main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scientific Anomalies in the Star Wars Universe

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JBRO13, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    That's great. Ben has this look on his face the whole time like "You are so fulla ---- ."

2. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    I don't feel like have this dead thread on my record...

3. Anima_Mundi

Anima_Mundi Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2004
    In astrophysics, it is quite possible for planets to orbit twin suns.
    A perfect example of this is the Sirius star system, one star is a blue giant, the other is a white dwarf. Furthermore as I understand it, at the very least the forth one out could quite possibly be able to sustain life. So in theory, Tatooine could easy support life because the planet Tatooine, is the forth one in the system...
    Does that seem right to you?

4. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    I suppose so...

Something I just thought of about the Hoth base: Glacial ice isn't stable, but flows, rapidly enough to be noticed by people who have cut big holes in it and plan to use it long-term. The Empire did the Rebels a favor by invading. ;)

5. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Tauntauns that die of the cold...

I don't think it died from the cold, but from exhaustion. Han had to have it running around all day long while he kept turning up the heat in his electric longjohns, the Tauntaun sucked in too much cold air & got hypothermia in it's lungs or something.

I got a scientific anomoly that is the same in the SW universe & here.

People who can claim to use telekinesis, telepathy, ESP, supernatural powers, or bend spoons with their mind, are thought of as nonexistant or frauds in our society, just like how the people of the OT movies feel about the Jedi order. If someone believes a person has these powers, they are deemed a threat to national security & most likely will end up on a lab table dissected. When people were killing off witches, it was the Earth version of a Jedi purge.

6. Ninja_Gayden

Ninja_Gayden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2004
    I always wondered about a lightsaber. You would need the power of a small generator just to power it but the big question is how do you get it to stop at a certain height.

7. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Ninja-Gaiden, go check out the 1st page of this thread. Someome posted a link to a science guy talking about the dynamics of a lightsaber & how at this time it isn't possible only because a reliable power source would add about 300 extra pounds to to the saber.

8. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Saber blades don't "stop" at 3'. They curve back into the handle, so it's one big loop.
    I admit that doesn't make any more sense, but I just had to say it! ;)

9. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    Another the whole Anoat/Bespin thing hasn't come up for a long time on this thread, but I was thinking: all EU aside, is there any reason Bespin can't be a planet in the Anoat system?

This seems to me, given the possibilities, the best answer. Without an "emergency hyperdrive" the Falcon couldn't have travelled between star systems, and an emergency drive takes the urgency out of the story. Plus, there's no reason a planet within a system shouldn't have a different name from the star.

I know EU contradicts this and puts Bespin in its own system, but there are a lot of problems with the EU.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the SDs were between systems but close enough to bespin that Han could make it there at high sublight speeds.

The only thing that kills the idea that Luke spent months in training while Han and gang went to bespin is that they didn't change clothes in all that time. [face_shocked]

really though, time dilation could have been a big factor, it may have taken them 1-3 months in real time to get there while they only experienced a few hours or days while at a high percentage of lightspeed.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    time dilation could have been a big factor

Now that's a neat point. I keep forgetting there should be some time dilation when traveling at sublight in the GFFA because it's hard to think scientifically in a universe where anyone can go at superluminal speeds. However: assume Han and Leia were accelerating away from Luke the whole time they were in the Falcon. From their frame of reference, he'd be the one accelerating from them, so if you have to invoke time dilation to make the timeline seem longer in one frame than another, you run into problems. In the twin paradox, you can only conclusively say one person is older than the other when they turn around and come back (and hence change accelerations, meaning special relativity will no longer apply).

Damn. I'm not good with relativity. I hope I reasoned that out correctly.

I'm wondering what sort of time dilation would occur when going faster than light. Maybe the speed of light can also be tangentially approached from above and there's a reverse effect (the faster you go, the less time dilation).

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    On another note...

People who can claim to use telekinesis, telepathy, ESP, supernatural powers, or bend spoons with their mind, are thought of as nonexistant or frauds in our society, just like how the people of the OT movies feel about the Jedi order.

I don't think they're analogous. People who claim to have telepathy or ESP can't demonstrate to the satisfaction of science that they really have these powers. If you try to test one of those people at random by stopping someone on the street and asking the person to read their mind, they won't be able to do it. Jedi abilities, however, are testable. You can prove the Jedi aren't doing parlor tricks because you can ask them to read any person's mind, or to pick up any random object without giving them advance notice so they can rig things.

