main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

School Uniforms-Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by JediOverlord, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Yea. Some people dress really inappropriately in school (super short shorts, T-shirts with obscene logos, etc.). This way, kids from lower income families will be on the same level as their peers. I was always mocked in middle school for not having the "right" super-expensive brand name clothes. It would probably save parents some money!

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Innapropriate clothing can be taken care of with a dress code. A uniform is not neccesary.

3. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    My school has a dress code and you'd be amazed with what people can get away with.

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    So because some kids flaunt their super-expensive clothes, everyone should be punished by having to wear a uniform?

I'm not buying it. I was teased for many things in middle school and was so miserable I begged my parents to homeschool me. None of these had anything to do with how I dressed.

Uniforms will NOT eliminate bullies. Those that teased about clothes will find something new to tease about.

5. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    As long as the school provided the uniforms at no cost to students or parents, then YES! That would take care of the snobbery that results from rich kids acting like they are gods.

6. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Oh, for the last time, they STILL will! "Look at my hairstyle, look at my jewelery, look at my shoes, look at the car I drove to school in." Uniforms will NOT solve the problem.

7. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    "Look at my hairstyle, look at my jewelery, look at my shoes, look at the car I drove to school in." Uniforms will NOT solve the problem.

You know what, even though I despise those people, they have a right to do that. They(or their parents) used their effort to purchase their expensive clothes and cars. There's nothing you can do about that.

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Rebecca, with uniforms....they could also say NO JEWELRY, or something like that. You are becoming awfully defensive about this. Were uniforms a part of your schooling experience?

:D

9. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    No.

But getting to wear what I want to school was my ONLY CHOICE. And also, I was the victim of a lot of bullying and misery in school. NONE OF IT HAD TO DO WITH CLOTHES. Kids like me would still suffer. Schools are deluding themselves if they think this will help, at all.

10. Kuna_Tiori

Kuna_Tiori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Rebecca, what effect do you think the implementation of school uniforms will bring? Would it have no effect? Would it make teasing/other "problems" with free dress even a LITTLE bit better? Or even make things worse?

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Hell bloody no!

I have good reasons for not wanting school uniforms. I also had to wear school uniforms so I know what its like.

1: It costs alot of money to buy specific clothing for your child(ren). Especially when said child(ren) is growing. It also costs alot of money to wash these specific cloths every day or two. Do you know how much water and detergent you can go through in a month?

2: School uniforms does not prevent violence, name-calling, and other such emotional and troublesome problems. Students will continue to make fun of you. They will continue to find something wrong with your cloths. Students will also continue to untuck their shirts, keep their waist line below their butts, and add chains and other such things to their person without caring whether they violate the dress code or not.

3: School uniforms does not prevent students from smuggling in cigerettes, drugs, guns, knives, bombs etc.

4: School uniforms add to the problem of non-students trespassing school property to sell drugs and cigerettes and cause violence. All they have to do is buy the uniform.

5: School uniforms are uncomfortable.

6: School uniforms add the feeling of a prison to a school. Especially to schools that do have bars and metal detectors on them.

7: It is an annoyance to have to change out of your school uniform into regular clothing. It is also an annoyance to keep said uniform from getting ripped, dirty, etc and therefore will have to replace said uniform if it can not be properly cleaned.

8: It is also an annoyance to iron the pants and the shirt if the uniform requires ironing.

12. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    This debate is so incredibly alien to me. In Puerto Rico, EVERY student in EVERY school, be it private or public HAS to wear uniform. The only schools that don't have uniforms here are the schools within U.S. military bases.

Just the idea of no uniform would have made me drool when I was in high-school.

You have any idea how depressing is to look around your classroom and everybody is dressed exactly the same? In my schools, even the walls were painted the same colors as the unifoms: light blue and grey. It was a nightmare.

When my friends and I went through our mallrat phase, we tryied to show some creativity wearing boots instead of the required shoes and wearing dark shirts below our uniform shirts.

But still, it was horrible.

13. EmpressKatSkywalker

EmpressKatSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    I say NO.

Amongst the tons of reasons I would give you, mainly on the educative and moral side, I choose to focus on the economical issue (the "poor child" one, if you want). Let's say you live into a VERY poor family (yes, there are everywhere, not only into the "3rd world"- I live into a rich region, but lots of my schoolmates were drammatically poor). Your income is just enough for you to met end's meet- schooling costs, even when you're into a statal/public school. Books and other articles (pens, exercise-books,...) cost- most of my mates needed financial help from the school itself (not always granted).

Do you really think a poor family can afford uniforms? I think it would be too much. Or maybe, only for one child. But children use to grow, you know.
    And do you believe that, even if they could afford it, that uniform would be brand-new, perfect, good-looking like the one most fortunate pupils wear? In the years after WWII my granma was a primary school teacher- most of the children didn't have shoes, and their uniforms were old, passed-on ones that *did* mark their difference between them and their schoolmates in a very, very easy way...

In the end, I think that this reason is just hypochritical. Do not hide behind other people's poverty...

Empress Kat

14. Demona_Jade

Demona_Jade Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    Yea.

I think any type of "drone syndrome" is FAR outweighed by the fact that it is one less thing for kids to pick on other kids about... :)

15. jc_stratus

jc_stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    my serious answer is nay

but my slightly more amusing sarcastic answer is yay

we already are teaching kids to think the same we might as well make them look the same too

16. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Mmm . . . school uniforms

I think they should be cumpulsory for all girls between the ages of 16 and 30. I'm a strict authoriatarian, you see.

you are a bad, bad man, and i love you.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Uniforms? Nay.

A strict dress code? Yea.

A dress code will eliminate many of the same problems that a uniform will, without the pain in the ass of having to wear a uniform.

18. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    What about natural things like eye color and hair color and facial features? What would be done about that? Featureless masks and baldness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.