main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon seattle has a digital theater, is anyone going up?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by oregonjedi, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oregonjedi

oregonjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    thought maybe it'd be fun to get a bunch to go up together...

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They do?!?!? Yeah I'd love to see it there... wow I'll have to look into that.

3. oregonjedi

oregonjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    yeah, its called the "cinerama" and the midnight show is already sold out, but there is a 4:00am show still available.
    I think it is the same theater where everybody is waiting in line already.

4. loganslay

loganslay Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I am so f'in there, when you guys gonna go?

5. DoubleBladedSaber

DoubleBladedSaber Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    Have any of you guys ever been to Cinerama? It's an INCREDIBLE experience! Paul Allen renovated it and re-opened it just in time for Episode I, and when I saw it there a few weeks after it opened I was utterly blown away. Massive screen, awesome (that's an understatement) sound system, reclining seats, the works. There literally isn't a bad seat in the house. And that was all before they installed a digital projector. :)

I remember there was a story on TFN a few weeks ago about Cinerama getting a digital projection system, but that it wasn't supposed to happen until a couple of weeks into Episode II's run. However, DLP.com claims it's in now. I think I'll call them on Monday to get a straight answer. I imagine I'll be going up there a few times over the summer to catch it there. :D

- Rob

6. loganslay

loganslay Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I'm thinking of going up there over the weekend... unless it's gonna be sold out... I'm prob gonna call ealier this week and see about preodering tickets for the weekend... I know if I can I'll have 3 people including myself going...

7. WinduWasher

WinduWasher Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I would be hot for that! Maybe we could even hook up with the Seattle SW Society folk. This is definitely something we should discuss at length on the 25th.

8. loganslay

loganslay Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    sounds good, plus it's cheaper for everyone to carpool... :)

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I am going up, for sure, with my dad, but probably later in the run. I mean, could be early June, could be end of June, early July, but I will for sure go up. No question about that. I will try to make it up earlier rather than later so that I am sure that I can get into the digital screening. I mean I have to see this film digitally once, at least, because I went to Indianapolis, Indiana and saw the 8 minutes of footage digital at the SW Celebration II.

Anyway, WHEN/IF you guys go up, PLEASE tell someone at the theater, i.e. a manager or someone else, that you came all the way from Portland to see this movie digitally. That will tell them it IS important to people that a film be shown in the highest quality presentation. I think we all need to make a point of letting these idiots at Regal here know that we want digital, but also applauding the theaters that already have digital. Instead of taking it as a granted, "Well it is a big city, it's Allen's theater, I'm not saying nothin'." Nah, that's not the best attitude, I think it would mean a lot to say to them how much extra time and work you put into seeing it digitally and that lets them know that the business you gave them was ONLY because of that digital projector and that is direct money they made that would not have been there otherwise. That sends a clear message: digital is worth the investment.

I think someone needs to have a digital auditorium, at the very least, in Portland. I think it would pay off, because Regal obviously doesn't care at all about the moviegoers. They let their THX theaters lapse totally, so we have none of them basically, or not any with Regal logos, and they just DO NOT CARE. They are a sleazy theater chain and it sickens me that they own all of our theaters now.

When it was ACT III theaters, we had all THX auditoriums, we had a company that really cared about the technology and about remaining state-of-the-art, and now we got these idiots who care only about money and the bottom line. They are the evil corporation. As much as I hate the stereotype of corporations being evil, this particular one is like the Empire. They are just an evil presence, lol, and if I had another theater near me of any other type I'd go there, but I don't. It's REGAL or nothing.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Don't worry, Bowen. Regal will not have a stranglehold on Portland forever. Tides are turning against them. Other theatre companies will notice how amazingly well Century 16 is doing. They will also be aware of Regal's money problems and like greedy Senators to the Republic, they will be drawn to Portland sooner or later.

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha, good point, good point.

I went to the Century 16 once, I was incredibly impressed. Granted I am used to REGAL, ROFL, so that is like going from dogfood to... well, put another way, if you went from dogfood to McDonalds you'd think McDonalds was awesome. No I still think Century is really great, but even if they weren't, I would still be impressed by virtue of the fact that Regal blows.

You know, I am really getting fed up with these people, I'm a movie critic (not like paid by a publication, but I'm an online critic, aspiring for more later, hehe) and I see every wide release, 61 showings of movies this year so far, and that means I have to sit through their stupid ads over and over again. Ok I can take one or two ads, but I went this last Friday to Unfaithful and saw FOUR ads before my movie. That is such BS. Four ads, 5 to 7 trailers, what is the deal here? I swear I cannot take that much longer. I am going to start walking in 10 minutes late intentionally.

If I have to see the trailer for Like Mike once more I'm going to scream, lol. Some trailers play very well over and over, others are just painful. I think the worst looking film ever is this "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." Oh. My. God. Someone shoot me before I have to review that. My mom and sister are both like, "Oh the book was so good!!!" Whatever. The movie looks so painfully bad I'd rather someone rape me for two hours than have to sit through that torture. I smell another zero star rating coming on (so far in 2002, Jason X, Crossroads, and The Sweetest Thing all got nailed with those).

Century has a REAL candy selection! Wow. And they have a lot of actual food too, so much better than Regal's stupid cinemas.

Actually, I would know what quality is, I was just joking because mostly I go to Regal cinemas, but...

I lived in LA for college for 4 months and the theater next to me was, at the time, the MOST expensive in the entire city -- The Bridge, Cinema De Lux. The director's auditorium is $13.50 per ticket at night, which I paid several times, and normal tickets are $10.50. It's a hella nice theater, though, with awesome stadium seating so good that you couldn't ever get someone's head in front of your viewing experience because the head of the chair itself extends far enough so you can lean back even if you are 6 feet tall and your head's still on the actual seat. Then the arm rests fold up and down, chairs are all leather, sound systems are top of the line, it's just a very good experience. It's true quality.

Then I've been to United Artists theaters, like the one in Indy during Celebration II (saw Spider-Man twice, hehe, I know I'm a traitor! But I'll see AOTC 25 times that much at least, hehe).

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I too am a huge proponent of the Century experience! They rock. They have had plans to build a theatre in the Beaverton area for several years now and it appears to be on hold right now.

Word has it that Regal is looking to sell off a few of their holdings in Portland as they are oversaturated. God can only hope that a company like Century takes them over.

13. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    I am there...for sure. We definitely should discuss this on 05/25! I just read, on TF.N front page, that Roger Ebert saw AOTC again in a digital theater this time and said it was a much better experience. Says it needs to be seen this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.