main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Science and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A New Star Wars internet show is coming and it's all about how science relates to Star Wars and what new gadgets are coming that seem straight out of Star Wars! Hosted by Anthony from the Star Wars show! Starts sometime in September.

The Announcement and sneak peek

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks cool. It'd be great if they got some of the guys from Mythbusters to appear, since they recreated quite a bunch of SW tech, for science!

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    As someone who watches star wars (and is a fan in general) for the escapism of star wars I can only think to use this emoji to describe this concept [face_sick]

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Didn't they make R2 for the PT?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It's just science

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I watch star wars for science fantasy

Not science fact!

However if people are excited for this I won't begrudge them of enjoying it. I just think this star wars science show is just Disney blatantly milking the brand for all it's worth.

7. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Well, I mean, there's a little fantasy in every bit of sci-fi. DNA cannot last for millions of years nor can it be found in amber, so one could say its kinda a "fantasy" aspect of Jurassic Park, which is considered sci-fi. Aliens visiting humans and controlling their evolution or space colonies existing in 2001 is pretty fantastic, nevertheless 2001: A Space Odyssey is considered pretty hard sci-fi. Despite their fantastic elements, you can still analyze the science behind them and draw parallels with the real world. (are the dinosaurs accurate? is the physics of the spinning space ship accurate? etc). Star Wars is certainly way further along on the fantasy spectrum than either of those films. Still, its fun to think about. Kinda like how its fun to think about the physics of Christopher Reeve's Superman catching a falling Lois Lane even though flying men is impossible or how to resolve the logical paradoxes within Back to the Future or Terminator (even though their respective time travel methods are fantastical).

8. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    Looking forward to seeing real life scientific connections to the Star wars universe. Its cool to know that Star wars and other sci fi are a factor in creating new technologies.

Can't wait to have a bacta tank in the future, those aches and pains don't cure themselves. :)

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Do we know if it will air on Star Wars YouTube channel? I am assuming it will

10. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Ever seen those forcefields across the mouths of starship hangars that impound the atmosphere, while allowing ships to ingress and egress freely?

Those are pretty much real. They are known as plasma windows. However... they require about 20kw of power per square inch, to keep atmosphere at 1 bar (earth surface pressure) seperated from hard vacuum on the other side. This means that even for an aperature the size of a 3 x 7 foot domestic door, it would require 60MW to maintain it, equivalent to the entire output of a small power plant. Never mind the huge starship hangar entrances of sci-fi shows like SW.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    First episode. The actual experiment was cool but my god the format is awful, it's like the screen has ADD.

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I didn't mind it. I like learning about science stuff and what's possible in reality.

I think it's weird that such an educational program is associated with Star Wars, which isn't really grounded in science at all. But for what it was, I think it was ok.

I'm guessing that it's going to openly acknowledge that little within Star Wars is possible but then show the closest theories and approximations in real life.

Maybe they'll talk about how Hyperspace is made up mumbo jumbo and discuss real space travel. Or discuss blasters vs real military lasers. Holographic technology, etc.

I never would have expected Star Wars to really embrace the whole science education angle with SW personalities doing experiments and what not, but I think it's decent. I'm all for exposing kids to science, and if Star Wars can somehow steer kids towards science, then I'm all for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They need something to put on their channel.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This show has actually been good. I learn new things about technology.

15. Ben Shrann

Ben Shrann Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2017

I would like them do a new episode involving busting of R2 traveling over sand, when 3PO & R2 first landed in the sand, busting Vader's ability to survive in his suit for extended periods & busting the Death Star's beam of energy being able to destroy a planet in a few seconds

16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I don't mind science in SW. Even in the actual shows and movies a little bit of hard science occasionally crept in. Like when Dooku erased Kamino from the Jedi archives, but forgot to account for its (or more accurately, its star's) gravitational perturbations of nearby stars. Thus allowing Obi-Wan to zero its location. I mean that is straight out of real life science - one of the ways that astronomers look for objects that are difficult to see directly, (such as black holes, or other objects of significant mass but low luminosity) is to look for gravitational effects on nearby objects.

What I absolutely do not want in SW is the introduction of Star Trek TNG style avalanches of technobabble. The sort where Geordi LaForge would go off on a run-on sentence of mumbo jumbo with words like "polarity" "phase" "inverse tachyon", and something about the main deflector, sprinkled liberally throughout. Basically a lot of stuff that's supposed to sound sciencey in a futuristic kind of way, but might as well be incantations of magic spells. Geordi says all this stuff, Picard says "make it so" and just like that the dire problem of the week is solved and the episode wrapped up.

If that garbage crept into SW it would put me off. But a little actual science thrown in here or there, that works in context, is unobtrusive and moves the story forward naturally... is fine by me. Like the above example with Kamino.