main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Scrapped TFA ideas

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Legions of Lettow, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Interesting. The Weimar Republic was allowed to keep a military and even allowed to maintain obligatory military duty. But the size was still small snd they didn't have s lot of hardware. After your two year obligation, you were a reserve, and Germany built up a large reserve.

The Nazi SA, the Brown Shirts, the original Stormtroopers, were much later than the German Army. Then there was the Night of the Long Knives. The SS Army in WWII was a joke.

Tanjint likes this.
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    One prevalent concept that seems to be shelved is that the First Order really used the color red moreso. We saw a little bit of that in the flags, and the tiny stripe on the Tie-Fighter, but there were concepts where more of their ships were fully bright red, and their armor was more red.

I'd love for the aesthetic to now push away from the OT. Have their uniforms and ships be decked out in red. Go bold.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah the FO doesn't appear to have any regulars. It's like if you had an entire force of elite forces. Yeah the Weimar reduced their army down to a few hundred thousand. Ostensibly just enough to defend their sovereignty and preclude any offensive capability.

DarkGingerJedi, yeah they experimented with fully red ships during the design phase.
    There is a precedent for that with the republic cruiser that opens Episode One.

4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks for pix! Awesome!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The underwater one is where they are searching for ancient Force artifacts. That was an early idea.

6. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    There's an interesting piece on page 36, depicting what seems to be an ancient Sith army ( based on a still from Ivan the Terrible, apparently )....also, a picture of Luke stood waist deep in sand, between pillars, as well as emerging from sand, and a sequence of 3 portraits of Luke that seem to depict him transforming into what appears to be an early design for Snoke.

7. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    And Rey was MORE powerful. I wonder how this got talked down.

The SLEDGEHAMMER sounds AWESOME! And it would've been awesome! And a what a flip! The Republic has a super power but.... BUUUUT!

This dude really plucked out what could've been an awesome SW movie.

8. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah. I think the idea of the Emperors throne room crashing down to, I would guess, hopefully, Endor, is completely unrealistic seeing as how it went kaboooom last we saw it. The idea of having an Imperial trench flooded with water and they'd have to swim down to retrieve something important is kinda cool.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

It was an awesome SW movie.

DarkGingerJedi that was THE DS trench from ANH.

10. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    The Luke transformation portraits are intriguing. I guess dark Luke was in the cards at some point?

Edit: or maybe a spiritual confrontation a la Yoda in TCW? Or, similarly, a call back to Luke's cave trial in ESB?

Edit 2: leaving out the sledgehammer was most definitely the right thing to do, IMO. Best to keep the focus on Kylo, Rey and Finn. Plus, it gave us at least a little more Phasma. Wonder if they jettison waste into space? Maybe that's how Phasma escapes the planet.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

They experimented with all kinds of Luke stuff. Arndt mentions in the book how he kept putting Luke into the film about halfway through but every time he did, the new characters became background players. They eventually decided to hold back on Luke until the end.

edit: The other interesting thing to emerge is Arndt was hired by Disney not Lucas. Lucas gave Disney his treatments and they hired Arndt. He worked on the treatments for about nine months before Disney hired JJ and Kennedy brought Kasdan in.

12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Just got the Art Of book today (along with a Black Series Finn and 3.75 Poe :D) and there are a LOT of absolutely incredible things in there that I am 99% sure will pop up in the next 2 movies.

Red Star Destroyers, a Kylo mask that evolves to be more like Vader's, Shamans, locations with majestic waterfalls, creepy Anakin ghosts that could haunt both Kylo and Rey....yep now that TFA is so huge they can veer off into all sorts of new things. Can't wait! Definitely exciting times for SW fans! The rest of the world just has to fall into line with us!!!! :p

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought those red SDs were very cool. I think there are plenty of people falling into lines with us at movie theaters right this moment. :p

14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Well its like pairing ROTS with ANH. Visually they blend into one another, naturally, organically, evolutionally. The same thing happens here. We start off with very familiar visual design and then move off. I think some people who are complaining that everything looks the same, just want everything on their plate now. This wasn't a problem with the PT, because it started a slightly different design language. (which oddly enough, people also complained about too)

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  15. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    I wondered whether the Luke transformation portraits and the emerging from sand stuff was intended to depict a vision? Something like ESB's Dagobah cave scene. The ideas seem more metaphorical than literal.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm excited we finally get great characters dialogue and story now after many years. I could care less if they were flying in N1 star fighters really. You can make all that work if you nail character story and dialogue. They did and so all this other stuff is where it should be: secondary. Great stuff all, but still secondary.

Mungo Baobab, I thought the text explained it was a vision? Maybe not?

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Can you post a picture of this art?

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Just picture a crystal with rope tied around it in the handle area. It look positively paleolithic. So simple even a caveman can do it. :p

19. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    I'll see if I can post a pic of it from my phone.

20. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Lightsaber duel by the Millennium Falcon.

22. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I wish we got the Sledgehammer. Oh well, more ideas for episode 8.

Rhyoth and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  23. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Death Star II Turbolaser batteries should not be intact and in context and in vertical orientation, just so. Oh well. Would have liked a visual puzzle.

*Unless that is not the DS2

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish this had happened.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    A good hunch tells me you will get your wish in Episode VIII. I think a lot of stuff was pushed to that episode. Going off by what I read particularly the visual dictionary, a lot of it focus on Luke and him training Rey. Obviously that will be a big emphasis in the next one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.