main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by whateveritis12, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    First, raise your hand if you're going to see it tomorrow.

Second does anyone know where that animated short is playing? I've seen a couple of commercials for it, but all they've mentioned is that they're playing it and not where.

2. Darth_Kathy_Weezly

Darth_Kathy_Weezly Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    If i didn't live in the wrong country, i would def see it ASAP.

I think the animated short is online at Adult Swim. ;)

3. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    Went and saw it today, and I think the best way to describe it is a comic book using live action. It's very faithful to the source material and pays reverence to it to the point that they followed the storyline pretty closely with the only additions being inconsequential and the subtractions due to time constraints only being plot lines that were used as filler (like secondary character plot lines). The music is spectacular with Beck doing the songs for Sex Bo-bomb.

Really this movie is probably in the top 5 movies ever based on a comic/graphic novel/manga ever. It's kinda random, but that's just one of the fundamental truths about the Scott Pilgrim story.

I was kind of sad to see that there were only like 5 other people in the theater with me (a 4:45 showing) when this movie is probably the best movie starting this weekend.

4. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I just went and saw this movie, I haven't read the comics (But I intend to go and find them) and I thought it truly was an Epic of Epic Epicness!

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Saw it yesterday, and I really liked it. Story was a bit weak and didn't quite make sense in places, but I really enjoyed the video-game style of everything. It was definitely worth seeing.

6. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    I think this movie is one of those that kind of expects you to at least have a base knowledge of the material because it's so reliant on the source. And really there isn't much of a plot to speak of, it's just about a guy finding out just how much baggage his new girlfriend has, and dealing with his own past relationships. If I'd have to guess what this movies message is it would be acknowledge your past relationships but don't let them rule your future.

7. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    Sorry for the double post, but the edit button disappeared.....

Alright it's disappointing to hear that this movie didn't make more opening night and people are already calling it a bust, but here's my theory on it. People are interested in seeing the movie, but weren't interested enough to see it no matter what. They saw all the hype, thought it was a good movie, but they'd been burned before so they think they'll see it when it's made available to view in home. Now since if you don't have internet access you're pretty much a loser, they'll see that it is a good movie and not just hyped as such and it'll make it more popular.

That's my theory and I'm sticking too it.

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It still has time to rebound; this weekend will really determine its future at the box office.

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I want to see this, and I probably will. But honestly, it doesn't really look like this movie has a lot to offer the masses. It really is catering to a special sort of crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if this has a relatively short run in the theaters and eventually turns into a cult classic.

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, it could easily do that. Given the fact that there are so many "video game geek" moments in it, it definitely caters to those who like nostalgic gaming and other related topics.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I had no idea what this movie was until I saw this thread, then looked it up. It looks...

Incrediblly, unbelievablly stupid!
    Ben Stiller/Adam Sandler Stupid!
    Scientology stupid!
    Jim Jones Kool-aid stupid!

But maybe I'm wrong and the actual movie is good. I just know that having seen the trailer there is no way in the nine hells I would voluntarily part with actual money to watch it. Maybe Netflix if I'm really bored... But only as an instant download.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Koohii, in all honesty you're probably too old for it. If you didn't grow up in the 80s playing NES and reading comics then it's not a movie for you.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I did grow up in the 80s, but we were still playing Atari 2600 and Colleco-vision.

14. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    My greatest piece of advice on if you want to see this movie is go to your local library and check out volume 1 of graphic novel. If it catches your interest, go ahead and see the movie. I saw it again today and it didn't change my opinion of it at all.

I'll stand by what I said earlier that it was the best movie that opened this weekend, and it's disappointing that it's not doing better in the box office.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Saw it. Loved it!

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it does- I was fully able to enjoy the movie, not having read any of the graphic novels. I was merely won over by the amazing trailers.

Anyways, finally caught it last night (I'm still annoyed I couldn't catch it opening weekend since I was at C5 in Florida. Both Scott Pilgrim and The Expendables were the two movies I was looking forward to the most this summer, and they both open the same weekend I happen to be away? Dah!).

