main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion SDCC 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Dewback, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    There's going to be quite a bit of TFA info coming out of San Diego Comic Con this week so I thought I'd set up a thread to discuss things as they are released. Here are some announcements (official and otherwise) so you know what/when to expect (or try to avoid) information as it makes its way online.

Here is the official announcement and schedule (TFA panel starts at 5:30 pm, Pacific Time on Friday)

Here is some merch that will only be available at SDCC

Here is an article from Entertainment Weekly on what to expect and what not to expect from the TFA panel on Friday. (No new trailer until Fall)

Alienware and EHT like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The video from the The Force Awakens panel is out:

Warning: Contains images that some might feel are too spoilery:

Chris_Fives, EHT and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks for posting. Yeah, the video is great. It's basically an officially released behind-the-scenes video for TFA. As noted, some people here might find parts of it to be spoilers.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah. Beware if you are very sensitive to spoilers. As there are bits which may exceed expectations. And, confirm things you have heard but were attempting to doubt.

5. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Ok, all jokes aside but seriously you guys I had chills entire time watching this video. Haters gonna hate and for me, Disney is handling the SW brand 100% right!

Quality and visually wise this movie is going to be incredible! And I have a strong feeling that story-wise we will also be pleased.

I really enjoyed prequels and don't mind they have overused CGI, but TFA looks really amazing with all this real sets!

JJ and the team are doing such a great job!

I hope Disney learnt their lesson after Ultron and will not show too much in trailers, spots and other promo materials.

So far, I am beyond excited and impressed by how they have handled everything!^:)^

Dewback and Pensivia like this.
  6. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm quite mixed on the preview.

Rather than simply showing what they're doing, at least 90% if not all of what they're selling is "practical" effects and nostalgia. "This is Classic Star Wars guys! Just like the '80s!" Instead of selling their own product, they're riding on the OT, which makes me feel like the movie won't have an identity of its own and will simply be nostalgia bait.

Now this isn't necessarily how it will be, but that's what they're selling. It's pretty sad.

And of course, more shoving "practical effects, real sets" in your face, pretending and purporting that the PT has no real sets or practical effects. Basing their entire advertising campaign of the false information purported by people who hate the previous movies is simply wrong in my mind.

7. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    I agree with you. But it looks like it's working, because people are freaking out with excitement ;) I kinda felt sad when I was watching the comic-con panel. Abrams speeches were like a giant middle finger to Lucas.

The only thing that is really bothering me with their promo plan is a complete removing PT references. For example, Poe Dameron is a 'best freaking pilot' etc etc and they talk that he is like taking the Han Solo and Luke legacy of piloting further etc. Why no mentioning Anakin? Wasn't he the best pilot in the Galaxy?

They tend to forget that PT generated a lot of new fans (me included), so they should make some references here and there to these movies as well. I hate that even they are separating it. PT and OT are the one thing!!! It is the Saga we all love and cherish and they should focus more on this!

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I liked the panel and the behind-the-scenes video, but I do think there was too much of the whole "Everything's real! Practical effects!" angle going on. Some have pointed out that they could also be comparing this movie to other big movies being made these days, which may be true, but it does also feel like they're referencing the PT there too. The PT filmed desert scenes in the actual desert too... that was not CGI sand. :p

Ironically, though, I think the movies themselves (separated from any blurbs or marketing) will feel like a continuation of the Saga as a whole, not just something that references or mimics the OT. The only part of it that should logically have a stronger connection to the OT is the chronology of events. It makes sense since this movie is set 30 years after ROTJ.

9. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    I have that feeling too and I really do hope they will reference PT and TCW era. Thanks to that, it all feels like a one, great story!

Bail B. Baobab, Pensivia and EHT like this.
  10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ^This...it's nice to know that there are others out there who got this vibe as well.

But I'm also like you in that I'm very excited for TFA!:) I'm definitely NOT "deciding to hate it already" as some posters have described those of us who are not thrilled with how the film has been promoted thus far. Even though I'm not really impressed by the Abrams films I have seen, I really hope that I won't be disappointed.

It's just that most of the marketing/official release statements and also some of the mainstream news coverage of the film has indeed seemed to me like "a giant middle finger to Lucas," and, as a fellow Saga fan and an appreciator of George (as both a filmmaker and a person), it is definitely off-putting.

11. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Well, that's heartening to me. I watched it but didn't see and confirmations of things I was "attempting to doubt." Maybe I'm doing a better job of avoiding rumors than I thought!

I understand the whole attitude that it seems like they're trying to distance themselves from the PT too much. I just think they know their audience. We've already seen "new" stuff (check out the lightsaber, for crying out loud,) they're obviously not shying away from CGI and motion capture where appropriate (as also evidenced in the video,) and their big Disney game comes with PT stuff out of the box. When I say I think they know their audience, they know that anyone who wasn't put off by the prequels is already sold. But how many people are so angry about them that they spout nonsense like "the prequels don't exist as far as I'm concerned"? Ahsoka's (and soon Rex's) appearance in Rebels tells me that they know when to include popular things. My personal speculation (and please don't confirm or deny if you know either way) is that Max von Sydow is a MUCH older Kanan. This trilogy will absolutely combine the two into one story moving forward, they just have to hide it from the haters. It's like a parent doing the airplane thing to get kids to eat broccoli. Did you like it? Ha! That was a PT idea! I knew you liked it! Kinda thing.

12. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    :eek: [face_nail_biting][face_hypnotized]

I have never ever thought about it.. I have taken him as a brand new character. Damn dude! You got me seriously thinking about all of this... I would love the idea. But I feel that Kylo will be somehow related to Luke, Leia or Han. We will see. I am not reading any plot rumors, so it is just my speculations ;)

I'm very excited about the movie and will judge it after watching it. There is no point to hate the movie without even seeing it (and there is a lot of people who already hate it. I don't get it, but oh well..) So far I really like and enjoy what Disney is doing with SW brand and I feel TFA will be the movie that I wanted to see.

I started to be a fan after watching AOTC, so I am more connected with PT and new stuff. But I will never diminish OT. For me it's one story but I just simply have more memories with PT.

Bail B. Baobab and Pensivia like this.
  13. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ^oh, I love that idea![face_laugh]

Bail B. Baobab likes this.