Lit SCOUNDRELS - New Han Solo book written by Timothy Zahn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightDawg Jedi Master

star 4
    This is great news. I've been in a sour mood since reading Drew?s really bad Revan novel. So sour, that it has lessened my excitement for the upcoming Darth Plagueis novel. Knowing Zahn is writing a Han Solo novel just put a smile back on my face. Thank you!!!
  2. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    the only zahn books i've read are the thrawn trilogy. i liked them enough but they weren't my favorites by any mean. i know they really started making star wars popular again so i have to thank them for that. but i wasn't really impressed with the whole cloning luke with his hand from esb. not only was it totally ridiculus but it was hyped up and then it seemed like they just ran out of pages and had to end it really soon.
  3. Nagai Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Is it going to be pre-ANH?
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Via Zahn's Facebook page:

"Star Wars news update!

While most of the details (including the title) will have to wait until an official announcement is made (which I'm told will be sometime next month), I *have* been authorized to release a few tidbits concerning my now-officially-approved upcoming Star Wars novel.

First, it will be be set in the classic movie era.
    Second, it will be an Ocean's Eleven-type heist caper.
    And third, it will star everyone's favorite smuggler, Han Solo.

Further details to come."

In the comments he clarified:

"at the moment it's set to be a one-shot."

and

"By an "Ocean's Eleven-type heist caper" I mean that it will have some of the flavor and feel of that movie. That's really all I can say right now."
  5. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I likes. Seems like a callback to the "fun", random stories in the Adventure Journal. It will probably be a standalone ("throwaway" would be a much more harsh, and IMO inaccurate term that might apply) adventure, and I'm fine with that.
  6. TheRedBlade Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm hoping for pre-ANH, starring Han and Lando. Outside of Stover's suave military genius take on the character, Zahn's is my favorite.

I wonder how Chewie will feature in the new book. It seems that Zahn has a bit of a hard time writing him; Chewie and the kids were pretty much Put On A Bus for all of the Hand of Thrawn books, and the big guy was off-page a lot in TTT as well.
  7. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
    Um... What's a "Ocean's Eleven Caper"?
  8. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Ever seen a heist movie? That.

Needless to say, this is required listening while reading.
  9. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
    Um... no :oops:

I have heard of Ocean Eleven, and i think George Clooney is in it and that's it :oops:
  10. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Clooney was in the 2001 remake. The original is a film from 1960. The whole "heist" scenario is been parodied so many times, I'm sure you know of it. You know, a bunch of people get together, plan out a ridiculously complicated scheme to steal a jewel or something similar? As the movie goes on, the plan is slowly revealed to you, they're often narrated, things like that. Obviously translates differently to novel form, but you get the idea.
  11. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
    OK I get you

Is that something Han Solo would do though, OK in his early years he was forced to do it by Garris Shrike, but Han was more of a smuggler...
  12. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not a heist movie fan. Didn't like any of the Oceans movies. Didn't like the Sinatra original. They look like movies that are great fun to make but to watch? Not so much. But it is Zahn and Han so...
  13. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm really curious to see how he's gonna make something like this work in the written medium of Star Wars.
  14. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    If you're a fan of South Park at all, they almost did a straight parody of the Ocean Eleven type of movie. In fact, I'm not a fan of the episode because it was just a straight parody. It's called "About Last Night...".

I think American Dad did an episode entirely dedicated to a heist parody as well, and even used the Green Onions song.

They're fun, I think, but usually not terribly engaging. I do like them as homages, though; Mass Effect 2 had a ridiculously fun mission that was very reminiscent of the "heist" films.

Could be really fun to see it in Star Wars novel form, though. I'm really hoping Lando gets in on this, since it seems more up his alley than Han's, but I think they would still hate each other by this point in time.
  15. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Zahn has always been great at devising complicated but workable schemes and mysteries, so he should be fine constructing a good heist. I look forward to this.
  16. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, this is great news. Han is smart, both as a smuggler and as an officer/leader if needed, and Zahn did a decent job with Chewie in Allegiance and Choices of One (although in Allegiance Chewie was also off-screen part of the time, but Chewie's loyalty and competence were mentioned often).

Normally I don't like heist movies that much either, but its Han and the Empire makes such a nice target (well, that's usually the obvious target but there's plenty of other possibilities too), so that's good. Zahn is usually pretty good at the mystery thing too, so as a heist movie usually involves a big convoluted plan and/or adapting quickly to things going wrong, Han should be a good fit.
  17. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I'm looking forward to this now. This Oceans 11 style heist is a really interesting concept to me for Star Wars. I think Zahn can pull it off and keep all the twists and turns, he kept the twist of who Lord Odo was very well in Allegiance.

Though what will the title be? Solo's 11? And for a sequel he could do an Inception style heist. ;)
  18. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    This sounds interesting, but we already know that if Han's involved, the chances of things going sour are so high, Threepio would short circuit trying to calculate the odds that things won't go sour.[face_laugh]
  19. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Hmmm. Wonder who else will be involved. Possibly some of the old smuggling team?
  20. Malachi108 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    You know what would be even greater? Inception-type heist.

Sorry, couldn't resist there.

Seriously though, it fits with the recent trend of "experimenting" with other genres in SW. Horror/Gore in Deathtroopers/Red Harvest, Noir in Coruscant Nights etc.
  21. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    My longtime wish has been a big old Han's-buddies caper story. There are more than enough smugglers and con men around to build a big old Han's Eleven crew out of. Han, Chewie, Jarik, Lando, Mako, Roa, Rik Duel, Salla, Shug, Katya M'buele, Dash, Rek Desh, Ana Blue, Zeen Afit, Kid DXo'In. If it's actually during Han's time with the Rebellion, though, and not just movie-era in the sense that it's two years before ANH, who knows. There are some interesting Rebels Han could join up with, though with Zahn I wouldn't expect a ton of continuity-plumbing, though you never know. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Page in on it, though.
  22. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I mentioned my desire for Booster and Karrde appearances and he "liked" my comment, so...

I'm hopeful for it. ;)
  23. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4

You've just been inceptioned.

24. Bly Force Ghost

star 4
    My god, it can be like The Expendables of Star Wars smugglers! Roa, Rik Duel, Trooper Badure, Booster, Karrde, Mako Spince, Shug Ninx, Salla Zend, Lo Khan...all together for one more fleecing.
  25. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, like you said, usage of canon has never been one of Zahn's strengths. He never outright contradicts anything, which is good, but he usually draws from his own works.

He has incorporated the odd reference to other EU works, though. I was surprised to see Rogue Planet mentioned in Outbound Flight, and the Vong playing a role in Thrawn's motivations. Couldn't see non-movie or non-original characters becoming major elements of the plot, though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.