Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23 Jedi Master

star 4
    I read a really interesting essay (i'll post the link later if ne1 wants it) about how the saga represents saesons within it's locations and storylines

if you view it in order:

TPM: summer - vibrant colours, light (anakin young & innocent)
    AOTC: summer to autumn - lots more browns, things turn darker (as represented by anakin)
    ROTS: autumn to winter - the end of an era, everything becomes dark & dies (luke is born to represent the start of the new year)

ANH: winter - bleak locations, the galaxy is in darkness (vader is an empty shell carrying out the empires orders)
    TESB: winter to spring - starts in winter (note in particular Hoth) , we then see more life (dagobah) (vader starts to feel something again)
    ROTJ: spring to summer - endor represents a planet full of natural life (just as naboo did to start with (anakin is redeemed and "lives" again - light is returned to the galaxy)

interestingly if u watch the saga as it was released we go from winter (ANH) to winter (ROTS) showing the actual whole seasonal pattern of a standard year.

any thoughts or comments?

here is the link, check it out:
  2. TheWhiteTuxedo Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I've always though of the Prequels being like different times of day.

Episode I - About noon. Bright, cheery. Some dark clouds on the horizon.

Episode II - Late afternoon. The sun is going down, and darkness is creeping in.

Epsidoe III - 11:59 PM.
  3. Leia_me Jedi Youngling

Season or time, it's quite the same I think.
    It starts light and with every episode it gets darker and darker.....

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Wow, I never thought of that.
  5. Darth_Stern Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Something could also be said about the films tones being reflections of where the main character(Anakin) is in his life cycle.
    And that cycle being a mirror to the cycle of the seasons and possibly the universe

TPM - bright,exuberant,innocent (the unspoiled child)

AOTC - eratic,melodramatic,rash (the immature teen pre-adult)

ROTS - hyperfocused,proactive,troubled (the acceptance of adulthood and role that happens in ones coming of age)

ANH - inclosed,focused,defined (the business as usual mindset of the established adult)

TESB - melancholy,seeking,dramatic (the regret of ones choices that results from the facing of middle-age)

ROTJ - resolute,accepting,lighter (the return of innocence that comes with old age and death)

I love the tone poem that are these films. With all of them being complete the "why is it like this" question is so evident.

Brilliant...just brilliant.

6. WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ^^ Wow, excellent points! I feel that I have lived through some of those "seasons" of life myself. I had never really thought of SW this way before. Cool thread!
  7. DarthWolvo23 Jedi Master

star 4
    cheers dude

be sure to check out the essay on that site

8. Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Wow, I was reminded of the Requiem for a Dream film.

Very good points.
  9. MickyJedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    That's great! Thank you for sharing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.