main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Schapelle Corby: a conviction or an acquittal?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, May 23, 2005.

?

Schapelle Corby: a conviction or an acquittal?

Poll closed May 30, 2005.
  1. She's more fried than Anakin.

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah, they'll let her go home.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    I'd like to see where in any of the judge's job descriptions it says to ignore evidence, and yell and scream at the accused if she gets sick during the hearing.

well i don't think that he ignore the evidence, i mean it is a bit hard to when the drugs were in the bag when they searched her,

and for the sick bit, i mean if i was her i would do anything to postpone the hearing...i would be so scared that i would try anything that i thought would post pone it so i could get more support or more evidence that would help me.

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    well i don't think that he ignore the evidence, i mean it is a bit hard to when the drugs were in the bag when they searched her,

I'm talking about the evidence I already said they wouldn't admit, about the baggage handlers.

and for the sick bit, i mean if i was her i would do anything to postpone the hearing...i would be so scared that i would try anything that i thought would post pone it so i could get more support or more evidence that would help me.

Wow, that's an awesome piece of conjecture there. I think it's far more likely the constant media attention, sleeping in a crowded cell with 8 other women and having to get your family to pay to bring food in because the stuff in the prison has disturbing sanitary levels just may have played a part in that.

3. Sith-Jedi-Master

Nov 9, 2004
    I'm talking about the evidence I already said they wouldn't admit, about the baggage handlers.

ah ok then...well i could only say that, they was not enough evidance to say that they put in her bag...because it would be Corbys word against theres and that leads to nothing really. i know about the accusations against the bag handlers....but maybe they did not do it or maybe they did....but no rock hard evidence show either way.

Wow, that's an awesome piece of conjecture there. I think it's far more likely the constant media attention, sleeping in a crowded cell with 8 other women and having to get your family to pay to bring food in because the stuff in the prison has disturbing sanitary levels just may have played a part in that.

yeah true it would have paid a part in that...but also i heard that she was under alot of stress about the outcome, i mean when you think that you could be going to jail for the rest of your life, i think that you would be sick also.. i mean it can do that to you.

4. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Is she really guilty? No, I don't think so.

She's been slapped with 20 years and approx AU$14000.
    If she was a drug smuggler, I'm sure she'd 1)not expect to get caught, 2)know the penalty for being caught...

Why would she risk $14000 when she could have slipped $200 to the Customers Officer and it would have been over with. It's not the sort of thing an innocent person thinks about when they've been wrongfully accused.

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Why would she take it into Bali? Would work better to take it out of Bali to Australia! Make more money! What I mean is, it doesn't make sense, none of it does. They all know she is innocent, half their witnesses seem to have lied or made it up...and listening to the two hours of garbage, half their 'witnesses' told different stories every time! On top of that dismissing all her defence, it was the most rigged and corrupt trial I have ever seen in my life and I cannot for the life of me see how they can sit back and say "hey, the Aussies won't see we rigged it, they won't see that we fixed this trial". Do they think we are stupid? If that is their justice systme I so pity the entire population of Indonesia as the judges obviously don't wait for the evidence they convict on sight...regardless.

6. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    "hey, the Aussies won't see we rigged it, they won't see that we fixed this trial". Do they think we are stupid?

Seems to have worked on a few in this thread...

7. Sith-Jedi-Master

Nov 9, 2004
    "hey, the Aussies won't see we rigged it, they won't see that we fixed this trial". Do they think we are stupid?

i don't think it it is riddeg...jut not enough evidence to say she is innocent or guility...but being caught with the stuff goes not help

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    At least she'll get a fair trial, right?

[face_laugh]

Sorry, it's just the notion we'll ever know the truth when Indonesia is involved. Gets me every time.

E_S

9. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
  10. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    And for anyone who says that it's a foreign land, we have to respect their court procedures and laws, I remind you this is the same court system that gave the Bali bomber, who murdered more than 100 people, 30 months in prison.

Also, the $14,000 fine, some may say that it's the cost of her incarceration, but let's look at something.

The Indonesian prison system has a budget of 25 baht (AU aprox 45 cents) per prisoner per day.

So, 25 cents x 365 days in a year = $91.25

X 20 years = $1,825 total cost to the Indo government to "house" Corby for 20 years.

Not too mention visitors have to slip the guards money to be able to see the person they want.

In case you were wondering, it's costs nearly $70,000 a year to incarcerate a person in Australia.

11. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    is that including centrelink payments?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    SM, is that factoring in the PPP of the baht:Australian Dollar?

Secondly; the reason the Bali bomber got 30months was that he was charged ex post facto for a crime which wasn't technically illegal at the time. Antiterrorism legislation was passed after the Bali bombing. Which is a shame, but it's not like the same wouldn't apply here.

