main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SCOUNDRELS - New Han Solo book written by Timothy Zahn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Speculation: Myn Donos, owner of Corellian Bloodstripes?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It should be an interesting story, but i'll wait and see before I make a decision on whether I want to read it.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If it has to include any Jedi, then my vote goes for Starkiller, who Han randomly shoots in the back by accident, giving said Jedi a fittingly ignoble death.:p

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Tyria would be an untrained Force-sensitive future Wraith, killing two stones with one bird.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    If it's smuggler Han Solo, I wonder if he'll be having any run-ins with CorSec. [face_mischief]

Grrr, I want to know more about this book!

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oooh... that's an interesting point. We could see a Jahan Cross cameo. [face_thinking]

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Given what Zahn has been doing so far with Han, his ill fit with the Rebellion and growing acceptance of it, What I expect to see is early events of Han Solo, Rebel Officer. How he made it from Lieutenant to Captain, the early misadventures of command, fitting in as a leader, and likely more General Rieekan.

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'll look forward to this one for sure.

9. ForceReader

ForceReader Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2011
    Another Zahn book? Yes please. I do have to agree with everyone else that has said that Zahn writes a good Han Solo. His portrayal in Choices of One was well done. Though I have to admit that I am disappointed that we won't be getting a Chiss novel. I would like to know more about the Ascendancy. Maybe like how the Chiss came to be or something like that

10. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    This made my day. [face_laugh]

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    This event wasn't something Zahn made up, though. It refers to an anecdote told by Arhul Hextrophon about his experience with Han Solo before Han joined the Rebellion. So unless Han did this more than once (possible, but then it wouldn't be a single incident), it won't be the focus of a novel set in the classic films era.

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007

Hmm, depends on what you mean by 'rogueish'... Zahn almost always writes a Han's that's more respectable than we usually see him. Smart mouthed, yes, but very responsible, even trusting in the Force.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    True. We seem to get ANH Luke and ESB Han.

14. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    I don't know. Depends on the era with Zahn, which he seems to nail. Later in the EU, sure. But I'm reading Choices of One and finished up it's prequel just a few days ago... I would say he's as "rogueish" as ever in these books, and I think Zahn nails it. He's the highlight of these books, in my opinion (although the Hand of Judgment troopers are neat.)

15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We're getting a Han novel, can we get a Lando novel?

16. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Exactly. Zahn does a great Han but the humor is dryer than the films. He's a less broad character with Zahn. But it worked in tandem with Zahn's sprawling plots. A strength of Zahn's respectable Han is that it always gives him definition despite the loss of some of the one liners.

I confess I still find it odd when Han has faith in the Force. Even years into Leia being a Jedi.

17. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    That would be nice. Lando doesn't get enough attention.

Han in Choices of One was good, but Zahn is at his best when he does Thrawn. Most people probably haven't read the Thrawn short stories like Command Decision, Side Trip, and First Contact, but they're worth checking out.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It's worth noting that Zahn has really only written a more "softened" Han. Han felt perfect as he was in the Thrawn Trilogy, a former "rogue" who had been married for close to two years and has a child on the way. He acts more impulsive in Allegiance and Choices, though by that time at least he had been helping the Rebellion for awhile. Haven't seen him write Han before he meets Luke and Leia, at least I don't believe.

However, we can look at some of Zahn's other smuggler characters, like the ship thief in TTT, and probably use that as a reference to how he might write a pre-ANH Han. I think he'd do a good job, but he probably wouldn't be as snappy as the one we see in Daley's novels.

So, I think my vote goes for this taking place after ANH, rather than my first impression of it being before.

Only if Vuffi Raa makes an appearance.

19. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    That would be just wonderful* I would give up a kidney** for that.

*It would have to be a really good book (K-Mac?).
    **It wouldn't be my kidney.

20. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I wonder when we'll get more info on this book.

21. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I like Han Solo, and Zahn writes him well, but I'm not sure I want to read a whole book about him.

22. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I can't wait for the book, I;'m definately hoping to get some Solo adeventure maybe explaining where he was during Splinter. Has GREAT potential.

23. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Do you think Han and Chewie will run into Jahan Cross again?

24. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Not here. Hal Horn on the other hand...

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    OMG Hal Horn. That would be awesome.

Zahn said on his Facebook page yesterday that his next task is to finish revisions to the outline. He also said this:

I won't lie, I wanted more L/M, but this sounds like it could be a ton of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.