Sci Fi Immersion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Night4554, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    When you're reading a Science Fiction Book, occasionally, it you have an exceptionally good writer, you find yourself "immersed". Let me define what I mean by that. I don't mean you feel as if you're in the book. I don't mean you care about the characters. I mean you take the Science Fiction aspects and go, "Why not?"

An example for me:
    The Ender's Game series. I began thinking of philotes and thought, well it makes sense, why not?

What books have you been immersed in?
    Would you recomend it to another reader?
    How exactly did the writer manage to do such a comlex thing. To make you beleive in their world.

¤Night
  2. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Allow me to try and make an intelligent post [face_blush]

Everytime I read a science fiction novel, I always take into account wether or not it could be taken real. Now, I'm going to get really, really cheesy here, but... whenever I read X-Files novels (not the shows), I always imagine how they could so easily happen. Nothing seems impossible to me nowadays, especially after my little experience with the military and government agencies. Sure, some things seem far fetched, but once I allow my imagination to set free, I have an entire view of how everything could happen.

I think I'm getting what you're saying.. let me know if I'm not :)
  3. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'm not usually into heavy Sci Fi, that is, when I come to the deep scientific explination for something I confess I usually skim it. However, it does give me an odd sense of immersion that the author has taken the time to actually plot it out.
  4. Blix Jedi Knight

star 1
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.

This novel was the basis for the film Blade Runner and if you've seen the film you know how good the story is. I was really drawn into the world Dick created and I love the futuristic sets.

The characters were well written and you start to feel for the androids.

I rate this book a 10/10!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.