main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

* SCIFI 3D being dropped from TFN *

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    All the more reason why I don't understand why we got the axe. Sounds cheap to me. So far this week we average 4000 unique hits/day. Fan Films probably gets many time more than that. Not to mention all those downloads. I think it honestly has more to do with personal philosophy. On paper it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. SF3D is pretty small and a big part of Fan Films. I was given the impression that we just are too much of a resource hog but that doesn't make sense to me now I look at our stats. I think maybe Philip just wants to take TFN back to it's roots. Just news and some entertainment. He had the resources in the beginning and took on everybody he could.

2. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    I don't know the dude, but from everything I've heard and read (which has been plenty), Phil Wise is one crazy mugga.

3. sithjeff

sithjeff Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2005
    How about making a petition of all the users that would like SCIFI3d forum to stay?

4. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    If Phil's calling the shots, I can pretty much guarantee that wouldn't do anything.

5. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    I a waiting to set up an account with googlepages. I get 100 mb there. I could then host a good number of models. I say one person creates a freeweb account for the models and everyone can pitch in with storing models on there server and i can link them all on the freeweb account.

6. Khalor

Khalor Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 3, 2004
    Freewebs just doesn't have the bandwidth to cope with that kind of system, dude.

7. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Plus I don't want to have to come after your for mirroring our content. We don't want anybody doing something like that in an un-official way. THe content is the sites livelyhood. So don't do anything that would actually hurt SCIFI 3D. Thanks.

8. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    So far the options are/were...

1). something like Servage.com. BUT... they as with many others don't support ASP and our site is ASP-driven.

2). Tim Brazeal who is the guy who runs trekunited.com and saveenterprise.com might be interested in hosting SF3D. He raised 3 million dollars through fans to keep star trek alive for one more season and offered it to paramount. Paramount turned the fans down and closed it's doors to trek. Anybody know him?

3). Aceman at SCIFI-MESHES.com is offering to share his server with us for $40/month. He's checking the ASP thing too.

9. Ishyko

Ishyko Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2000
    Go with Tim. I can't say enough good things about this person. He's reliable, responsible, and extremely straightforward. I believe your site will benefit tremendously with someone like him working with you. Trek is extremely high profile and your site should do very well tying in with them.

10. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    I've been thinking about this actually for several years b/c I knew the SW movies were coming to a close and interest in TFN might wane.

Well what about when the TV series comes out? Plus the 3D Animation series? Starwars will just boom back up and that will spark interests again.

Besides, I already told Zoo in the sci-fi thread that I am willing to help out in any way possible. I would be willing to host as many things as possible plus I made a suggestion on making Sci-fi 3D a yearly membership for the serious. I made the suggestion of paying like $1.00 a month ($12.00 a year) I figure $12.00 from everyone a year would help alot!

~Rory

11. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    In spite of all of that, interest has already faded. That's why ad revenue is down. I think SW is going to fall into cult status now. It's gonna get a lot quieter unless for some reason Lucas decides to make some other films. It'll never completely die but you can't expect the same crowds anymore.

I think since you made that suggestion there's been a $1 donation.. and PayPal took .33cents of that. I told people in the Agreement Form about doing that. But uh... if people want to donate it's always been out there and in the Agreement Form. Plus we've been talking about it in 4 diff. threads here on TFN. And I've never really wanted to do anything intrusive like donation banners or something.

12. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    There's a few transparent peer-to-peer distribution services that may help you out here. Drop me an email at Betternights@gmail.com and I can run you through some of them, if you like.

13. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    I doubt that interest is going to fade and just hit cult status, especially with 2 TV shows on the horizon in the next couple of years.

14. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey TV shows are very powerful! Sometimes better than the movies!!! Look at Star Gate!

~Rory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.