main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SCIFI 3D days on TFN servers are coming to a close.

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh my god, I can't believe it,

K zit hier verdomme met allemaal nederlanders :p

Which provider is it? If I can host my schoolwork there for 1 Euri... would be fijn

2. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    www.space1.nl

:)

Of cource the costs for registration come with that for the first year....after that not....

it would be 44 ? (for 1000 mb webhosting)

that is extreamily cheap here......

(Leuk dat ik hier met veel nl'er's zit :p)

3. mishra

mishra Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2004
    Sounds to good to be true, they even have ASP on their Windows acounts! :D
    Haven't found the catch yet, if there is one...

EDIT: Found one... they'll cap when you pass the 50 Gig bandwidth a month, still not bad though...

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Except that 50 GB would be soaked up very quickly with a site like SF3D. ;)

5. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    mmm well it is at least something :p

6. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    I don't know if there's been a resolution to this yet, but maybe the Scifi-meshes option wouldnt be best, considering the problems they've been having over there...

7. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    If we're still kicking around the whole membership charge thing...let me tell you something. If you want younger 3D artists, the vast majority of parents will never put their credit card number out for something they won't use. So, please do not charge members anything monthly.

8. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    That's what I'm worrying about with my parents [face_worried]

9. Jaren_Valnor

Sep 19, 2004
    I know...I don't really download the models, but my friend who helps me on fanfilms does . . . and I doubt he'd be allowed to continue to download if you charged.

10. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Looks like we're going with SCIFI-MESHES. The Tim Brazeal option never worked out. This guy just wouldn't return any emails. Just have to check some final tech. specs with SFM and it's a done deal. $20/month. I'm going to run Google Ads and maybe some other things to help off-set the costs. I never mentioned anything about paying memberships as an option. I will personally pay $240/year. People can donate volunatarily. It's worth it to me b/c a lot of people have put great time into the site and I would never let it die.

11. Brian_Gabriel

Brian_Gabriel Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2006
    Not sure if someone mentioned it above but..

why don't you make a forum for free..

I never come on Sci-Fi 3d stuff, i'm not that intrested in it. I was just browsing around and saw this topic, I thought this could help.

Making a forum for free, about Sci-Fi 3d only, incase it comes off theforce.net

Just a thought.

12. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Well the problem is not realy the forum itself, but scifi3D content, dozens of 3D models. Many people come to download 3D meshes, but actually, very few come to the forum, except 12 years old fanfilmers asking for help. So seeing scifi3D forum dieing wouldn't be such a waste, most of us already moved to scifi-meshes, which is a real 3D community. They are very star trek oriented, but if scifi3D move there, maybe star wars wips will get more attention.
    Oh, and this way we'll a have a real forum, where you can have you own avatar, post pictures easily, edit your message whenever you want, choose your password...

Edit: I don't want to see scifi3D die, this where I started as a noob, and now I get paid 1500$ just to model a single character, so I can make a donation sometimes.

13. EvilleJedi

EvilleJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    We are using 1&1 dedicated hosting for swrebellion.com

it's $89/month for 1.5 TB of transfer/month (I've seen 300-400 k/s consistantly) something like 40gig of actual server space. with google adsense we are making roughly 60%-100% of our monthly payment with around 3000 active members spread through our own forums and the pff (Petroglyph official fan forums) forums.

the bandwidth is what kills you with file downloads, (even torrents, cause if you seed every file even at a throttled level you are talking a continous load that adds up every second of every day for that month)

however it is amazing how much bandwidth gets chewed up from just serving thumbnails and interface graphics, at 200K + hits a day you would be in the GB's in just serving pages let alone content. heck we've blown our month bandwidth on one mod file release before and it was mirrored at other sites like filefront. so $500/month seems like a bargian compared to getting something less and paying the $/GB fees.

14. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Things aren't going so well at SFM now. They've tried installing ASP to run our site and it's locked up their server everytime. They are going to try to install a new version Apache and try again. It's not really looking too good. I've found that 90-99% of the hosts out there don't support ASP. So now we're back to square one again. $89/mo. is way too much for me. I'm told $10-$20/month is fine for SCIFI 3D. We get about 4 millions/hits/month. Only 4000 "UNIQUE"/visits/day. I never did get a # on bandwidth usage but there's about 60,000 downloads/month. At 10MB/day/unique visit that's 600 GIGS/month. SO.. it may not work out after all at SFM and we'll have to go back to the drawing-board on finding a host.

15. EvilleJedi

Jul 19, 2004
    the bandwidth usage is a key factor I'd suggest tracking it down better.

16. Jaren_Valnor

Sep 19, 2004
    First, the age to be a member here is 13.

Second, these "12"-year-olds are the future, and fanfilms are one of the top clients for filmmakers. When an artist free of students dies, with him passes the art.

Star Wars inspired us all (well, most of us) as kids. It is a sad thing when someone forgets this, and it would too be sad to see this forum go.

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Forums don't take the bandwidth that the main site does so I don't think there's any risk of this one using too many resources. Now that said it's up to Zoo what happens where but we have forums here that are tons larger than this and even Fan Films so I'm pretty confident it'd stay open unless chosen otherwise by SF3D staff. :)

Zoo, I'm sending you an e-mail with some info I got recently after talking with the support reps over at Servage - sounds like they may be able to run an ASP-driven site after all depending on which way it was written. May be worth testing or looking in to.

18. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    I personally drop by here on this forum every day... so I would like it if it just stays open.... just for the small topics that are mostly posted here :)

But decide it fr yourself :)

19. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Uh oh.. :_| Looks like SF3D is being run on Microsoft ASP. It has to be run on a Microsoft server. I was really liking the way Servage was looking too.

20. jedichowder

jedichowder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2006
    does this mean that the board is going too?

21. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't know? The only problem really is if we move we would want our own "official" forums. Not keep all these loose strings attached to TFN. You know. PLus we could have forums 100x better than this too. BUT... we've always encouraged people to use the SFM forums b/c it doesn't make sense to try and recreate the wheel. They have a huge community there that we can't replace or compete with. HOWEVER... what we'll probably do is maintain our relationship with SFM and use their forums for new stuff like the CONTESTS but keep this place open "unofficially".

22. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Darn, well it was a good thought. On with the hunt!

23. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998
    God forbid this place closes forever. I've been here since the beginning and even though I don't post much anymore I always check it daily.

But if it does, are you going to move the meshes to SFM, zoo? They have almost nothing as far as Star Wars stuff goes and it would be a shame for all these resources to be lost forever.

No matter what happens, zoo, I just want to personally thank you for all the work you have done over the years.

24. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Hmm... I would probably never let it die. I'd use my own retirement savings if I had to you know. A lot of people have put so much into it over the years. It's hard to imagine letting it go. SFM doesn't really have much Star Trek stuff right now either. They have to rebuild their sections since the entire site was lost in a hdd crash with no backups. I'd work with people on setting up peer-to-peer file sharing before I ever gave up even if there was no site.

Thanks. It's a completely different experience for me now but I can remember what it was like in the SWMA days. I use to visit there at least once a week sometimes everyday. So I can imagine what it's like for some people. The statistics show the 1000's who visit everyday. It's a more personal experience for me now though. I get my enjoyment going out and finding content instead of waiting to see what somebody else does.

Don't worry. This site will always be around. And if I die tomorrow we'll have it worked out so that the torch is passed onto someone else. This ASP issue is really bad though. Long time ago when Paul made the new site I told myself... "I have a bad feeling about this". I just wasn't sure it was a good idea to use ASP. Now those worries are coming true. HOWEVER.. there wasn't anybody else offering to code us a site and his content management system through the browser really saved me a lot of time. I use to edit html files manually and upload files via ftp manually. Real pain in the ass. Pretty unprofessional looking site too. But I do wish it was PHP. Nothing we can do about that now. Thanks for ANY help searching around out there for a host too.

25. EvilleJedi

Jul 19, 2004
    you can run asp on linux and apache, you just need the right stuff installed. The issue is if server extensions were used that cannot work on apacheasp, if it's all straight hand coded code then it should be fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.