main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Scum and Villainy Radio (Upcoming Interview with Paul Davids)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey all. I have started a brand new Star Wars Podcast, called Scum and Villainy Radio. We cover everything Star Wars related, especially Expanded Universe content. If you want to check us out our official website is www.scumandvillainyradio.com

We also have a facbook page and can be followed on twitter @SandVRadio
    We accepta all feedback.
    Will post updates and news in this thread.

2. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Episode #5 is here with a special interview with author JohnJacksonMiller.

Download it on iTunes or stream it from our official website.

3. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Listened to the last one, Will check out JJM one, Keep it up.

4. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks! This weeks is loads better than the audio issues we had last week.

5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Just got an update: we will be interviewing Paul Davids in January! He is the author of the Jedi Prince Series published in 1992. Do any fans have questions for him you would like us to ask?

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    :eek:

Grey1, windu4, RC-1991 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    You a fan of his work?

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You could ask about what it was like to write in a shared SW universe back then and how much "studying" was there. There was no Wookieepedia for quick fact-checking but then again there were only a handful of books and no comics (Marvels didn't count, if I'm not mistaken).

instantdeath also wrote about the role of the Force in the secular Empire in his piece about the series in Eleven-ThirtyEight, you could ask for his thoughts about the subject.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I can't believe he agreed to an interview. Last I heard about them, they were complaining to TFN that their bad JP reviews were hurting their careers.

10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Guess I'm that good then :p

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    As I said, I would love to hear what their plans for the rest of the series was, about if Obi-Wan and Kendalina were supposed to be related, and if they truly did intend for Triclops to be the son of Palpatine.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  12. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks, I will be sure to add these questions to my list.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If you get a chance, ask him or let him know about the underground fandom he and his wife generated over the years. I have no idea if he's aware.

And if it's possible, thank him for all the laughs. His work has been appreciated. If not in the way he originally intended.

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I will. Would you care to elaborate on "underground fandom", just so I understand you meaning better?

15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Pfft Chewie89 you know what I mean.:p His books have spurred an underground following of fans enamored by the countless zany characters/inventions/plotlines for which he's responsible.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm just saying Trioculus for Chief of State.

Barriss_Coffee and Chewbacca89 like this.
  17. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree. I really hope he is the villain for Episode 7. Maybe him and Thrawn can go head-to-head.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm actually also curious if he read any of the Star Wars books that were written after the Glove series. The last time I remember seeing an interview with him he mentioned how "Shadows" was being over-used in Star Wars titles so I'm guessing he's at least partially aware, but especially given how dark everything has gotten since 1999, which is definitely not the tone of the Glove books, I'd just be interested in his thoughts/critiques on the direction of the EU that came after.

Oh, and I guess also, if he's aware of how Abel Pena has basically retconned his entire series into something completely different than what it was intended (the whole false Prophets thing, the struggle against Isard, Trioculous and Triclops both being real sons of Palpatine, Hissa's odd backstory, etc) and what his take on that is?

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Great question about what all he has read. When was the last interview he did in regards to Star Wars? I couldn't find anything online.

I'm not too familiar with those retcons. What was the source for those?

20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What book uses "Shadows" in the title besides Shadows of the Empire? Am I forgetting any? Or is one title too much?

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think it was so much an interview as he answered some questions by email. That was the origin of the information that there was supposed to be three more books, the first of which would begin with the wedding being disrupted by Imperials. The site's offline now, but you can see it on Web Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040619094840/home.earthlink.net/~kcfurman/books.html#godv

The retcons originated in the Star Wars Insider Grand Admirals article from over a decade ago, now. The Aliens in the Empire and SPIN articles from the last few years have fleshed them out. Even before then I think one of the roleplaying publications suggested the Glove books were just kids' stories that Han and Leia told the twins and were only loosely based on the "real" events, but I think as it stands now, the stuff that happened in the books "really" happened, it's just that there was also a ton of "off-screen" stuff as well.

Barriss_Coffee and Chewbacca89 like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Sounds me like he was upset that Shadows of the Empire stole his use of the word and wanted credit for the OG title with Shadows in it.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  23. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    "This has been about 10 years and it's very hard to remember, except I recall we would have called one book SHADOWS OF OBIWAN. That was before "Shadows" showed up in other STAR WARS titles." - Paul Davids

The impression I get is that he is trying to show he had the idea before other novels with "Shadows" in it came around.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Knowing Stover's aberrant sense of humor, I'm starting to wonder if the use of "Shadows" in his last book was an intentional troll move.

Gorefiend and Chewbacca89 like this.
  25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Every one of those things, excepting Trioculus being the genetic offspring of Palpatine, originated elsewhere. Abel just contextualized a lot of those existing retcons into a more cohestive whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.