main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Scottish Independence Referendum Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well to be very pernickety it, the Empire is normally thought to have officially ended in 1997 with the handing back of Hong Kong to the PRC. Anyway, Scotland is different. It was never just another colonial territory, it's part of Britain itself.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Indeed. Infact Scotland was a key and integral partner in forging the Empire.

Scotland wasn't just part of the Empire - It WAS the Empire (along with the rest of Great Britain)

At least the British Empire (unlike many) ended relatively peacefully and bloodlessly and through the Commonwealth the nations that were part of the Empire remain good friends and strong partners.

As far as the wider point about what has happened during her long reign, what I would say though is that HMQ has had the misfortune to have her reign blighted by some terrible (and I mean truly TERRIBLE) governments and politicians - The low point being the appalling 1970's of course.

3. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Well I'm afraid I don't remember a time before Blair but I have heard a lot about how awful the 70s were so I'll definitely take your word for it. A lot has been said about how Scots don't like the Coalition Government but I really think they need to look beyond that. Governments come and go but leaving the Union is permanent. And I must say, I wouldn't bet all my chips on Salmond. What has he got to offer Scots other than a few years of oil revenues? Oil is going to run out sooner rather than later!

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Who says leaving the Union has to be permanent?

Wasn't permanent when our southern states left. They came back four years later.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Brown people taking over yo

6. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    The American Civil War you mean? Well you fought to bring them back into the fold!

You're right that Scotland could theoretically rejoin but I think that would be an incredibly unlikely event for two reasons. Firstly, it would be incredibly humiliating and Scotland is a proud country. Secondly, the rest of the UK would have to be consulted an there's no guarantee that we'd all vote yes to that.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd love to see a Scottish breakaway just for all the chaos & consternation that it would 'cause.

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Provided they do not go about it the way Quebec separatists did/do, I can't think of a reason why Scotland should be prevented from leaving. I mean, assuming of course they're not going around threatening to kick every non-Scot out...which is what the Quebecois did.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Well happily for all concerned Scotland isn't going to be prevented from leaving. They are currently having an extended debate and then the view of the people within Scotland will decide whether they go or stay.

I'm hopeful their decision will be to stay within the Union, as I think we'll all be stronger together, but it will be entirely Scotland's choice.

Lord Chazza likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Gives me an excuse for this Critic reference:

[​IMG].

"Viva Jay Sherman, Viva Quebec!"

Ramza

:p

Ramza and Penguinator like this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Could a UK split lead to a stronger and more unified European Union, though?

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Churlish jealousy again!

****ing Americans... He doesn't mean the bloody EU, he means the Union aka Great Britain! Ever wondered why the flag is called the Union flag (or Union Jack, erroneously)?

Yeah, but I mean, the whole arrangement's not something any sensible person would aspire to. I mean. Come on.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Don't know, to be honest.

There are other countries like Spain that have their own internal separatist movements, so I imagine a few countries will be watching this result closely.

It's not clear when/how an independent Scotland would be included in the EU, but the new President Mr Juncker has made it clear it probably won't be any time soon.

Uncertainty over Scotland's EU status has been quite a big part of the Better Together campaign I think.

Ghost likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I know what union he meant... I'm the one who brought up the EU. It seems to me that if the UK divided, both parts would want stronger relations with the EU.

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    All I'm saying is that it is possible. I didn't say that it was good.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But the UK isn't dividing; Scotland is proposing independence. Wales and Northern Ireland remain?

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    But Ender, if Scotland leaves the Union, the backbone of the Labour Party's presence in parliament would be broken. Wouldn't that make you happy?

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Whilst it's true that a one eyed git did come from bonnie Scotland to be gifted the Prime Ministership, I'm not sure it's reason enough to throw a good working arrangement away.

Also, I believe Anthony Charles Lytton Blair attended the prestigious Fettes College in Edinburgh (lol, "Edinberg"), an opportunity that under this new arrangement might be more difficult.

I do love Mr Blair.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The Independent have a "Poll Of Polls" article where they claim NO will win by 57% to 43% for Yes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ccording-to-latest-poll-of-polls-9641193.html

They have put together all the polls over the last month and excluded "don't knows".

Looks encouraging for Better Together.

In other news Alex Slamond has rejected the chance to have have two debates with Alistair Darling on the BBC;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ts-two-BBC-debates-with-Alistair-Darling.html

The STV debate will still go ahead on Tuesday as planned, but that may be it as far as a Scottish debate goes.

It's very strange and unlike Mr Salmond to be so reluctant to appear on the TV.Usually you can't keep him away from television studios... ;)

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry, there was a boast of someone else having "heebie jeebies"?

Lord Chazza and G-FETT like this.
  21. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Salmond has said a number times that the person he really wants to have a debate with is Cameron, probably because he hopes to turn this thing into Scotland vs England.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So Braveheart 2?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Spanish situation is a little dissimilar -- the UK has allowed the referendum and will abide by its results. Spain has indicated no such willingness.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Salmond has always wanted to frame this as a Scotland V England thing and more specifically, Scotland V English Tories.

Cameron has been smart by refusing to play to his agenda.

True. Nevertheless, something as significant as Scotland leaving the United Kingdom would almost certainly send shock-waves around a number of European capitals. Madrid being one of them.

Lord Chazza and DarthTunick like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm personally looking forward to the Republic of Venice again.