main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO [SCJ_Trip] Do we really want to go to WolfCreek?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mistress, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    At the meeting, RDT mentioned some super cool cabins up there and the idea of making a February snow-boarding trip.

Is anyone else interested in this?

RDT, did you want to do some digging and get some pricing for us?

Just want to know if theres more interest than myself, RDT and Zoom.

2. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    jumps up and down waving arms!!!!!

OOOHHH ME!!!ME!! ME!! ME!! I want to go!!

do they offer lessons?

3. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Most places do...I'd be surprised if they didnt.

We would definitely have to get rooms/cabins. On a good day its like a four hour drive from P-town...and winter brings not good days to WolfCreekPass.

Maybe a large suv rental would also be in order. I'll drive. [face_plain]

you lowlanders scare me in snow.

4. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    Yeah. wolfcreek can be scary. i went over it on a sunday day at the end of march and it was still scary.

Im gonna look into rentals and lesson costs.

5. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    kewl...make lots and lots of purty links for us, will ya?

I keep hearing that powder is the best for learning to board...its not as unyielding and bruise inflicting as ice.

WC has the best powder...hence the decision to go there was born.

6. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
  7. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    we will most definitely want to rent equipment here...its always more expensive there.

I know of at least three people who want a lesson...the more we have the cheaper it gets.

8. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Renting's pretty standard at most places you go.

The last time I rented, it was $15 for the board, and $10 for the boots. Not sure if that's changed or not.

9. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    I will make some calls later today.

10. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I might actually just buy equipment...this is something I've always wanted to learn how to do, and I think the expense is warranted...everyone keeps telling me that once I start I'll be totally hooked.

11. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I know I WANT to go, but no promises as I am currently trying to find another job to help with C3 expenses. I will throw this up to the crew and see what they think. Later Days...

12. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Something useful -- the snow report.

http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient/srlist.php?state=CO&command=statecond&satype=NA_Alpine

As of today, Wolf Creek 5 inches of new snow, and it's got a 56-67 inch base -- about 20-30 inches more than most places. Near the end of the season, they'll have around 150, and it'll all be powder. :D :D :D

M...as for buying a board, I'd hold off til you have a chance to try a couple out. Smaller boards are more maneuverable, faster, but don't float as well...bigger boards are harder to turn, slower, but float nicely. Wood is more forgiving life a Nerf bat, and carbon fiber is like riding a ninja sword. [face_devil] I started out on wood, but gave it to Rachel's cousin after I picked up a couple carbon fiber ones. You can try one and see if you like it. Might be a bit on the big side, though.

13. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    -k-...I will wait on the board...but I do really want my own boots...rented shoes scare me.

14. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I know you've been on, RDT!!! This was your idea. :p

15. Dark_Side_Otaku

Dark_Side_Otaku Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2004
    Not much of a skier, yeah. If they have a lodge with a decent arcade, I'm game!

16. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    M...eBay's probably the best place to find a good starter board. Search for "150 snowboard" -- I think a 150cm might be a good size for you, and as a learning board, a wooden one will probably be best. You can usually get a slightly used one (sometimes even brand new) for about $100, and unless you're jumping off cliffs and riding double black diamonds, it'll last you a few seasons. We can repair any scratches and gouges on the bottom. When you're just starting, brand won't matter much -- the little tweaks and extra technologies in the more expensive boards aren't as noticeable when you're still learning how to stand up. :)

17. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    -k-..thanks Zoom! :D

18. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    ahhh yes. the bane of standing. I have had more respect for the little green army men after i went snowboarding.

19. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    sorry, the intense pain of My FACE has made me not interested in anything for a while.

I'll be on again soon and do something or something with the something and then there was something else.

Time for more painkillers, please.

20. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    just take care of yourself.

21. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    :( poor thing.

I was thinking we could start looking at dates/reservations sometime in January...with the holiday and all the upcoming December business, I'm really strapped for cash.

Who would be interested in making a weekend of it and getting a cabin?

Chico mentioned it at the SCJ meeting on Thursday, and from what I gathered they might make a day trip out of it...I'm too old for that, I'd probably want to stay overnight. There are skier/boarder cabins with bunks...if a bunch of us pitched in, it might not be too bad.

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I'd be up for the whole weekend thing. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive, and yes...going there in the morning, boarding, and then driving back immediately after hurts. Badly. LOL.

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    And may I make a suggestion?

ANY CLOTHES YOU BRING, MAKE SURE THEY'RE WATERPROOF.

Until you really learn how to ride, you'll spend most of the time either face down, or on your back in the snow. It only takes 1 good fall to get SOAKED if your clothes aren't waterproof. At the bare minimum, you want your gloves and pants to be waterproof, since your arse will take most of the punishment, and you'll be clawing around to stand back up. :D eBay and Overstock.com usually have cheaply priced, equipment. Fogdog.com is good too, but they're more expensive, but they've also got more name brand stuff if yer into that sort of thing.

24. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Options for pants and gloves:

http://www.sidewayspeople.com

http://www.overstock.com

And the NEXT Skateboard shop downtown on the corner of Main and 7th is really good, too. The guys down there are pretty friendly and helpful.

And the ghetto method, since nobody's really quite sure they want to stick with it and devote a portion of their life to it every winter...a couple cans of waterproofing spray and an oversized (so they don't rip open after your 30th fall) pair of old pants works, too.

25. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    There is one great after affect of all that snow... You too could look like this when you're done for the day:

[image=http://www.rmff.net/books/XmasMac.JPG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.