main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scotland Question's

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Jedi_Xen, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Im working on a futuristic timeline as how the world will look in the year 2008, and I want to have Scotland as an independent country. Now of course I plan on having Scotland as a member of both the EU and NATO, with a sizable Defense Force, and the Euro as its currency. Where I am held up is what Scotland would be, would Scotland be a Republic or a Kingdom? If it is a Kingdom who would be its monarch? What are the odds of Scotland leaving the UK to become independent?

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

2. AngelaJade

AngelaJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2003
    I could see Scotland being an independent country at some point in the future (doubt it would happen by 2008, tho') and I imagine it would be a Republic rather than a Kingdom. Don't know that we'd have a particularly large Defense Force, tho' - we've a fairly small population!!

Good luck with your writing! :)

3. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    We should be a republic.

When independence finally does come around (which I sincerely think it will), we should start again politically.

Jeezo! This could be like and alternate SW universe isn't it?

Seedy politician's a la cloak and dagger conspiring to make Scotland independent while futhering their own ambitions!

*ahem*

Anyhoo!

I think we would be a republic.

4. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    If you're intrigued by a futuristic independent Scottish nation, check out my film "Sons of Scotland" watch for updates soon. Sorry, it was just the perfect opportunity for a shameless plug, but Xen, you might like it.

5. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Do you have a weblink to it? I think I will make Scotland a Republic, I looked for a suitable Monarch and came up short. Theres a guy who claims to be the multi-great grandson of the Bonnie Prince but has no concrete evidence to back up those claims, then there was something about the Duke of Bavaria being the heir to just about everythrone in Europe including Scotlands, France's among others. I even considered having Prince Andrew crowned King of Scotland, but Im not sure how well that will go over in Scotland, so I just said screw it, Ill make it a Republic.

6. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    It's not done yet, we start filming in a week hopefully. However, for more info just click on the link on my sig. If you'd like, I'd be happy to show you some of the script.

7. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Seedy politician's a la cloak and dagger conspiring to make Scotland independent while futhering their own ambitions!

You should catch up on your Scottish history then. Already happened :p

You know, I think that Scotland could become and work as an independent State again, but from what I understand is that there are such cultural differences across the country that it would be near impossible for the people to work together enough without giving a lot of that up, and to me that would be a travesty. Scotland has such an interesting and varied culture, but not unlike any other Nation. The difference is that it isn't it's own Nation. Most went from being it's own sovereign Nation to having the varied culture, but Scotland has always been this varied even when it was it's own Nation.

And yeah, I really really doubt it would happen in 2008 either ;)

8. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    nae kings for us....

apart from its dominant 'single issue', scotland's independence movement is actually quite a divided church, so there is continuing debate over what political model an independent Scotland would adopt.

however, it is safe to say that no bavarians waving birth certificates, or second-tier windsors, would be given the keys to the castle.

sean connery might have had a chance, but the whole tax exile / wife beater thing will probably count against him. :D

9. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    *chuckles*
    You sure about that, Gordy. I don't think that was ever an issue for any monarchs...anywhere.

Yeah no monarchs for Scotland. *turns on Scottish History mode* Ya see, cause James VI of Scotland, Scotland's last king, inherited the thrown of England after Elizabeth I died, leaving no biological heirs. After all that the line of bavarians etc Gordy was mentioning came in down the line. Pretty much, what England has is what's left.

*looks around before telling her joke*
    You know why the sun never sets on the British Empire?

Because not even god trusts the English.

*ducks from the pummeling of rotten produce*

Edit: and btw, I am part British so I have no room to talk ;)

10. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    taking the piss out of the English will not get you pummelled on this board, hen....

promoted, perhaps, but pummelled, no...

how's the studies going?

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    rofl yeah I thought so.

Studies are going fine, though I really need to buckle down and get to work on some projects. End of the semester is looming. Although I've got an appointment in 2 weeks with someone at the school who might be able to help me get over there for studies for a semester. Might do it when I'm working on my thesis.

And how are you, love?

12. Stoney-Wan-Kenobi

Stoney-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2002
    Sorry to interrupt DD and Shara... ;)

Paul Johnson's books 'Body Politic' (and the others whose titles now elude me ('elude' - great word! must use it more often...)) are set in a futuristic independent Scotland. He had a violent uprising against the British King (Charles or William? I dunno...), and eventually Scotland became a republic. Well, the whole of Europe went a bit mental really, but the Scots decided to set up a parliament following the writings of Plato. It's a while since I read Body Politic, so I can't remember it all, but it might be worth a read for ideas.

I doubt if Scotland would go for its own monarch - personally, I don't think many Scots like the monarchy that much...

13. AngelaJade

AngelaJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2003

BWAHAHAHA!!

*snerk*

And I'm married to an Englishman. :) It's a bundle o' fun in this house when Scotland plays England at footie, etc. :p

Ewan McGregor for royalty!!!! (Well, anyone but bloody Sean Connery...)

14. wyld_knight

wyld_knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    The ultimate question: The difference between a scottishman and an englishman?

An englishman would sing 'Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!'

And a scottishman would sing 'Hey! McCleod! Get off of my ewe!'

