main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Scottish Independence Referendum Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Apr 21, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And it's done.

I wasn't arguing against your opinion, really.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And it's official!

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    So it's a solid NO.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Who's ender going to explode at now?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Technically not. Somebody better versed on UK law was telling me how the official announcer guy in Edinburgh could technically lie and say that YES won, and that would briefly be legally binding or something because of some technicalities blah blah blah blah.

But yeah aside from crazyworld it is statistically -- but not "officially" -- done.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry Maik. Your arguments were never compelling though.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, was it was done by electorate, not overall (ie. "Popular") vote? Ifso, wtf?

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You, Juliet, Tunick... the usuals.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, it was definitely popular -- it was just that the results from Fife put no over the statistical 50% vote of the Scottish electorate.

Each council zone or whatever they're called counts its own votes, but the popular total is what mattered.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I was scared about this.

Don't know what it says about me that I felt more comfortable getting my updates from this thread, than anywhere official.

soitscometothis likes this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

what thread have you been posting in? surely not the one where ive been consistently predicting a "no" result

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks Jay.

Also, sorry Proclaimers.

:p

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Also, sorry Franz Ferdinand.

Wait, I thought he got shot.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oddly enough, "Take Me Out" came up on shuffle on my iPod on the way home from work. Signs!!

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Sure but you were pro-Independence no?

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, this is certainly deflating news; at least Glasgow had a majority 'yes' vote. :p

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think you should know by now that we don't get to choose what side we're on in a thread where Ender is involved.

SithLordDarthRichie and jp-30 like this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Why exactly is it deflating, Tunes? Because Scots had he good sense not to follow the leading party of the day over a potential cliff? They didn't allow an emotional nationalist movement to permanently alter the lives of everyone in their nation?

I don't see what Yes supporters have to be all that depressed about. Obviously losing is never fun, but if Scotland doesn't get the increased powers they are looking for and things are genuinely that bad for them, they can try again later. It's losing the battle but not the war. If the SNP really has Scotland's best interest at heart, they won't wait for another independence vote. They'll use this leverage to get more powers now. And if they don't, they're bastards who are hoping to see Scotland flounder in the UK for the sake of setting up a try for independence again.

The bottom line is: you can vote no and decide to vote yes later, but the reverse is not true. Scotland can only vote yes once, and to do so with the insanely under-prepared SNP leadership of today at the helm would have been madness.

Sith-I-5 and Darth Tunes like this.
  19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

"Fear tactics" as opposed to outright lying about the likely economic consequences akin to US Republicans describing consensus in the scientific community on Global Warming?

Good to see it will likely be a significant margin, so that the independence movement should fizzle fairly quickly.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, the fear tactic of "um guys, if these people don't even really know what they are going to do for currency, do they really seem like the people we should trust to establish an entirely new country...?" What an unreasonable and fear-mongering question! How dare you Better Together. How dare you.

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    solojones You make a great point about how there can be another vote of this nature in the future, about the leverage Scotland can now possibly have... it's deflating in that for me, the fallout from it would have been greatly intriguing to follow -more so in some respects than what'll happen now- , and the very idea of independence from the U.K. for 'em is one I'm inherently in favor of.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Darth Tunes likes this.
  23. Tevase2

Tevase2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    Muhahahahaha Scotland votes no. The highlands got more no votes than yes votes. I won a a bet running at school. Only one who predicted a no vote. My Scottish side has no failed me.

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Did it all come down to Florida?

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    What rules did they use for hanging chads?