Tucson Sci-fi, Fantasy, yeah, and Horror TV Series Critique; for you, by you

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, Feb 23, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    PRIME DIRECTIVE for this thread: Agree to Disagree.

Feel free to discuss and debate any Sci-fi, Fantasy, and Horrror TV Series on this thread. Just remember, you are expressing your opinion, which cannot be wrong. Others may agree or disagree with you, which is based on their opinion, which, also, cannot be wrong.
  2. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Damian, what the duece is "Blakes7"? I've never heard of it.
  3. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Best TV shows on right now in my opinion:

1. LOST
    2. Battlestar Galactica
    3. Heroes

Here are my reasonings:
    1. Makes you think. Amazing script, amazing characters, amazing plot, amazing locations, amazing dialogue, just all around AMAZING!!! Were it a big enough franchise (or whatever word I am looking for), it may be above Star Wars in my life.

2. Lovable Characters, controversial topics, amazing plot, intense suspense, and HOT CYLONS!!! Up there with LOST, but there are a couple rare times when it disapoints me.

3. Awesome characters, even better plot, So many story lines to keep up with, but none of them bore you. Better in some ways than other shows, but some things aren't that great. All around though a great show.
  4. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Blakes 7 was a BBC sci-fi show from the late 70s. It was created and written by Terry Nation (of Dr. Who fame who wrote episodes of that show from 1965 to today. He also created the Daleks and Davros).

Also, an old BBC show called "The Tripods" was quite good.

If you want funny (python type) but set in a scifi setting: BBC's Red Dwarf (I have 6 seasons on VHS). It was extreamly funny and creative, yet silly.

5. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    Space Above and Beyond was one Military Sci-Fi series that I saw as never having a chance to grow on the public's awareness due to being pre-empted by sports events on the Fox Television Network and rescheduling during its single season run. In many ways it was a very well put together quality Sci-Fi series that should have been given more favor by Fox but never was. It made you think.
  6. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Holy George Lucas Special Editions Ripoff, Batman!

A local TV station, I won't mention Channel 18 by name, has taken to showing Star Trek TOS on Sunday nights. Only thing is, they have replaced the old matte fx shots with CGI. Have not yet seen the opening intro yet, so I don't know if they have doctored the opening credits or not, but apparently all the stock shots of the Enterprise circling worlds are now CGI. For me, it seems to work well.
  7. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    No, the beginning is the same, or so subtle that I really don't notice.

These version(s) have been shown in Europe. I taped the 1st one that they changed. I thought it was very well done, not at all over the top and very simple and understated. Very respectful of the original effects.
  8. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it was called "RANGERS" or was it "SPACE RANGERS" anyhow it was several years back and only asted like 3 episodes but I liked it alot! Firefly reminded me of it.

SEAQUEST/SEAQUEST DSV
    Still cant believe no one has mentioned it! We used to watch that show all the time it gat kinda weird in the last season but I missed so many episodes I would like to see it all again!
  9. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    yes, sci-fi runs it now and then. I have some (if not all) of the series on VHS. I taped them first run.

Anyone remember about 10 years ago a very low budget show on UPN or Fox called space police? Or something like that. I remember it was entertaining but quite bad. It had an alien chief of police that sported a very heavy irish accent. Very odd.
  10. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be to what I am refferring to Damian.
  11. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone see Pans Labrynth? heard it was good
  12. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I have two friends that saw this and loved it... and neither of them are sci fi or fantasy buffs.. but they are both foreign film buffs... so it met one of their criteria.. I am still wanting to see this one.. but Jake is not into subtitles at all.. if it is still showing at foothills and anyone wants to go I would love to go and see it.
  13. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Babalyon 5: Lost tales

Good (like the TV series) but short.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby