main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH SD Comic-Con '06!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_William, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_William

Darth_William Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 4, 2002
    [image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/b1lly/ccihdr_r1_c2.jpg]
    Will there be a more exciting place on the planet to be next week?!?
    In anticipation of next week's San Diego Comic-Con, I thought I'd post the things I'm most excited to hear about to get a better idea of exactly when we should expect the news to start trickling over the 'net during the weekend:

Friday, July 21

11:00-12:30 Bryan Singer Returns!-
    Please welcome long-time friend of Comic-Con, director Bryan Singer, to answer your questions about Superman Returns and give you an idea of what's next. Plus: more news and special promo items will be given to all who attend. (Hall H)

11:30-12:30 What?s New, and What?s Coming at Hasbro?
    Hear first announcements about Hasbro?s products that you might not learn about anywhere else, plus get a special sneak preview of the 2007 product line. Meet members of Hasbro?s Star Wars marketing and design teams, the talented people who work on the company?s Attacktix, Titanium, and Star Wars action figure line, including the designer of the Comic-Con International exclusive 501st Stormtrooper figure. Q&A time, too! (Room 2)

2:00-3:30 DVD Sneak Peek 2006?
    Bill Hunt and Todd Doogan, editors of The Digital Bits.com (recently named one of Entertainment Weekly's Top 25 Entertainment Sites of 2006) and a panel of some of Hollywood's leading special edition DVD producers will give you a first look at lots of great movie and TV DVDs on the way for 2006 and 2007! They'll talk about the new HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc high-definition formats and answer lots of audience questions. Scheduled to participate are Robert Meyer Burnett (Superman Returns, Free Enterprise: SE, Chronicles of Narnia), JM Kenny (Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder, Zoom, Rocky Balboa), Charles de Lauzirika (Kingdom of Heaven, Twin Peaks, Blade Runner), Andy Mangels (He-Man, She-Ra, Dungeons & Dragons), and Javier Soto (Pan's Labyrinth, The 4400). (Room 6B)

4:00-4:15 Universal Home Video: King Kong Deluxe Extended DVD?
    A sneak peek from the upcoming King Kong Deluxe Extended Edition DVD will be introduced by a message from director Peter Jackson. (Hall H)

4:30-5:30 Lucasfilm?s Star Wars Spectacular?
    It wouldn?t be Comic-Con International without hearing the latest on Lucasfilm and Star Wars from Steve Sansweet, the company?s head of Fan Relations. Sansweet will top off Star Wars Day with previews of what?s coming next, plus special announcements that will be heard for the first time ever during this presentation. Once again, Sansweet will show that Lucasfilm means it when it says ?Star Wars is Forever.? (Hall H)

5:45-7:00 New Line Cinema Presents Snakes on a Plane?
    Sit back. Relax. Enjoy the fright. New Line Cinema will show exclusive footage from Snakes on a Plane. Samuel L. Jackson makes his first San Diego Comic-Con appearance, along with director David R. Ellis, to discuss his new film! And, watch out?snake wrangler Jules Sylvester will also be on hand with live snakes from the movie. (Hall H)

Saturday, July 22

1:00-2:30 Kevin Smith?
    The moment is here. Kevin Smith?s Clerks 2 is in theaters now, and the man, the myth, the legend behind it is here at Comic-Con to talk about the making of the film and whatever else he damn well pleases. (Hall H)

2:00-3:00 Hasbro/Marvel-
    Marvel Legends. Spider-Man Origins. Superhero Squad and much more!? Find out what it?s all about at the first Hasbro/Marvel panel ever! Jesse Falcon from Toy Biz joins Hasbro team members Billy Lagor, Randy Shoemaker, and Brian Wilk. Don?t miss this opportunity to see a sneak peak of what Hasbro has in store for their spring 2007 Marvel line. (Room 8)

5:00-6:30 Sony Presents: Ghost Rider & Spider-Man 3-
    Sony Pictures proudly presents a pair of Marvels: The classic Marvel comic Ghost Rider comes to the big screen with Academy Award?winning Nicolas Cage playing Johnny Blaze. Appearing in person to answer your questions and show some previews will b

2. Darth_William

Darth_William Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 4, 2002
    Forgot this!:

Saturday, July 22

3:30-4:30 The Future of Marvel?s Film Franchises?
    The next great era of comic book films begins as Marvel Studios launches its new slate. The studio is currently developing many of its landmark titles for adaptation to the screen, including Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Nick Fury, and Ant-Man. At this presentation, the directors of Iron Man (Jon Favreau), The Incredible Hulk, and Ant-Man (Edgar Wright) will share their visions for these highly anticipated films. Producers Avi Arad, Kevin Feige, and Ari Arad will join the panel and be on hand to answer questions from the audience. Moderated by Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter. (Room 6CDEF)

3. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Maybe he'll add something to the movie that actually makes a 3 hr movie worthwhile to watch - of course the extended version will be like 15 hrs long, so it still won't be worth it.

HELLS YEAH I CAN!!

4. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    /sigh/ All this dose is remind me that I'm not going. :_|

And I agree that the LAST thing Kong needs is an extended cut. I hated that movie on many levels. In addition to it just being bad, it also kept me at work extremely late every night. (It never failed. ONE guy would always come in for the very last showing and we'd have to run it.)

5. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    How does that work? Do you have to run the trailers regardless in case someone comes in late for the movie?

6. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    Eh, it sort of depends on how ambitious we're feeling. Not so much now that it's summer, but during the school year, it got pretty quiet during the week, so sometimes we would only run the movies that people bought for. If people came in late, we would just have to start the movie late. (Huge pain in the butt.)

As far as the trailers, they're actually attached to the movie, so you really can't start one without the other.

7. darthgwen

darthgwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    :_| I wanna be there too! I even have this weekend off. Hmmm (insert completely implausible devious plot to get myself to San Diego this weekend) LOL!

8. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002

What I mean is, do you start running the trailers and if noone comes, just turn the film off and rewind it.

9. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    Projectors don't rewind. It's basically impossible if you know the inner workings of the projector. Even if you could flip the gears around somehow, the film would probably catch on fire in about a second or two.
    Heh, you've also stumbled upon the average pet peeve of most of the other projectionist I've ever met. It doesn't bother me so much, but if you really want to tick off the average projectionist, start talking about rewinding. If that doesn't get them, start talking about the special features of the DVD.
    True story: When "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was out, the guy who trained me was working at Marcus Theatre and, one night late into the movie's run, there was just one couple watching it. About half way through it, the came out and asked if he could "flip the disk over or set it to English or something" because, and this is a quote here, "they're all speaking ch--k in there." (If you don't get it, good for you - it's a very derogatory term for Chinese people.)
    We get stuff like that all the time. The job would be great if it weren't for the customers.

10. darthgwen

darthgwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    LOL! I loved that story about the rewinding Crouching Tiger. Having had worked in a theatre for several years, I know many a woe of stupid customer related questions. But I love the dumbfounded look people give you when you tell them that you can't rewind a film. It's like they can't work their brains around the concept. And I swear if I had to deal with another customer upset about a film because they never bothered to read a review or synopsis over it... I was going to punch someone.

11. bekkara

bekkara Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2006

Or "What do you mean you haven't seen it? You work here...don't you get free movies or something like that?"

Um, yes, I do work here. As a matter of fact, if I'm here, 9 chances out of 10 that's what I'm doing: working, not watching movies just so I can review them for you.

My other favorite is movie titles being mispronounced. Diabolique was out when I was in Wooster and everyone kept referring to it as "Diabolical". Nothing, however, beat someone ordering two tickets for "that Les Miserables movie" (pronounced lez mizerables, like the English word, as opposed
    to the French pronunciation or just shortening it to Les Mis) with a Kentucky accent. :D

12. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000

Well, you could always just FedEx yourself to San Diego. Put yourself in a box with supplies for a few days, and your good to go. Also, might wanna only go ground shipping if you dont have any oxygen canisters sitting around. That air at 30,000 feet is just a bit thin....

Then when you get there, you can sleep in the park, cause it'a always warm in San Diego. As for actually getting back, I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

13. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    Ok see I didn't know that a projector couldn't rewind. I'd have thought someone would have come up with a way to do that in case something was wrong with the print from the very beginning. And I don't mean rewind so much as in "hey rewind that, I wanna see it again," but more along the lines of, "we didn't need to play the whole thing, lets just let it respool back to the beginning so its ready for the next time." Seems much quicker to me.

14. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    "Ah, yes, I would like a ticket for 'Memories of a Geisha'.

â??Uh, is Curious George, like, a cartoon the whole time? â??Yo mean they donâ??t, like, switch to normal any time? Man, thatâ??s dumb.â??

And, having on more then one occasion been forced to work when I had originally come in to see a movie, no, Iâ??m not going to see every movie. (Iâ??m still bitter about not getting to see Batman Begins that second time. Very last day and some jerk decided to not show up, sticking me with an unexpected 12 hour shift.)

Oh, and as far as the free movie thing, just because itâ??s free doesnâ??t necessarily make me want to see â??the Ringerâ??.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.