E_S

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, no, that's just going off today's exchange rate, just a quick & dirty calculation.

And yes, it was legislation after the fact, but it still puts things in perspective, 20 years for having a bag of weed in your luggage, 30 months for planning to kill over a hundred people.

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Yeah but S-M the justice system has always been ****ing bollocks in every country...always will be too.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    PPOR.

E_S

16. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Ender_Sai posted on 5/29/05 1:24am
    PPOR.

E_S
    [hr][/blockquote]

Ireland!

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    You really honestly need someone to post proof that the justice system is ****ed?
    Damn, open your eyes.

Ireland!

Hence we've got the IRA.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, let's see; I have been in court - though unlike anyone you know, I was there working for a solicitor - I have studied law (before dropping out in 2nd year [face_plain]), and have a pretty good idea about international criminal law.

So, what have magical piece of worldly experience have you got, accrued in your 18 years, that undoes this?

E_S

19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    It does have to be conceded that no justice system is ever going to get things right all the time; law can only ever be the shadow of justice at the best of times.

But I will say this: for those who would grumble about the trial by jury system here, go to Indonesia and look at the inquisitorial model they have there. For those who would grumble about criminal lawyers resorting to "legal loopholes" (like the bothersome right to silence, presumption of innocence, and principle of mens rea to go with it) go and witness the apparent powerlessness of Corby's defence counsel to stop a court that had convicted every time in the past, which took a couple of underpaid Customs guards' word as gospel, and which, despite the bizarre softpedalling of the issue here in Australia, ultimately forced Corby to try and prove her innocence once those Customs guards put forward their testimony. For those who would complain about judges' high salaries here, think of the $7,000 salary of Indonesia's chief judge and the so-called "legal fees" paid to them without explanation.

The point is this: the adversarial system (which we have here, personified by the competing interests of the Prosecution and the Defence, overseen by a judge) is designed not so much to dispense omniscient justice, but to provide a level playing field between the State and the individual. That is why courts are independent of the parliament. That is why judges here are paid exorbitantly high salaries, and not elected--to prevent corruption, and minimise them being leaned on by the whims of the parliament or the electorate.

Some say that Corby should've adopted the approach of the businessman brought to trial for smuggling guns: keep quiet, don't bring it up in the media, and we'll let you go with a slap on the wrist. And worse still that lawyers there don't think of their victories as having a person found innocent, but getting the person out of jail. If that is indeed the way things are done, it is a perversion of the justice system, not justice at all--and it is aided and abetted by those lawyers who adopt such an attitude, pragmatic though it may be.

As I've always done, I recommend people read Geoffrey Robertson's "The Justice Game" on the issue.

And on the Ireland issue--the British system of justice is that which Australia's is based on, and in some respects it's actually more progressive than ours on the issue of criminal law (particularly with respect to confessions, identification, and political trials). It isn't perfect, but no system of justice is...and I'd bet on trial by jury than trial by three judges any day of the week.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Absolutely; but to imply that the judiciary is for example more corrupt that the legislative or executive is ludicrous, and SoE should have perhaps moderated his post to sound less angsty and "rebellious", and instead aim for more informed.

E_S

21. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    One day a machine will be invented, called the Gammatron, which is able to process all legal records and cases, be able to process trials at 104GB/s and be programmed with a special 'fairness chip' so it dispenses justice fairly :)

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ladies and Gents; Marv's been on the sauce again so I do apologise for his outbursts.

E_S

23. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Approximately 42 seconds after creation, it will observe the contradiction inherent in its existence and self-destruct.

24. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    The whole case has been a huge media party. There is so much evidence that could go either way and the simple fact of the matter is that she had the drugs on her. I have hear some stuff that points towards guilt (an apparent conversation with the customs guy who searched her bag) and stuff that doesn't. Yes, if it were tried in Australia she probably would have been found innocent but certain things, for example the testimony about the drug traffiking between Aussie ports would never have been admissable in an Australia court. Innocent or guilty, the girl is lucky that she only got 20 years when the drugs were found on her, she could have faced the firing squad!
    Furthermore someone should have thought to check the luggage records, and it is not the job of the police to prove that she is innocent, it is the job of her lawyers and family. Companies only keep baggage records for a week before dumping them. Since she was arrested at the airport someone should have thought to go straight to the airline for that information. Even if she weighed-in in bulk the total weight of all her luggage would have been 4kg lighter and that IS sufficient enough to make a difference on the baggage scales.

25. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I think I'd rather be shot than spend 20 years in an Indonesian prison!

'You look like you could use a friend' eww!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.