main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Schapelle Corby: a conviction or an acquittal?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, May 23, 2005.

?

Schapelle Corby: a conviction or an acquittal?

Poll closed May 30, 2005.
  1. She's more fried than Anakin.

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah, they'll let her go home.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I've always thought the pun is mightier than the sword.

2. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Indeed.

Man have I had a busy day on the boards today!

There was a spam war between S.A and the Vics which WA got dragged into, and for some stupid reason, I decided to Start a Peace March Through the Poland FF Boards!

Since Qld were mean to me, I've been talking to some Polish folk, who are going to post their disgust in Polish on the Qld forums!

Insane.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Damn...you guys should read the ****ing rubbish being said in the QLD forums.
    Disgracefull.
    *sigh*

4. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    **@&ken Oath!

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    *shrug* They're venting; so would we if it had been a hot Perth chick who went down for it.

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Venting is one thing, wishing a tsunami on an already devastated country is another.

7. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Yeah, there's venting and there's being total asses.

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Thank god for your level head, Sainty!

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, they're being venting ass-heads then?

E_S

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    They're venting; so would we if it had been a hot Perth chick who went down for it.

Firstly she's certainly not hot.
    Secondly, she could have lived next to me and I'd still hodl the same opinion.

Venting is one thing, wishing a tsunami on an already devastated country is another.

Exactly dude.

11. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    1) That was some people's reaction immediately (ie the same day) after the verdict. They were upset.
    2) Don't say that the entire board or the Queenslanders say this or that. There are differing opinions in that thread as there are in this one.

It's easy to pick on people on the internet, isn't it?

Again, both sides I know.

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Don't say that the entire board or the Queenslanders say this or that. There are differing opinions in that thread as there are in this one.

I never said that all of QLD was of the same opinion.
    Dunno where you pulled that one out of.

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm stopping short assumptions that will be made.
    Is all.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    1) That was some people's reaction immediately (ie the same day) after the verdict. They were upset.

This is not the open court-room where the verdict was given, it is a site that to post you have to take the time to click links and type out what you want to say. This is also not an issue which garners strong, world-shifting swings of emotion. There is rarely such a thing and being able to say that you are posting something you don't mean as you have more than enough time to actually think about what you are saying.

15. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    So... anyone read any of the newspapers today??

The Indonesians were protesting outside, erm, somthing-or-other with banners and slogans with such phrases as "Corby Drugs Dealers Must Die...!!!".

OK. So, I'm no English teacher, nor do I hate the Indonesians for dropping a guilty verdict on Schapelle (who, for the record, is a bit of alright). Sure, maybe I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to wish head-cancer upon them.

However, I am at odds with myself over this protest. One thing that I also don't agree with is incorrect grammar. It's something I like to avoid, and if I was the type of person to attend a protest (because I believed in the cause, not to laugh at tree-hugging hippies) then I'd make sure I was very careful when writing my slogan. If I was going to have something written in a language I didn't speak, I'd try and get someone who could speak it to help me out. If I could have actually been there to watch these protesters I would have made a show of laughing and pointing at them, even to the extent of throwing myself to the ground and rolling around - you know, to really rub it in.

On the other hand, I <3 Engrish. Seeing the banners brings tears of joy to my eyes. It makes me want to walk around saying "I am hating drugs dealers!" and "Deaths to Corby!" and "Corbys must die...!!!".

What should I do?

16. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm failing to see how you can't do both and therefore be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Syrix_Kahl, I've learn to speak Indonesian for 7 years (never been there though) and their grammar is constructed different than ours.
    A lot of their talk is backwards, so it's not really incorrect from their POV.
    Just thought I should point that out.
    Besides, their message was still clear.

18. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Well, for starters Shadow, they wrote it in English, so clearly, their grammar was incorrect. If the slogans were painted in Indonesian, but with English grammar, they'd also be incorrect.

Secondly, as I understand Indonesian, isn't the way to plurify (plurify? plurificate? plurise?) something to double the word? So: "Drug Dealer Dealer Must Die"...

Thirdly, It's called humour. I was being funny. Clearly I failed. Sue me. Better yet, fly me to Indonesia and sue me there. I hear they have the death penalty for not being funny when you were trying to. Not sure about what the laws on sarcasm or satire are though.

Fourthly, I'm English!

Fifthly, Have you seen my frog? Him name is Hopkin Green Frog. I lost my frog.

P.S> I'll find my frog.

19. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    wow...talk about taking something personaly.
    Geez.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    SoE, me proud you're learn indonesian. Your grammar, mighty good too!

;)

English is difficult to come to terms with, sure. Articles kill people, and be damned if they can remember the different between present progressive and present continuous half the time. I have a picture here from a train station imploring people not to jump in and out of train as it depart the station.

Their syntax may be typically Asian but that doesn't mean ours is, I think teh Syrix was saying. He is just a humble man in lollerskates.

E_S

21. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    All I'm really saying is that they're in Indonesia, so their grammar should be that of Indonesia.
    ...I guess they're simply using English for a more international effect ;)

Oh and E_S, I can't really speak Indo well anymore. That seven years of learning finished several years ago. I was pretty fluent at one point but than all my Indonesian friends left and I had no one to talk to.

:(

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But it doesn't work that way.

Any language has certain laws; from for example using the article "an" when the word following the article has a vowel sound (in including, for example, some "H" words with vowel sounds like "an hour") to using "much" with countable nouns or issues of verb tenses. Simply using English words to speak Indonesian sentiments isn't communicating at all, it's butchery.

No, they buggered up and we can laugh, as they do at us Westerners here in the Republic of China when we try to speak Chinese, which is a bloody hard language to speak.

Their English =/= mad skillz.

E_S

23. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Fair enough.
    I almost started learning Chinese (Mandarin) a few years back when I was thinking of going there for Kung Fu, but it just never happened.
    I've heard Japanese and English are the hardlest languages to learn...guess it all depends on what your born langauge is.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Statements like that are misleading.

English is a very complex language, and the task for ESL teachers of teaching a living (evolving) language is to try and prepare people with the best foundation for later. However, English is the most common second language on the planet, so it's doing something right.

Latin's a pain to learn. Romani ite domum!

Stupid third person present indicative...

Mandarin Chinese, and indeed alot of Asian languages are hard to learn for they don't follow the grammar and syntax structures we do. You can't stick little qualifiers or adjectives on randomly, and if it works in one sentence it may not work elsewhere. Also pronunciation is very difficult. For example, sorry is written in pinyin as duibuqi, but you say "Dway-boo-chi". Or "xie xie", which is thank you, "Sher-sher".

Japanese has a buttload of characters to learn. I mean, I'm starting a mandarin course proper in Sept, and I have no intention of learning to write it just yet...

E_S

25. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    I know I'm digging a grave saying this here, but I have always wanted to learn Irish-Gaelic.
    Just don't know where to do it.
    Ahwell.

Woops, a wee off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.