me enough money to go there.

That's what I should have said [face_plain]

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Ah S_M my friend...if you didn't go then you wouldn't of had any 'good' stories to tell me :)

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Would be against the ToS to suggest you have no right to question anyone's intelligence SoE?

Just have a wee grand check there, don't want any bad craic.

E_S

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    No, baiting is against the ToS though. :)

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Would be against the ToS to suggest you have no right to question anyone's intelligence SoE?

Aye. This is also against the TOS.
    From your second post in your Star Wars controversy thread.
    screaming "It's a movie you hippie **** shut up!"?

T*** is a word against the TOS. I should know, I've been banned for using it.

Bad craic E_S.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, baiting is against the ToS though.

I was just checking Hawk.

E_S

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Yeah didn't think you had a retort.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [image=http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/grampa_bitch.jpg]

E_S

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    [image=http://www.displaycostume.com/products/ireland.jpg]

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And here I was thinking that the both of you were mature adults. Stupid me.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    You're right. I'll take that one on the chin.

14. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    The whole Schapelle Corby thing has kind of been lost!

I think now she's been sent away for 20 years, the whole joking about it doesn't seem to healthy!!!!!!

15. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    well all i can say is that she got what was coming to here....
    i don't think that she would have been surprised anyways..

i was a bit...i thought that she would have gotten life....but 20 years...she will prolly die in there before that happens...

16. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    well all i can say is that she got what was coming to here....

Are you certain?

Can someone please explain to me why someone would smuggle drugs worth $30,000 in Australia into a country where the top price you'd get is $5,000?

17. Sith-Jedi-Master

Nov 9, 2004
    Can someone please explain to me why someone would smuggle drugs worth $30,000 in Australia into a country where the top price you'd get is $5,000?

who knows y half the people do the things that they do, maybe she wanted a quick dollar and thought that it would be easier to sell of over there...in fact it is easier to sell drugs over there then in australia.

how could she not know what she was carying...an extra 4kg is alot...and if you add that on you bad then you will know for sure

18. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I ate a big red candle

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    in fact it is easier to sell drugs over there then in australia.

I'd ask how you know, but I'll just simply point out it's obviously not easier...

how could she not know what she was carying...an extra 4kg is alot...and if you add that on you bad then you will know for sure

Her father packed it, all her stuff was weighed in bulk instead of individually at check in, at the baggage claim her brother picked up that bag and carried it to where it got searched.

If I remember right, she and witnesses testified she never touched the bag after it was checked in to the airline in Asutralia.

Also, upon discovery, no item was tested for fingerprints by Indonesian police.

If you're going to make blanket statements about "she got what she had coming" can you at least please look into what you're talking about?

20. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    In a rush at an airport, to collect ones bags and get out of there, it would be bloody easy to overlook it anyway.

She -offered- her bag to customs!
    They didn't even ask her for it; she stopped at the desk on the way out and opened up her bag because she thought they wanted her to.

Why on earth would she have done that?
    It's not as if she was thinking she could hide the drugs and that by showing her bag openly, without being asked, they wouldn't search thoroughly - 4kgs of marijuana leaves is very different to 4kg of cocaine or something. It's not a white poweder; it would be like trying to smuggle 4kgs of parsley.. do you know how big a bag of parsley would have to be to weigh 4kgs?

21. Sith-Jedi-Master

Nov 9, 2004
    at the baggage claim her brother picked up that bag and carried it to where it got searched

If I remember right, she and witnesses testified she never touched the bag after it was checked in to the airline in Asutralia.

wasn't the bag on her when she got searched...i think it was by memory. If it was not then how come she got caught and not her brother if the bag was with him ?

and also Schapelle Corby packed her own bag

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I ate a big red candle

Brick!

E_S

23. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    wasn't the bag on her when she got searched...i think it was by memory. If it was not then how come she got caught and not her brother if the bag was with him ?

Because it was checked in under her name.

and also Schapelle Corby packed her own bag

The courtroom testimony by her father was that he packed it. Still, it's a moot point, the fact is she never carried it from pick up at the baggage claim to where it was searched, and was therefore unaware of the extra weight.

Now, as Kieca just pointed out, and you can take this from a guy who's spent more time on planes and in airports than he cares to remember, the rushing genral panic involved with any flight is cause enough not to take notice of extra weight in a bag handled by baggage handlers of an airline you think you can trust, especially when you're not carrying the bag in the first place.

As Ender pointed out, the court system there operates differently than here, you must prove your innocence, and as DA pointed out, the drugs were in her bag.

I'm not saying it's 100% certain she's innocent, but there's no way you can 100% prove she's guilty, had the case been tried in an Asutralian court, where the onus is to prove guilt, she would have been set free.

Among the evidence the Indonesian courts would not permit entered is the recent controversy over a drug ring operating out of an airport involving baggage handlers, as well as a aworn testimony by an ex-prisner on overhearing a conversation between two prisoners about baggage handlers at that airport misplacing a 4kg bag of marijuana, at about the time Corby was arrested in Indonesia.

Circumstancial evidence perhaps, but it does help paint the overall picture.

24. Sith-Jedi-Master

Nov 9, 2004
    The courtroom testimony by her father was that he packed it

well sorry according to Her offical blog site...Fact states and it is on that site

Fact 1:

Schapelle?s dad stated that he saw Shapelle pack her luggage.

so yeah that one is either wrong or he lied in the courtroom

I'm not saying it's 100% certain she's innocent, but there's no way you can 100% prove she's guilty, had the case been tried in an Asutralian court, where the onus is to prove guilt, she would have been set free.

if it was in australian court i agree it would have been different, but the evidence was against her, and from the begining i knew she would be found guilty.

however saying that, the judge was only doing his job, and if he set her free it would go against there whole system.

25. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Fact 1:
    Schapelle?s dad stated that he saw Shapelle pack her luggage.

so yeah that one is either wrong or he lied in the courtroom

Well, I read in a newspaper yesterday about his testimony, one of those sources is innaccurate, so we're stuck at in impasse on that one.

however saying that, the judge was only doing his job, and if he set her free it would go against there whole system.

I'd like to see where in any of the judge's job descriptions it says to ignore evidence, and yell and scream at the accused if she gets sick during the hearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.