main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO [SCJ] The Costuming & Props Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    since i have been talking about in the RMFF thread, i figure i could move it here.

shaper stuff
    Headdress/tentacle thing iwth more slanting forhead and missing nose. *maybe make like klingon headpiece?*

hand. needs eight fingers with little stuff at the end.

clothing:
    needs robes of shimmering white with specks of color through it. not sure but i think its a full robe.

CE Imp guard

Need full black body suit with armor. use leather for better movement

Redo helmet

glave
    point two ended sword. be awesome to get it to retract like the comic book

Imp offficer
    cna work on. just really need patterns

hat-make it

jedi
    pretty standard

Awing Pilot

working on with Varza
    Im doing the chest box
    need flight suit
    Legs straps
    leg warmers
    jumpsuit

helmet secondary cause its hard and not much out there to work off of.

2. deathlikescats

deathlikescats Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    Well I dunno about y'all but I had fun last wed. Not productive perse, but got some stuff done and some ideas put into action. Want to figure out what my budget for those outfits will be and then actually save money for it(a new experience for me, believe me).

also I had a cool idea for other things to wear as a group, not necescarily related to Star Wars. I dunno about you guys, but I'm a fan of the Final Fantasyt series, and I think it'd be cool to do a group of people for that. Just thinking out loud.

In the mean time, does anyone know when there's going to be a leather workshop/vacuforming workshop going on? Is there anything I can do to help in that? should I be bringing back my full hide of blue leather with me from SD (might have to wear it like a cape on the plane)?

RDT (aka Rachel) - yup have yer house #. sorry for not calling. Ended up in a movie... or at least at the movies.

3. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    Gonna have to cancel the costuming night for this wednesday, unless someone else wants to hold it at their place....My mom is leaving EARLY Thursday morning, and I have to take her to the airport, so we will be spending Wed. night with her, and I will be going to sleep around 9 or earlier. (Yay for EARLY flights. :p )

If anyone else wants to host this...go for it.

4. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Any other week, I would be willing to host it, but I'm leaving for Denver on Friday, and my house is a wreck...no time to clean when you're churning out togas.

We might just have to skip it this week.

5. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    I'm looking to update my existing jedi costume to look like OB1 in NH. KIda a tribute to Alec. Grey hair, beard and all. Can anyone who has skillz help?

6. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    hi ben.welcome back!
    Well, I have the patterns if you want to re-make your costume and with out growing and dyeing you your the best bet might be to go with a good wig/beard.A stock halloween that might be a good starting point,just do some trimming and a touch of latex glue.

7. deathlikescats

Nov 19, 2004
    dang. well I could host for This Wed (will be leaving town next Thurs.) but my place is not the biggest. I don't have any sewing supplies, so everyone will hae to bring their own to work on. It's up for grabs yo, if anyone still interested ^_^

8. deathlikescats

Nov 19, 2004
    OH! There's a guy out in Trinidad, that would LOVE a Master Chief costume... you know which one I'm thinking of... So, I was kinda currious what other ideas that everyone has for costumes that need vaccuforming (like Master Chief will) so that we could have a workshop on how to Vaccuform.

Not anytime soon, mind. There's C3 stuffto deal with first, but maybe after?

9. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    As for vac-forming, we'll have to hold off for awhile, at least at my place. Working-in-the-garage season's over, unless we have another 70-degree heatwave like last week, but that still only gives us a couple hours to play. Also still don't have an oven in the new house's garage. *shrug* I'd rather not do it in the kitchen, cuz plastic fumes are bad, mm'kay? :D

Everything else is fair game though.

As for leather, the way I learned was by spending a couple hours here and there watching the people at the leather shop, and from this one book they recommended. Also spent a lot of time cruising web sites with leatherworking stuff I can lend it out if anyone wants to play. Getting good just takes practice, and losing some skin to whatever you're using to cut the leather with. :D

10. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    what book did they recommend?

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    It's a dinky (however, it's anything but dinky info) 55-page book that Tandy put out, called "Leather Crafting" and it was only $10. Leatherwork isn't complicated. It's got a little project in it that uses all the basic tools, and it's ALSO got a chapter on dying and finishing leather. I got it at the leather shop off Hwy 24 in Springs. I *think* D&W might have it, too.

RUBBER mallet is GOOD. Steel hammer will bust off the chrome finish on tools, and mangle the top.

Riveting isn't covered, but that's pretty straightforward. I usually just go back to D&W on Santa Fe and ask them what kind of rivets they recommend for whatever project I'm working on.

There's probably a book on wet-forming, too, but I got all that info from the net.

Same thing with armor making -- mostly net-based. Once you know how to rivet and wet-form, you're mostly there...but I haven't attempted to actually boil my stuff in wax -- I've only used boiling water and the sink so far. It's not like I'm actually going to battle with this stuff. LOL. :D

12. deathlikescats

Nov 19, 2004
    thanks for the info Zoom. I'll keep poking around and see about grabbing that book. As for Vacuforming, it'd be a while before anything on the masterchief costume got started, but I thought I'd throw that out. Working in this weather would be weird, how it keeps fluctuating and all. Yea, plastic fumes = bad.

13. cpt

cpt Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2003
    hay all .. dont know who a\has acces to what around here.. BUT i do have acces to a full on sowing shop. my cuzins own a drapery shop with lotas of machines ect for cloth and leather... and im shure i could probbly get fabric cheep... also.. dose anyone have acces to a machine shop?

14. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    oohhh! Looky what I found.

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    What? What???

16. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    Work on the holocron continues

17. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    I finished the holocron pattern. here it is:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Imperial_Birrer/Finalholocronpattern.bmp]

18. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    I just did my first print on vellum for the holocron.The colors look good!! I was afraid they would look to thin or bleed out with light behind it,but I was wrong.

Question about wiring stuff.I was radioshack and everything I need to build the LED for the inside. The LED i want to use is about the size of a gumdrop so it should be very bright on the inside.But the guy told me I needed to solder all the wires together.do I really need to? I was hoping to get away with twisting the wires together and using electrical tape to cap them off,cuz I really dont want to invest in a solder gun and solder for 4 points.

19. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a soldiering iron, possibly some solder too, it's not too hard to do, and it make stuff really stick together. I might even have some solder fix stuff that will suck up your mess ups. Not sure about that.

If you get the stuff, I can let you use my iron. :) (with supervision tho..I don't want the house to burn down.)

20. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    so, what all would I need to buy.
    is there different kinds of solder? does it need any prep stuff? any thing to cover the solder? I have no idea on how that stuff works.

21. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    What kind of wire is it? copper? if so, you need copper solder. And look for stuff that looks like tiny woven cloth that is about 4 mm or so wide, on a spool, and it should be called something about solder remover or something. it sucks up the melted solder, and is a LIFESAVER if you screw up.

If you go to the store and tell them what you are using it for, they should be able to direct you to the right place.

(Is that how solder is spelled? it always looks wrong to me...)

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Umm...remember, if you go to the store and tell them EXACTLY what you're using, they'll look at you like you have spiders crawling out of your ears.

Just tell them you're sticking copper wire to copper wire...or whatever material you're using.

23. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    So...we're getting down to the wire. One entire month left...a bit of change as well, but I want everything done by the first of April. Tis me own personal goal, dont panic slackers. I just want to have a few weeks to breathe deep before the convention.

so...every spare minute of my time from now until April 2nd is planned, scheduled, and tight as a drum.

Will post progress regularly, as it is currently changing on a daily basis.

This is sorta exciting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.