main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scores that take you completely by surprise. . .

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Ever pick up a score, not expecting much of it -- and find yourself absolutely blown away?

I do.

Most recently, I decided, since I respect the absolutely superb job they've done for Marco Polo (now Naxos) re-recording great classic film scores (Steiner's King Kong and Adventures of Mark Twain; Korngold's Robin Hood; etc), I decided to pick up some of the work conducted by William Stromberg. And HOLY CRAP but Trinity and Beyond sounds like Basil Poledouris at his best. Intense, energetic, savage, with choirs and whatnot -- wow! For an IMAX film, too, which usually have pretty unmemorable scores. . .

Highly recommended!

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Edward Scissorhands. Never saw this movie before tonight, and the score took me quite pleasantly by suprise. :)

3. TrumpetGirl0590

TrumpetGirl0590 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2004
    Can't think of any specifics, but I love that... You sit down to watch a movie, and BOOM, big, beautiful brass lines, or something that really catches your attention...

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Boba, man, Edward Scissorhands has an amazing score! I'm glad you got to hear it, because it's really good.

You know, actually I really liked the score of The Aviator, and I wasn't expecting much of that.

As far as scores that have just unexpectedly blown me away, though.... well, one of my favourite scores is for The Usual Suspects, which I went into knowing pretty much nothing about the film the first time. I certainly didn't expect it to have such a great, unique score, though. Brilliant movie overall, as well.

The score for PotC is also very good. I *hoped* this movie would be good because I'm a big fan of the ride (probably have ridden it around 25 times). I never dreamed it would be as good as it is, though.The score is one of the best things about it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. HenrikSolberg

HenrikSolberg Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    The music for the Jackal actually surprised me a lot! I don't think it's one of the best ever, but a good one that surprised me! Haven't heard it for a long time now though!

6. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    The Phantom of the Opera has some great score that took me by surprise the first time I heard it. The very loud, booming notes of the Overture just really brought me into the story of the Phantom. And how Christine's voice just gets higher and higher at the end of the title song left me aghast. All that and more makes Phantom a great score that just totally took me by surprise.

7. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Superman just did. I knew that it was Williams, and I knew that the main title(which I had heard before) was good, but I didn't know the rest of it was so fantastic! 'Leaving Home' and 'The Flying Sequence' are much better than the main theme(IMO), wow!

Whatever Margot Kidder is doing in 'Can You Read My Mind', I don't want to know, and I'm afraid to ask, that isn't in the movie, is it?

ttbk

8. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Danny Elfman- a great composer. The Sleepy Hollow score is also really good, if you like his style. If he is doing the music for Willy Wonka, I'm sure it will be equally impressive. "Most impressive..."

9. SkafeeXAddict

SkafeeXAddict Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    One movie that had a score that, while it didn't "blow me away," I was pleasently suprised to find a nice soundtrack to was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I personally enjoyed as much as I did with Pirates.

Another that I very much enjoy are the Medal of Honor Soundtracks. I would never expect an original score for a video game to be so good. Medal of Honor: Frontline has my favorite score out of the MOH games, but Allied Assualt's theme is good too.

10. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    I'm a big Hans Zimmer fan, but when I went to see Mission Impossible 2 for the first time I was thouroughly unimpressed with his music for the first half of the film.

Then the scene where Nyah (Thandie Newton) injects herself with the virus and the music changes from this little girlie theme to this big booming action score using the same girlie theme I was totally taken by surprise and fell in love with the score from that point on. I still listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis.

11. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Beyond Rangoon was a complete 180 from Zimmer's usual sound, and it took me by surprise.

And like that...he's gone.

12. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I really loved Hans Zimmer's score for Terence Malik's version of "The Thin Red Line". I thought that apart from the cinematography by John Toll, this was certainly the most impressive aspect of the film. You could say that I was a little amazed at how much I liked it. I really had no idea.

13. Darth_Fargo

Darth_Fargo Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2004
    There are threethat come to mind:

Heat by Elliot Goldenthal and Pirates of the Carribean

Also, Henry V - Patrick Doyle. All highly recommended.

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    John Barry, Dances With Wolves was excellent. I had no expectations going in when I watched it today. Of course, I am fond of a lot of his Bond work.

15. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    The most surprising score for me has been John Williams' Home Alone. You wouldn't expect a score for a juvenile slapstick movie to touch you deeply, but I never fail to cry when I listen to "Star of Bethlehem" around Christmastime. Quite possibly JW's most underrated work.

16. Alhon

Alhon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2005
    You may not have herad of this, but the movie "Luther" has some beautiful choral lines.

17. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Other than Star Wars I would have to say the score to Pirates of the Carribean. Truly a great soundtrack and I'm able to capture each scene run through my mind as I hear the songs to it.

18. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    The Rock. Even though I plan on remaking the entire film when I'm older, I won't change the amazing soundtrack one bit.

But what actaully surprised me was Starship Troopers. Sorryass movie, then out of nowhere an awesome score, introduced during the drop onto the bug planet.

19. Spirit-of-Kenobi

Spirit-of-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    For me it would have to be Breakfast at Tiffany's. I had never seen the movie in it's entirity, but of course was familiar with "Moon River". I was hesitant to buy it, but found it for a cheap price. What a pleasant score this turned out to be. Great jazzy stuff from Mancini and well worth a listen.

As far as a score I was impressed with in a movie that I hadn't expected, I would have to go with The Beach. The Swim to the Island is fantastic and I was lucky enough to find a used copy on Amazon's Market Place for $15. Before I ordered it last night, the cheapest I could find was around $30. Can't wait to get it!

20. Vosk

Vosk Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2005
    Beside Star Wars...

Starship Troopers (Full score of course)
    The Matrix Trilogy Music
    Air Force One Jerry Goldsmith and Joel McNeely (yes I love it)
    Some of the Star Trek scores...well at least the ones Goldsmith wrote.
    The Mummy Goldsmith

I think that's about it.

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    One that recently took me by surprise, and I'll keep pushing it until someone else checks it out, is Steve Jablonsky's Steamboy. Imagine if Michael Kamen and early, fun James Horner (Land Before Time and Rocketeer era) had collaborated on an epic anime with some gorgeous themes and lots of great action set pieces. Fantastically fun score. Definitely give it a listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.