*stands on the stage in silence, watches people at the back of the room leaving*

Meh...

Well, on the 'other' question, I don't see Scotland becoming independant in my lifetime (and I've hopefully got another 50-60 years to go)...

But the story sounds interesting. You should join Nationstates.com with all that criteria then watch how such a country would evolve...

15. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001

Mwahahahahaha!!!!!

16. minervawhitesun

minervawhitesun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2003
    (Dammit! I know I should regret this ...) o.K here´s my opinion

Yes , I ´m fully understand your aspirations :) and I do not condenm you to dream about it , but if you expect that London give up easily from Scotland you are naive and gullible , because the only thing you should get is a sui generis autonomy and Parliament ( who legislated some issues but not all the important issues ) and that´s the end of it . The hard true is in all periods of history England never give up the lands by pacific means . If you want your independence prepare to fight back and play the game... in dirty ways . Of course you´ll have to bring the international simpathies for your cause . Are you prepared for that ?

P.s : I think Scotland is better suited with a republic

17. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    //points at sign on wall

Look !

"Do NOT use BIG WORDS in posts - you will only confuse the locals"

'sui generis' indeed
    what about anti-disestablishmentarianism then?

18. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ok I had some bratty kids at the museum asking me what anti-disestablishmentarianism means yesterday. I can't even pronounce that friggin word! What is it with this word.

Welcome back, love. Glad to see you up and about. ;)

Btw, I just picked up a new book by Neal Ascherson called Stone Voices and it covers a lot of the 1960's-2000 political and social struggles in Scotland, leading up to the establishment of Parliament. Very good book, just what I was needing. If Jedi_Xen is even still reading this thread, I highly suggest picking it up.

19. Luck

Luck Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2003
    I don't want to be ignoramus but i don't understend. Are you saing that Scotland isn't independent Country? So how is your status? Are you like a Tybet?

20. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    We've too much oil and strategic nuclear bases (dumping grounds) to ever be free under the NATO umbrella, or even the leaky England umbrella,backed up as it is by dodgy Arsenal defenders and bamboozled referees.
    Hopefully, and it's a BIG hope, a future Scotland will be republican and egalitarian, (depending on evolution) and inclusive which should exclude all the defenders of Dungavel prison camp.)

21. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    Someone messed up the punchline for that joke by the way.

Its. Why does the sun never set on the British Empire?

Because God doesn`t trust the English in the dark.

22. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah well I never said I was good with punchlines and jokes...and besides you're just now noticing that?!

23. mackpol

mackpol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 30, 2002
    We got the jist !! that's what counts.

Scotland independant. that's been my dream for a while now. If it could happen in my life time even better. But unfortunatly I doubt it. London wont let us go that easy. All that own parliament stuff was Blair trying to get votes and I don't really see that Scotland got much more than it had already except that it became common knowledge. (Somebody might be able to correct me on that point). How is the parlaiment doin' these days by the way, I'm very out of touch.

Definately Republic. We got the power pinched out from under us once already with royalty. And the suposed heir to the Bonnie Prince, well let's just not appraoch that subject. (suffice to say apparently he's a bit of a ponce, knightin' and marryin' folks in his tartan troosers)

Some say that the Scot's are brain washed against the English from school age, mabye, mabye not, there are arguments for and against this theory.

I had a very pro Scottish History teacher which I didn't realise immediatly, also my primary seven teacher made it very clear what would happen in a nuclear attack on Britain and why. Since, I have tried to do my own research and make my own opinions which, I have to admit haven't gone very far towards changing my feelings (looking around and hoping that no-one takes this personally no nastiness intended) on the English occupation of Scotland. And the differences between Scottish and English cultures being what they are it seems only natural that they be two seperate countries.

Mabye Scotland should just consider itself British and stop complaining but honestly, could you do it?

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well look, I'll give you a less subjective point of view: I'm American and I think Scotland should be an independent nation. I could see it happening realistically, too. I was looking up some stuff and saw that Scotland had their own 2001 census apart from the rest of the UK. I didn't know they did, so that made me happy. I don't know, it just seems stupid for England to rule over Scotland because they are different cultures and it's not as though Scotland wouldn't be better off on its own :p It would be like if the US decided to take over Canada, except Scotland's much better than Canada ;)

Of course, mind you, I'm still Scottish-American, so there might be a bias... but still, not as much as a native Scot. Er, well, just my two cents. ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. Juntyphuk

Juntyphuk Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2004
    The joke actually goes....

Why doesn't the Sun ever set on the British Empire? Because the Good Lord wouldn't trust the British in the dark.

There's no mention of the English, Welsh or Scots for that matter. Furthermore, you may be interested to know that much of the old Empire was colonised by Scots, places like Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand have very prominent Scottish heritage, contrary to popular myth that these places have predominantly Irish lineage.

I don't see how Scotland could afford to become a Nation State on her own, North Sea oil is running out, and unfortunately, she lacks the population to derive a good economic position. Like Wales, she currently enjoys huge revenues from tax collected in England, so I wouldn't be so quick to complain. As Burns once said.... ' Scottish souls are bought and sold with English gold...'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.