main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Science-Fiction in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karohalva, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I've always thought that SW never really delved into the science behind how life really works. How does a repulsor work? Objects that hover take a LOT of energy to maintain, at least here on earth. Surely not everything needs to powered by repulsor. Why do we not see wheeled traffic? The wheel is one of the oldest tools known, surely the ancient dwellers of the deep core would have discovered this.

Why is almost everything powered by rocket engines? Again, rockets are terribly inefficient; there is a reason that we use turbojet technology for our inter-atmospheric flight. If you want to move goods or people from A to B on one planet, an airfoil is a MUCH cheaper way to accomplish it rather than rockets and repulsors.

I think we need more 'science' in our EU.

2. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    Heck, I don't think the Yuuzhan Vong necessarily have all that "sci-fi" of a feel to them. Unless you want to include Independence Day as sci-fi. I can't be the only one who thinks of the Independence Day aliens when they start describing Vong technology.

3. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    One whole other aspect is the films always having the 'hardware' very much in focus, (actually it pretty much fetishizes it, with makes, models and updated versions) and I think a great way of adapting that element to the written word is through tech-talk. I think Zahn is particularly good at this, and it gives his better books a feeling of Star Warsyness stronger than much other EU.

4. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    As if you of all people wouldn't wear bug pants.

Hence my "maybe". I acknowledge the criteria for science-fiction differs from person to person. Yuuzhan Vong belonging more to the science- than fantasy- of Star Wars is debatable at best, but it has been too long since I read the NJO for me to take a more concrete or elaborate stance. Do please elaborate though.