main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sci-fi/ fantasy book discussion group

Discussion in 'Archive: Lubbock, TX' started by TI1420, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    For any lurkers out there who may be interested:

A sci-fi/fantasy book discussion group is forming here in Lubbock. The first meeting will be Wednesday, May 5th at the Godeke Library at S.Loop 289 and Quaker Ave. at 7pm. After this, we plan on meeting the first Wednesday of every month.

The first book we will discuss will be "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" by Alan Dean Foster, the first Star Wars novel.

We will mostly concentrate on Star Wars books, but each week the book choice rotates to another member in the group, who is free to pick any sci-fi/fantasy novel.

If you would like to attend, or would like more information, please feel free to contact myself, Dinochick, or JediMasterEd via PM.

2. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    splinter OF the mind's eye! ;)

3. dinochick

dinochick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    Ouch!, I think I have something in my eye. Can you get it out for me JediMasterEd? Wow look at that, its a splinter (LOL ;)) Yes I know I am a smart (|)

4. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    5 May meeting re-cap:

Brent, Robert, Ryan, Nathan, and myself met up last night to remove the Splinters from our Minds's Eyes and had a great time. As Brent said, there was more fun in discussing this book than in reading it.

After a nice talk about various and sundry points in the Foster novel, we agreed on a next book and meeting time.
    Hopefully some of you lurkers and in-frequent visitors will be able to read the book and make it to the next meeting.

Here's the scoop on that:

Star Wars Book Discussion Group (next meeting we'll work on a snappier name)

Wednesday, June 2, 7pm @ Godeke Library

The book for the June meeting is "Shatterpoint" by Matthew Stover. This is a Clone Wars era novel and I hear it is quite good.

Please join us!!

5. dinochick

Jul 7, 2002
    Can anyone give me the tital for the next book we are going to read. I am trying to find it on Amazon, but can't remeber the exact title :p LOL
    Thanks

6. jedimasterED

Oct 10, 1999
  7. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Just a reminder....

Next meeting is Wednesday, July 7th at 7pm at the Godeke Library (just inside the south loop at Quaker)

After, I am heading over to a little bar called "the Sting" to enjoy some cold beer and hear the legendary Dangerous Dan play some good blues music. It should be a Mos Eisley Cantina-like time, and I encourage everyone to come as well!

8. jedimasterED

Oct 10, 1999
    I'll be bringing some sur(prize)s for 3 lucky fans! See you there!

9. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Got your event posted. :)

Have fun. :D

10. JarodDaKarr

JarodDaKarr Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2004
    I'll be there. I'll be a little late since I get off at strait up 7, but I'll be there shortly after that.

11. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    We're looking forward to meeting you! I'll bring a couple of blasters and maybe a helmet.

12. JarodDaKarr

JarodDaKarr Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2004
    It was great to meet everyone last night. We had a good time.

New book for those who are interested for next month is Shadows of the Empire.

13. dinochick

Jul 7, 2002
    Are we meeting this monday?

14. jedimasterED

Oct 10, 1999
    Wednesday. We meet the first Wednesday of the month. Godeke Branch Library, South Loop 289 and Quaker Avenue, 7:00 p.m. We're discussing Shadows of the Empire.

15. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep. Wednesday at 7. We should have a few new faces- a couple of folks have emailed me and expressed interest.

After the meeting, I plan on going to the Sting, a little bar on 69th st behind Brunswick Bowling, to hear Dangerous Dan play some blues. It's sortof a "Mos Eisley Cantina" experience, and I hope some of you will be able to join me there.

See you all Wednesday!

16. dinochick

Jul 7, 2002
    Drat, I have plans with friends to go see the Village at the Drive-in of Wednesday :( Maybe I can still make it, it seems to be light outside still at 7 nad I am sure they cant show the movie outside till its dark, right?

17. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Just a reminder...

The book group will meet tomorrow (Wednesday Sept 1st) at Godeke library, 7pm. The book this time is the Marvel Comics collection Vol. 2

About 8pm or so, we'll be taking a field trip over to Barnes & Nobles to check out the Brian Herbert book signing and discussion. I've been reading the "Legends of Dune" series by him and it is fantastic!

There is also a chance of going 'round the corner after that to see Dangerous Dan play at the Sting bar on 69th and Wayne after the book signing.

Check here for a really neat activity for us October 1st...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.