That's why I don't like it when fans claim the introduction of midichlorians into the saga changed the Force from religion into science. To some extent, the Force has always been science.

13. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    i have always found it wierd how the fighter pilots didnt freeze to death, when, against the horrible cold of space, had only a thin length of glass to cover them.

14. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    how about han, leia, and chewie walkin around in an asteroid with no space suits

15. ivaj

ivaj Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2004
    how about han, leia, and chewie walkin around in an asteroid with no space suits
    hahaha, yeah. or how about padme pushing the same button twice, that would take her to obiwan and transmit the message to the jedi council.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm wondering what sort of time dilation would occur when going faster than light. Maybe the speed of light can also be tangentially approached from above and there's a reverse effect (the faster you go, the less time dilation).

I'm not sure, but if infinite energy could be used to push you past lightspeed you would see time flow backwards, literally go back in time.

Wormholes trump time dilation(as do warp bubbles) as the space within the tube is normal as that which is outside. They do not trvale through the tube faster than light, the tube simply shortens the distance(the tube in wormhole talk is called "hyperspace", although this is not what SW hyperdrives are supposed to be...I think).

In the twin paradox, you can only conclusively say one person is older than the other when they turn around and come back

Well, they do meet up again. If TD is a factor then Luke is older than he would normally have been in relation to Han and Leia since he used hyperspace to get around and was not effected by time dilation. If Solo simply accelerated all the way to Bespin at sublight speeds he essentially traveled forward in time faster than Luke did.

There is something missing there. I have never speculated on the relationships of time dilation when sublight speeds and hyperspace in SW are compared. :confused:

17. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    when luke and vader are fighting with sabers, there are shadows from the blades on the ground. this is incorrect, since light sorces cannot become shadows themselves.

also lightsabers dont exist. [face_plain]

18. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    this is incorrect, since light sorces cannot become shadows themselves.

They do if a greater light source is showing on them.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    It's dark in both the carbon freezing chamber and the Emperor's throne room. In which scene do the sabers have shadows? I never noticed that.

I have never speculated on the relationships of time dilation when sublight speeds and hyperspace in SW are compared.

... that's the trouble, isn't it. :p

20. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    i don't know where it was but i rember reading that hoth may not be a logical planet as is tattoine. In the sense of their environments. I belive that given the right conditions its very possible. Look at mars. Its all Desert Rock minus its polar caps.I would think that Tat. would not hav polar caps becuase of the binary suns. I thinkg that is logical, maybe not factual.

In the case of the tauntauns you could always say that the rebels brought the them like spanish did with the horses in america and mexico. Its kinda taking the back door on the convo. but if it needs to be explained.
    dkt out

21. muunbiem

muunbiem Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    I got one for ya. Why would one use a ship with a solar sail (Dooku), when your traveling "faster than light"?

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought that was covered here but I'm too lazy to look back.

Dooku's sail can probably work like solar sails on our drawing boards right now.

But that is not the way it is being used in the film.

First off it is the repulsorlift that is giving the initial acceleration. Then the sail can take over as a regular old solar sail.

The sail itself is not used for sublight travel, only as an FTL system.

The ICS says it somehow interacts with hyperspace. Kind of an odd design, but whatever.

There was a bit of pseudo-science involving a group that designed a teardrop shaped craft. The hull would be charged in such a fashion that it would become a singular electromagnetic system. It would then quantum tunnel its way around the galaxy.

Macro scale objects(you, me, trees, space shuttles) have too much information going on to be "tunneled". So this charging effect was supposed to allow a macro scale object behave as a singular quantum state device. It was a bunch of mumbo jumbo really, but it sounded like a good sci fi engine to me.

Dooku's "Solar" sailor might work that way. Perhaps resonating to a particular tone that matches the frequency of hyperspace.

Something like that.

In the Art Of The Phantom Menace one of the concept designs for Amidala's Royal Cruiser was a solar sail type craft. GL just wanted to put one on screen really.

23. muunbiem

muunbiem Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    Thank you very much. You just made me realize something. I have a life.
    Later.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    And it's a beautiful life too. :)

25. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    They do if a greater light source is showing on them.

true, but i didnt see anything in that room brighter than the sabers.

so... for now, file this one under "scientific anomalies"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.