Lit SCOUNDRELS - New Han Solo book written by Timothy Zahn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    So anyone have any guesses as to what will be heisted? Knowing Zahn Thrawn could well be in it. Could we see them stealing his art collection?
  2. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 5
    The first and the third Ocean's movie was great. the second one sucked. It wasn't just George Clooney, all the big stars were in it. Matt Damon, Juia Roberts, and Brad Pitt among others
  3. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Or, knowing Zahn, Han will be stealing art for Thrawns collection :p. He'll be an unknowing pawn, but that goes without saying.

Only slight sarcasm intended, actually. No maliciousness intended, though, I really like Thrawn.
  4. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    No, no. I really like your idea. Something like, Thrawn really wanting some vase in Palpatine's throne room so he secretly orchestrates a huge heist to get it that is not revealed till the end where it is revealed Thrawn was duped as it was all part of Vaders plan, which then turns out to be part of Palpatine's plan cause he never liked the vase but couldn't throw it away because it was a gift from Sate Pestage.
  5. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    ^ This is exactly what I'm hoping for. :D
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    We've seen Han capable of running scams before (especially in the HSAs), so a heist doesn't seem out of place to me, sounds good.

[face_laugh]
  7. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Aw cone on guys. This would be a perfect spotlight for some BoShek action!
  8. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    *achem*

If I may be the contrarian for just a moment.

What if Han were the target? A bunch of his old smuggler friends are annoyed that he's wasting the Falcon's talents running errands for the Rebels, so they team up to steal her. [face_mischief]
  9. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Sounds very nice indeed :D though I still rather want Zahn und Stackpole to team black up and write their originally planned Treasure Hunt story with Terrik und Karrde. ;)
  10. Bly Force Ghost

star 4
    Or, even better, The Re-enlistment of Baron Fel? :p
  11. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Crisis of Faith ? :)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crisis_of_Faith
  12. Bly Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh that was awesome too, make no mistake, but TROBF was co-written by Stackpole and Zahn about how he came to be in Thrawn's service, not just about a particular mission therein.
  13. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Was that the one that was written, but for whatever reason never published?
  14. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Yeah. It currently exists both as a comic script and as a fully written short story.
  15. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
  16. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Eh? Why on earth hasn't it been published? Is there some legal issue in play?
  18. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Stackpole co-wrote at least an outline for a six-issue comic arc, if not the full six issues, but the X-wing comics were canceled before it could be used. So they reworked it into a four-part short story, one would presume in the style of Side Trip and Interlude at Darkknell. However, by that time, it would have been right around when Bantam lost the license and the Tales from series ended, and WEG would have already folded up. There just wasn't an outlet for it to get published, and the publishing outlet for lengthy novella-size multi-part short stories still just isn't there. As for its comic form, presumably they're not just constantly pitching it, and it's enough of a niche interest that the longer it gets from X-wing's cancellation, the less market there is for a one-off miniseries about a pilot half the comics-reading population will never have heard of spun off a long-canceled series.
  19. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    They could always include it in an X-Wing omnibus, or something along those lines....
  20. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Would they bother adding new material to an omnibus? Brand new material, not just something that's been long out of print. I think the X-wing series had a few dangling plot threads, but I try not to think about them too much (don't want to get too sad and nostalgic). Sad to hear that plot was actually mostly written up but never published. Hm, wonder if that could still end up in the Insider someday (although based on how long Side Trip and the Darkknell sidestories were, probably not). Even back when Starwars.com still had something of worth (before they took down all the good stuff), something like this sounds too big. Hm, maybe as an ebook novella? Probably not free, as the Lost Tribe short stories were, but since we'll (sadly) probably never see any more "Tales from" collections, so that's the best possibility I can think of.

Although Zahn might be pretty busy these days anyway, with this Han Solo book and I think his final Quadrail book is coming this year (or was it next?). And doesn't seem like Stackpole is coming back any time soon either.

It'd be awesome if this pulled in all of Han's smuggler buddies. Zahn doesn't reference as much continuity as other authors, but he's also worked pretty well in the EU, nothing was ever all that strange. And Outbound Flight was a pretty good example of Zahn working with some other canon at least. Too bad that Han and Lando probably won't be working together if its OT era (with Lando on Cloud City and Han being in carbonite after ESB), but that still leaves plenty of other "friends".
  21. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, I read the story (or maybe the comic?) is actually sitting on both Zahn and Stackpole's hard drive.

I know this isn't supposed to be asked... but have they "surfaced" on the internet? C'mon, Zahn, leak it :p
  22. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Hmm, might not ebook novellas be the ideal format for the story? There is the precedent and success of JJM's Lost Tribe books.

(I haven't read FOTJ, don't plan to, but I may well end up buying the collected of those - such is their rep!)
  23. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Solo's Eleven? Sounds fun. :)

Hmm... pondering who Zahn could bring into the story, as he nearly always finds a way to slot some of his characters into things. What's Cardas doing at this point in time? If this happens before-or-around-ANH, isn't that roughly around when Cardas ran off to Kathol? [face_thinking]

Been so long since I read TTT though that I can't really remember who Han was hanging around with beyond Luke and Leia.

Could also be fun if he found some way to bring Rendar into it maybe, given he's recently been made popular again with Shadow Games.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit mod AWAY

Manager
    star 10
    Well, fix it. I command you.
  25. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    The problem seems to be that Dark Horse doesn't appear interested - after all, they did put out a brand-new Rogue Squadron LS to spark interest in the Omnibus that was rather blah.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.