It didn't quite meet my, admittedly high, expectations from the awesome trailers (that Prodigy song has been stuck in my head for months thanks to watching that trailer so many times!), but it came close and was still a very cool little film that keeps you grinning from beginning to end. It's a very fun take on the obstacles in a relationship, through the video game metaphors/combat.

It doesn't quite kick as much ass as Kick-Ass did, so I don't think everyone will be walking out of the theater, won-over and in love with the film like they did with Kick-Ass, but I don't think many will walk out not having enjoyed their time. It's still one of the better movies this year.

And any movie that starts using music and sound effects from A Link to the Past within it's first minute is automatically awesome by default :D.

Plus, it has Captain America, Superman and The Punisher in it. :cool:

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    My wife and I saw it last night. We loved it. From beginning to end. And she was skeptical, thought the trailers looked dumb.

Our favorite part, being vegans, was with Routh and his vegan psycho-kinetic powers and the Vegan Police. I now want a Vegan Police t-shirt! That stuff was extra hilarious for us.

Also, the wire-fu/VFX combination was more exciting, better combined, and just plain better than The Last Airbender... which should have been the most thrilling kung fu special effects extravaganza of the year. It was not. Scott Pilgrim was, and on a cheaper budget.

We were also probably amongst the oldest people in the theater, and I could tell and enclave of teenagers had read the graphic novel by the way they sort of anticipated big laughs.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Vegan Police high-five between Thomas Jane and the hispanic bad guy from Crank 2 had me cracking up. [face_laugh]

I think that whole fight was probably my favorite- had the most variety, between the brawl and the Bass Fight, and the most humor; though the demonic Bollywood backup dancers for Evil Ex #1 were hypnotizingly awesome.

Culkin also really stood out in this film- his dry gossip-prone nature was hilarious.

The small touches also really sell some scenes- like the line the Guy Who Knows Everybody has during the first life of the final battle- "...and that's why the first album wasn't as good as their first album."

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Saw the movie and loved it...but why did it cost $85-90 million to make it? I just don't see it.

20. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    One thing that surprised me (don't really keep up with movie related news) is that Edgar Wright was the director. Got home from watching it opening night and was like no way. Wrights probably one of the most consistently funny directors around. I've seen 3 of his movies (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and this movie) and all three of them are hilarious and still have me cracking up even after repeated viewings (in the case of the first two).

One thing that surprises me is how well Wright casts in his movies. Don't think he's miscasted any role yet. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were spot on, and everyone did great in their roles. But really there wasn't a bad showing at all anywhere in this movie, and everyone seemed to have their characters down really good.

Probably the best actors in the movie were Culkin and surprisingly Evans as the second evil ex. He played acting like an 80s action hero perfect. Really the only way you'd hate a performance in this film is because of personal preference.

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    If this movie is as good as you guys have been saying, then whoever put together the promo trailers needs to be gutted with a pair of salad tongs.
    The trailer looks incrediblly stupid.
    And other people have told me that the movie is way better than the trailers make it look.

Compare that with the fact that Shaun of the Dead looked funny from the trailers...

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm somewhat the opposite- I loved the trailers (probably among my favorite trailers, just love the kinetic fun set to that Prodigy song, it just works so well, like the fighting is a dance) and felt the movie didn't live up to them, even if I liked the film regardless.

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Guy Who Knows Everything also went meta when he says, in the replay of the final scene, "The graphic novel is so much better than the movie." Haha.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    ...and the movie was even funnier! So far Edgar Wright hasn't steered me wrong.

And Quest I have to agree that the song "Invaders Must Die" really helps sell this movie. I've been listening to it an admittedly unhealthy amount the last few weeks. :p

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hehe, yeah- the whole hit-bad-guy-he-goes-pop bam! bam! bam! visual works so well with the music, that I just need to add my own bams in while hearing the song (dunt-dunt duh-dunna dunna dunt dunt dunt; dunt-dunt duh-dunna dunna bam! bam! bam! ;)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.