main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Script Help (cutting away the fat)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Desann2002, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Ok, this is aimed at people who have read the First New jedi order Book (Vector Prime).

So, if you have not read the book, have somethign useless and off topic to say, or just plain hate my guts, then dont post here as it wont help me and just frankly is both a waste of your time and mine.

Anyways, to topic. Those of you who have read Vector Prime (and i knwo your out there ;) ) I would liek your opinion on a pertanat (curse my dislexia) subject. "WHAT PARTS OF THE NOVEL ARE GOOD STORY TELLING AND WHAT IS JUST PLAIN RUBBISH" (and Dr J dont come here and say the whole book :p )

basically, what parts do you the fans deem a must for the project (the film) and what do you think should not have been put in (and saying chewies demise wont get you any points ;) )

anyways, thansk for the help.

Steve - Lost and ALone :_|

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    This would probably be best suited in the Writer's Resource forum.

Not that it's OT. It would just probably find better opinions and reception there.

EDIT: Wrong link.

~Neszis~

3. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    thanks for the pointer Nez

4. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    I've adapted 4 books to scripts. I can tell you that you need to stick to the main storyline of a book. Any secondary plotlines will just steer you away. The only exception to this is when the secondary plotline actually becomes the story! But I don't think you want to do that. So concentrate on the main story line and avoid everything else. Choose say 5 main scenes throughout the book that really propel the story and build around them.

And remember, script writing is about STRUCTURE!

Good luck.

5. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    thanks for those pointers

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Anything that doesn't get the story to the end can be considered "fat" and can be cut. That doesn't mean, however, it SHOULD be cut, as some character pieces that aren't vital necessarily to the story are vital to making us CARE about what happens in the story by making the characters real people to us. This is an area where George has been dropping the ball lately.

Also, there are ways to shorten a script without pure cutting. Combining characters or scenes, changing a line so that one sentence in the script encompasses three that were said in the book, etc.

M. Scott

7. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    True True, i wouldnt want to write a good script and then relize that because of soem cutting i have made the characters very wooden (ala GL)

I will need soemone to look at the script wonce finsiehd (to correct some grammor and to tell me what they think *the grammor side becasue of my dislexia*)

Anyways, i am lookign at a 400 page novel, a 300 page A5 writing pad and a 3 page sotry synaps as i type this, wish me luck (i'm gonna need it)

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Consider this:

William Goldman, an adaptive screenwriter whose career has been hit-and-miss (he's done some brilliant adaptations, and yet I've never seen an adapted screenplay that missed the point of the original work more than Hearts in Atlantis, which was also him) goes through the work to be adapted and marks down parts that MUST be in the screenplay. Either for reasons of story, or character. But just CRUCIAL points. Note them down.

Between them is where you have leeway to really mix and jumble.

M. Scott

9. dr_modean

dr_modean Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2003
    Consider picking up the book Anatomy of a Screenplay by Dan Decker. It sells for about 15 to 20 dollars.(depending on where you go)

Mainly its about generating a good story and characters to put into an even better screenplay. But it also tells you things like how to keep your film's action level at its peak the whole way through and many things that you should never put into a movie script.

Remember that this is not necessarily a tutorial book as much as it is a guideline. Kind of a rule of thumb book.

If you are serious about turning novel into film, you should buy a copy ASAP.

10. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    THANK GOD I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKS AT A BOOK STORE ;) definatly gonna buy that book.

Thanks for all the responses so far, its helping me alot, still, theres alot i need to figure out and alot i still need to work at.

11. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    Just to Update you gusy a bit more, i ahve finally drawn out a Time Table for myself, and soem of you gusy will laugh at me and others will just fob it off as some un-known tryign to do the impossible.

Vector Prime is currently back in the scripting stage, and is currently (by my esimate) looking to have at least a year or two of development a research ahead of it. This sounds rediculous i know, but with a story as complex and compelling as Vecot Prime i want to make it the best way i can, even if that is taking a long time to do it.

So, that me signing off for now, any queries or insights you might want to bring to my attention or anything you'd liek to say please PM me.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.