main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SciFi Pinewood Derby!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Dec 23, 2012.

1. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    The story:
    David Scott had a brilliant idea to build a track and hold a pinewood derby with a scifi spin. "how cool would it be to see the Millennium Falcon race a Borg Cube?" That was all it took to get me on board. Advertise anywhere we can and invite other groups to play with us. Have fun being nerds.

The basics:
    We build a track, buy the basic car kits and offer them for around $15-$20 (includes car kit and entry fee) give folks a month or two to build their car and then race! The entry fee covers the cost of the car and the rest goes to charity. Maybe we can do this at DCC or Wings. Maybe we let Wings use it to host a cub scout event at the museum. This could be a spring build so its not too cold out when we build and paint it.

Have maybe 3 or 4 categories:
    regular cars (standard pinewood derby rules), modified (as big as you want but within the weight limit) and super modified ( as big and heavy as the track will allow... TBD) we will figure out rules and guidelines to best suit the track and keep it from being damaged.

David is willing to store the track.

I estimate it will cost around $200-$300 to build the track not including a timer. Here are the plans I have been studying to build from:
    http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/derby/track/#sections
    http://home.simplyweb.net/bosworth/track_plans.htm
    Our track will be wider than the standard track so we can fit larger cars.

I was thinking maybe when we do the build, we can also build/ make other items for charities. Scarfs for urban peak, scratching posts for Cat care society with the wood scraps.

What do you think?

FanForced likes this.
  2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I like it!

David needs to get on the boards.

3. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    Coolness!

4. jedijaysin

jedijaysin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 15, 2011
    I would like to help with the build,If you need an extra hand!

5. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    You bet Jason

6. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    I think I have spare carpet for cat scratch posts. And yeah, I'll help with the build. I'm already planning the super fast droid car!! You can give me the trophy now. LOL

7. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
  8. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    When's our first build day? Saturdays work best?

9. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Oooo, Catz, I'm sooooo making that!!! Of course, I could do a regular derby car with x-wings on it and Artoo in the back. You know, like in the movies.... heehee

catz44 likes this.
  10. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    I'll definitely be building a car. A Millennium Falcon would be awesome...even if it's too big to get to the finish line. Have to put a booster on that sucker!

11. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    How does one make a derby car?

12. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Boy Scouts have kits for them, or you can google online "how to make a derby car". It's basically balsa wood block and wheels.

13. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Kits are available elsewhere, too, like hobby shops. We're not getting them from the Boy Scouts, right?

14. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    I had a thought on this.... If we do this at wings, maybe they could start selling the kits for us at their front desk too?
    To promote the event and get more kits sold.

What do you think?

15. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    That may be a good idea, we most likely would need to give them a % of the sale. I think DH is going to buy a case at a discounted price so we can get more $ for charity... or I have no idea what's going on. You choose.

FanForced likes this.
  16. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    If DH can get a case of kits at a discounted rate then I'll get a kit from him. I only suggested Boy Scouts because they are the ones who started the derby decades ago and have been selling kits for as many years. I've always supported Boy/Girl Scouts. I was a Girl Scout, my mom was one, my brother and dad were Boy Scouts (yep, runs in the family).

17. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Would they really need a percentage? We will be promoting WOTR with the event (if we do it there) and its not like we are taking a profit its all for charity. People that come for the event might visit the museum as well thus giving them extra business and exposer. Maybe just something to mention to them. Sarnia you are our liason what do you think?

18. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
  19. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I think maybe we should talk more about it offline so we have more solid details to present to them:)

20. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Uh, I'm confused (again). I thought this was for DCC.

21. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    At the last meeting we discussed selling the kits at Starfest and DCC and then having a day in June or July at Wings when people could bring their completed cars and show them off and race them.

FanForced likes this.
  22. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Oh man, does that mean I can't post anything until the minutes are posted since I have no idea what's going on anymore? I posted something about the name badges on the new poll, but maybe you guys decided not to go with the "name badge" I suggested in another post? Just found out X-wing cleanup is Feb 9, during Galaxyfest? Clueless right now. I'm going home to snuggle with the cat (15 minutes of work left)...

SITH__CHICK likes this.
  23. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Notes are up :)

24. jedijaysin

Jan 15, 2011
    I think the pinewood derby thing is an awesome idea!

25. jedijaysin

Jan 15, 2011
    But,how many kids will be able to race? And how big will the ramp need to be? Does anyone know ?