main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SciFi's Dune and Children of Dune Miniseries

Discussion in 'Archive: Lafayette, LA' started by jmayeux, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I liked the series better than the movie too.

okay I am almost done with the sixth book and so here is my list of best to worst with them. although NONE of them are bad mind you! Best in order: Children of Dune. Heretics Of Dune, Chapterhouse Dune, Dune, God Emporer of Dune, Dune Messiah.

2. Hudel

Hudel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2002
    I've only Dune and Dune Messiah (currently rereading and in the middle of DM) and it surprises me that Dune is so far down the list. Are the others really that good?

It does not surprise me that Dune Messiah is the last. I didn't like it the first time that I read it(probably why I never went any further). As I reread it now though, I appreciate what Frank was trying to create and see it's worth. I am enjoying it more than the first time thru.

Jedi-Solo, are you planning on reading the prequel books (ChaperHouse books and Butlerian Jihad)? Let us know what you think, I will be catching up eventually.

3. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I will get the Jihad book I have heard great things about it. However I don't think I will get the House books. Heard alot of negative comments about those.

4. Hudel

Jan 17, 2002
    Really? I haven't heard much about them except that they are all intertwined with each other to take the reader to the jump off spot for Dune.

What kind of things have you heard (if you don't mind my asking)?

5. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well the 3 HOuse books take place right before Dune. Therefore they have a strict line to follow to lead up to Dune. Not alot of freedom besides just sticking to the basics.

However The Butelain Jihad takes place 10,000 yrs BEFORE Dune. That gave the authors alot more manurevibilty to create. They didn't have the presure of maybe contradicting something that Frank wrote.

Get my Picture?

6. Hudel

Jan 17, 2002
    I gotcha!

And for those keeping score, I've read Children of Dune and am now into God Emporer of Dune. Wierd to see Leto that way.

And to bring back a VERY dead horse...
    Now that I've read CoD, I see some of the major changes they did. The twins ages (although I understand the reason for this) and they left out a lot of the book's ending. Almost the whole talk with Farad'n about what part he will play, the talk of the fate of the Worms (and consequently the spice) and Leto taking over the Bene Gesseritt breeding program. They did leave in hints about Leto's future but not nearly the best parts of it.

Oh well, I shall continue to enjoy the books. Later.

7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Just wait, God Emp gets good!

I can't wait till you get to Heretics and Chapterhouse. I hope that you enjoy those as much as I did.

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey guys if yall want more info and opions then yall go the Halls of Aarrakenn thread in the Amphitheather.

I really recommend that yall go in there and take a look around. The thread is on page 15 and has alot of nice topics! Enjoy!

9. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    Book order:Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapter House Dune

So that is the order of the books. Thanks. I read Dune many moons ago and loved it. Now I know which book is next in the series.
    I saw the first dune miniseries and thought it was good but someone of the special effects and backgrounds were just flat to me. Although Lynch's Dune didn't follow the story completely I still liked it. Hell it got interested enough to read the book when I was not interested in books.

Ubi

10. Hudel

Jan 17, 2002
    And now to revive an old thread...

I have FINALLY finished the original series...Dune thru Chaperhouse Dune.

OH MY STARS AND GARTERS!!!!

I really enjoyed Chapterhouse. I would still have to say that the original Dune book was my favorite. I enjoyed them all but I gotta stick with the original as my fav.

That having been said...
    Did it kinda annoy anyone else that there was so much of a time gap between the books? Like I said, I enjoyed the books and I like the story but I kinda like the same main characters to be in all the books. Only one character was in all and he was not exactly a main character. Anyone else feel the same way?

Hudel Andam

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I was mad by the fact that the Fremen turned into a bunch of musmume artifacts.

It took me about the first two hundred pgs. of God Emperor to finally be able to accept the time jump.

Didn't you just love the Honored Matres and Miles Teg?!!!!!!

12. Hudel

Jan 17, 2002
    I agree with you on the Fremen fiasco. The badass of the galaxy turned into one large sniffling putz.

I also must say that I LOVED Miles Teg. He is SOOOOOOO kewl.

the Honored Matres are a great villian/accomplice (in the grand scheme of things).

The ending is just so final though. It makes me wonder if Hebert ever intended there to be another book. Also makes me wonder how it will flow with the others and how it will work. You know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.