main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Scion of History - Ben Skywalker April Challenge *Author Replies 5/5*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mavjade , May 1, 2006.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: Scion of History
    Author: mavjade
    Summary: Ben has a case of DWB
    Author's Notes: This is a little bit of nothing... not really any plot, pretty short, and just kinda there! It was insprired by my DWB on this challenge! :)

It's a responce to the REAL April challenge in the http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22850448/p1/?1119]Ben[/url] Skywalker Thread. The challenge was to write a story about an adult Ben who had continued to deny the Force. It had to include the words: sobriquet, scion, aberrabt, and felicity.

5/10/15- Truncation fix
    ~*~*~*~

Ben Skywalker had long ago given up the Force, refusing to follow in his parents foot steps claiming all it ever did was bring them trouble. Writing was something he had loved to do since he was very small. It brought him felicity, where there was only pain in the Force.
    For the longest of times he thought that writing would only be a pastime, something he could use as a release from real life, until a friend found a book he had been writing. This friend convinced him to find a publisher, that he could do what he loved for a living. Figuring he had nothing to lose, he did just that.

After months and months of rejection, Ben had all but given up hope when one small company decided to give an unknown a try; something they would not regret. He didn't use his real name when writing because he wanted to make it on his own, without his father's name to help him.

The holo novel, Killers Quest, was the story of a man who had turned into a ruthless murderer, killing his friends, family, and countless others all for what he thought was a noble cause. But, as it turned out, his better galaxy didn't happen quite the way he planned it. In the end, he realized this and gave his life to try and make amends for all that he had done.

Now, Ben sat at his desk, pondering what to write. Since Killer's Quest, had hit the Corellian Times Best Seller List, his publisher had been begging for more. A sequel.

I have no clue what to write about, he thought to himself. The only real character has been killed off, what more is there to write?

He had to get an idea quickly, for his deadline was fast approaching. He knew this wouldn't have been as big of a problem if he hadn't procrastinated by writing something else for several weeks, but the lack of ideas had discouraged him.

Well, you did have that one idea, but it's probably not such a good one.

As his pondering continued, a beeping came from his comm. He decided that if it was important they would leave a message; he continued to get nothing done.

"Flamer!" the sobriquet his publisher had given him due to his flaming red hair, came over the comm as a message was being left. "You had better not be answering this cause you are so deep into your writing that you didn't even hear the comm, or you're dead," he yelled with sarcasm evident in the tone of his voice. "Seriously," his voice sobered, "you've got a deadline soon, buddy. I hope you're close to being done!"

Seeing as inspiration was not coming and figuring he had no choice in the matter, he began to work on his idea from earlier: the one that didn't seem like the best of ideas.

But, where to begin?

Deciding a change might help get the creative juices flowing, he decided to return to his old aberrant ways of writing from when he was young. Grabbing a pillow from his couch and some flimsiplast from his desk, he climbed under his desk.

It might seem strange that a grown man was lying beneath a piece of furniture, but it seemed to be just what he needed. The words started to flow out of his head and onto the flimsi like a river flowing downhill. The trouble was getting them written down before the idea had vanished and his brain had moved on.

~*~*~*~

Several days of practically no sleep, very little to eat, and many cups of caf later, Scion of History was finished.

It was a story of the killer's son, whom he didn't know existed until shortly before his death. In fact, it is found out that the true way he died was to save his son's life, thus helping to restore the galaxy to its proper order.

Basically, it was the story of his father's life, with a few minor details rearranged. Unfortunately, it was close enough to the truth that his family would see the uncanny similarity. This was something they probably wouldn't be very thrilled about, but at this point, he had no choice; his deadline was today.

After comming his publisher and sending him the draft, Ben decided he had better go ahead and send a warning. He keyed in the frequency from memory and waited for the familiar face to pop up...

"Dad, I'm sorry..."

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    First Post Dance! [face_dancing]

hmm....very interesting job choice, and I see this Ben has inherited his writer's procrastination...:p

And I think it's also something good that this Ben hasn't dropped talking to his parents the way so many others have, that they still have that relationship, even if Ben has ignored that Skywalker blood screaming at him to save the galaxy...

Anyways Great post, and great response to the challenge Tahiri!

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    This is sooooo good! Can't wait for more! =D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a well written and unique view of what "might have been!" I can't wait for more. Please put me on your PM list for updates if you have one. :D

=D=

5. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I can imagine the Skywalker/Solo's won't be happy... he killed his entire family to make a better universe! LOL!

And then the son was the savior.

LOL, Ben's a hack!

LOVE it! Can't wait for more!

6. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    This is incredible my cosmic twin. You had me laughing nearly out of my chair. Ben cracked me up.

7. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I demand a sequel!

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ok, so I planned this to be a one-shot, but seeing as I didn't make it seem that way (I knew I should have put The End at the end:oops: :p ) several people want more, and I do have more plot I can write... I guess this is gonna turn into a short story!

If anyone would like a PM when I update, just let me know!

Han
    First Post Dance! [face_dancing]

:D You're pretty good at that, aren't you? :p

hmm....very interesting job choice, and I see this Ben has inherited his writer's procrastination... :p
    Yep, he did! Where do you think the plot bunny came from! :D

And I think it's also something good that this Ben hasn't dropped talking to his parents the way so many others have, that they still have that relationship, even if Ben has ignored that Skywalker blood screaming at him to save the galaxy...
    That was something I was going to do, no matter what I wrote. It would break my heart if Ben didn't speak to his parents! And I hope that they would still have a good relationship no matter what Ben chose to do, Force or not! :)

Anyways Great post, and great response to the challenge Tahiri!
    Thank you very much, Han!

Jade_Pilot
    This is sooooo good! Can't wait for more! =D=

:D Thank you! Hopefully, it will be soon!

VaderLVR
    What a well written and unique view of what "might have been!"

Thank you, very much! I really wanted him to do something very different thank being a Jedi!

I can't wait for more.
    I'll try and be quick! :D

Please put me on your PM list for updates if you have one.
    Absolutely!

ginchy
    I can imagine the Skywalker/Solo's won't be happy... he killed his entire family to make a better universe! LOL!

Yeeeah... I don't think they'll be thrilled!
    And I think he might have embellished, a little! ;)

And then the son was the savior.
    You know he is! :D

LOL, Ben's a hack!
    [face_laugh] ROFLOL! That's a good way to put it!

LOVE it! Can't wait for more!
    Thanks, ginchy!
    I hope it will be sooner rather than later!

Zara
    This is incredible my cosmic twin. You had me laughing nearly out of my chair. Ben cracked me up.

Thanks, my cosmic twin! :D I'm glad it was amusing... it was 3am when I wrote it, so I was afraid it would be only amusing because of sleep dep.! :p

SilSolo
    I demand a sequel!

I take it that means you liked it! :D
    I'm actually gonna add on to this... the idea I have works better as a short story, rather than a dualogy!

Thanks for reading, everyone! [:D]

9. JacenSolo89

JacenSolo89 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2005
    Nice addition to the challenge, mav. I like it.

As for mine, I'm not gonna start on that till I get home from school.

Hope you add more!

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    JacenSolo89- Thank you! I do plan on continuing, hopefully soon assuming DRL doesn't try and eat me again!

Thanks for reading!

11. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    [face_thinking] Hum, something about this Ben and his procrastination seem almost familuar, but I just can't quite put a finger on it. Oh wait, he sounds like me :p

I loved it Mav. It was brilliant, and a wonderful response to the challenge. But I would actually like to see more to this fic. I would love to see Luke's expression when he read the book, or at least when Ben told him.

And Flame, what a cute nickname. :D

Good job.

jacky

Edit: I guess I should have read you posts. A sequel. YAY. Please add me to the pm list. Please. :D

jacky

12. JacenSolo89

JacenSolo89 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2005

No problem. I have my fic up for the challenge now, it's called For A Better Future. Please read it, I want feedback. Thanks in advance (if you do it...you don't have to but I'd really appreciate it)

Can't wait for more of yours.

Oh, here's a link to mine. Almost forgot:

For A Better Future

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Jacky:
    Hum, something about this Ben and his procrastination seem almost familuar, but I just can't quite put a finger on it. Oh wait, he sounds like me

[face_laugh] You and me both girl, you and me both!

I loved it Mav. It was brilliant, and a wonderful response to the challenge.
    [face_blush] Thank you very much, my cosmic sister! I almost didn't get it written because of DWB and my procrastination... hence where the plot bunny came from!

But I would actually like to see more to this fic. I would love to see Luke's expression when he read the book, or at least when Ben told him.
    You will get to see that, I think! I have yet to write more, but I am going to! :D

And Flame, what a cute nickname.
    Thanks! I couldn't think of anything else to call him, and I used that as a place holder and then couldn't think of anything else!

Good job.
    Thanks!!!

Edit: I guess I should have read you posts. A sequel. YAY. Please add me to the pm list. Please.
    That's ok! I'm bad about not doing that too!
    And of course I'll add you to the PM list! :)

JacenSolo89
    I'll get to it, I promise... I'm just really behind on my fic reading right now! [face_blush]

PM List
    VaderLVR64
    Jackyyy17