main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO [SCJ_Cos] SCFF Official Costuming Night

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mistress, Nov 28, 2004.

1. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I think if you had come about 4 months sooner you would have had a better chance. As it is I am in Total agreement, after C3 we will pretty much be shot. Then Starfest.....I may not want to see any sowing machines, Leather, tools or any kind of working equipment for quite a while. Please don't take offense but costuming REALLY takes it out of you. I can finally say that and know what I am talking about. I wish you the best of luck, and if I can help a little let me know. Later Days...

2. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Any advice on the outfit, boots and belt would be helpful. Tomorrow I'll get a light brown Kimono top, some material for the undershirt possibly muslin (dark brown) pants-same color as the kimono but khaki material. Any advice on this and what I have left would be very helpful. Good luck with the costumes.

3. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Well, we're done with them...sorta [face_devil]

I think the C3 Birthday Bash will also be a quasi costuming night...there will be sewing, food, cake...and libation, productivity and merriment for all.

See ya there, Kittens.

4. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Whoops. Forgot to post that we aren't costuming tonight -- still getting things back in order from the week before all hell broke loose.

At least I got the new window sheers hung in the main room's windows. :D

5. DarthDallas182

DarthDallas182 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    Anyone know where to get a real authentic looking Vader costume for a 15 year old thats 5'7"? Didnt think so... i probably wouldnt be able to make one considering time and stuff.

6. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    DD...you're looking at least a couple grand for something that looks authentic. Its a tuff one. Lots of leather work...tons of time. Sith Slayer the Rmff CR made one. If you're really interested in knowing more, pm him about it. :)

7. DarthDallas182

DarthDallas182 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    Hmm id have to mow a lot of lawns for 4K...
    Whattabout faux leather? would it be any cheaper?
    Probably not a lot...

8. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Could someone PLEASE help with any finishing touches for my jedi costume. I have my belt left and does anyone know anything better than riding boots.

9. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    im of no help on the belt. but as far as foot wear goes, look into spats. all the jedi wear them in the prequels, so they would be cannon.

10. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Thanks Birr, I looked that up. I did find some east german riding boots on ebay for 14.00. They won't be wat Alec wore but it will be close enough for being this late finishing. The Robe was the hardest but its close to being actual.

11. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Whattabout faux leather

its cheaper than the real leather, but its not as durable. The stuff we have at work that is cover in faux leather looks ok for a while, but it quickly falls to crap.plus it looks faux. basicaly its cheap material wouldnt hold up and just doesnt look right.

12. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    Whattabout faux leather

its cheaper than the real leather, but its not as durable. The stuff we have at work that is cover in faux leather looks ok for a while, but it quickly falls to crap.plus it looks faux. basicaly its cheap material wouldnt hold up and just doesnt look right.

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Belts...we can help down here. Haven't had any costuming nights for a few weeks, though, but that's quite likely to change. Don't have to wait for a costume night, though -- just need to set up a time to work.

As for the 5'7" Vader...going with pleather instead of real leather would only save around $500 off that $4k. But a 5'7" Vader wouldn't look good at all. All the pieces that you can currently buy are all sized for someone 6'2" (minimum height) and above. Everything would have to be custom-made, otherwise it'd look like a bobble head. [face_plain]

14. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Okie dokie, RubberDuckTape and I have been talking about it, and we're thinking we might go ahead and have a costume night this Wednesday, June 8th, at our place. Main focus, meethinks, is to get stuff ready for the Renfest this year. w00t.

Rachel and I are working on pirates, but have yet to find material for our pirate coats. Hopefully that will change after today. I know Rachel had requested JGoC's help with making a pirate hat, and I know JKB was needing some help from JGoC with a kilt.

General rules apply -- we usually like everyone to have something to work on just so we don't have a lot of warm bodies just standing around doing nothing. Of course, if somebody is just standing around doing nothing, chances are something will be found for you to do. :D

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    My new costuming project:

[image=http://www.stoneartgallery.com/imgposts/smalloverlay.jpg]

16. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    You're wearing a Microsoft shirt -- you're already a puppet. ;)

Really though -- Yoda? Gonna do a human-sized Yoda, or a Mel Brooks/Yogurt-style Yoda??? Either way, it'd be the first. :D

17. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    ME sized Yoda! I'll either scare the poo poo outta little kids or I'll draw them all away from Vader ;)

I will not go to the Dark Side. I'm a Light Side Jedi. And if there is a stormtrooper within 100 feet then we all know where the attention usually goes. Well, I wanna be a camera hog for a while. A seven foot tall Yoda should do it ;)

No offense to Kevin or Stacy. And I'm really not jealous. I'm just bored with my old Jedi costume and wanted to do something more interesting. And challenging.

18. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    hmm. that should be interesting

19. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Okies. We've got our material. Can actually start cutting tonight. w00t.

Acs...We DID find a decent heavyweight plaid material at Anderson Carpets that I think would work OK for a kilt. Not sure if you're going all-out and actually finding the correct pattern for your family/region (I forget how the plaid patterns worked), though. If you were, it'd probably take a couple of months for the pattern to come in, and you might have to import it. :eek:

20. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    so far we have yet to even find a tartan for my family. so its not a big worry.

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Have you checked at the Renfest? There's a place on the net that has weird stuff like that, too, but I forget what the site was. I actually managed to find a family crest for both mine and Rachel's families a few years ago, as well as where our names originated from. I'll have to look for it later.

22. Kaety

Kaety Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    So are you going to be pirate captians or ships mates?

23. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    i need to check there for that.

24. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    I believe we are going as captains...much fancier and more fun. :p

We do need some crew tho...

And I need a name for my ship....

o_O

25. Jedi_Knight_Birr