main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA "Seattle Star Wars Society"--we should think up a new name.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediYvette , Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003

Did somebody say change the banner.

Done.

Provided we decide this is it. I really can do what ever we settle on. No reason to make a snap decision.

More discussion with those involved would be nice.

2. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    Could we ask the NC FF group and see what they think of the (proposed) name?

3. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Hmm... I still say "Emerald Squadron" sounds the catchy-est... and while it does lend a certain rebel angle to the group, I could think of a hundred cool logo ideas :D

I understand why you guys would want to remain "neutral" on the topic of Light side/Dark side - Rebel/Empire... That's why the Spokane group went with a Cantina theme... :D

But as far as a name goes, I do think you want something that is catchy and would make a good domain name, and I would strongly suggest perhaps keeping the SSWS in the name...

I.E...

[color=white][hl=green]EMERALD SQUADRON[/hl][/color]
    Seattle Star Wars Society

[hr]

4. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    Here is a mere observation. The other two groups in WA are Tatooine/Cantina themed, MosEverett & the Spokantina.
    They used words from the SW universe to transform the name of their city into a FF title.

5. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    We're just cool like that ;)

6. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    :cool:

7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    So, did we agree on the Emerald City Star Wars Society?

I am fine with that, but just making sure. I want everyone happy with the name. :)
    And still want me to run it by the Emerald City Empire group?

8. micdavis

Mar 10, 2003
    No "We" didn't decide. Just me playing with the graphics.

I really do not think we should change just on the opinion of one person. I have been soliciting some others to chime in and discuss this.

I honestly feel using the SSWS would be a fine tribute to John Guth. From what I understand he did a lot for the fandom in this area and I don't think it should be dimissed. Plus it is the the easiest thing for people to remember, when recuriting in the field. If you can't get people to remember where to look when you meet them, you lose them.

My experinence with recruiting in San Diego, really drives this need for a simple easy to remember name. We're in the Seattle area and it's Star Wars.

Sorry to keep pushing for this but it's important. I really haven't heard the argument as to why NOT to use it. I really feel not using it is more of a slap in the face.

Also, not saying my opinion necessarily counts for anything. Just my thoughts.

9. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Ok, my argument for not using the SSWS (even though it's really good and we should use some aspect of it in some way):

We're a new group. A lot of us were very inactive or not around for the original group. We're trying to basically rebuild a fledgling FF and we need to start fresh. I do like the name SSWS, but we need to spruce it up. Something needs to be added or we need to wipe the board clean and start fresh. If we're going to be the AWESOME FF we all know we can be, we need to make it our own.

JediFarfy

10. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    *cough*
    *cough*

11. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    Lol! I like Emerald Squadron. It's my favorite, honestly. :D I don't think we need to stay neutral regarding Rebel/Empire/Jedi, etc.

JediFarfy

12. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Yes, I am also digging Emerald Squadron--and not just because the website domain is free.
    (PLEASE NO ONE TAKE IT!!)

And Emerald Squadron and Emerald City Squadron both run together really well. :)

13. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    Is it ok for me to say I like ECS too? [face_blush] :D

14. josheee

josheee Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks to micdavis for alerting us on the GT Boards to this thread.

I think having a unique place for Seattle Star Wars fans to congregate is a good idea. I know the Garrison Titan and Alpha Base boards don't exactly cover everyone's needs. I was talking with John and a little bit with Phil back before Episode 3 and C3 trying to stir some interest in bringing the site back up and bringing the group back, but it never really got off the ground.

Whether it's bringing back the old club, or creating a new one, I'd participate again in the community no matter what it was named. Personally, I'd prefer we keep the SSWS handle, but if that's not possible, a new name would be fine too.

A few new names I think might be cool:

Jet City Fanforce
    Jet City Star Wars Society
    Emerald City Star Wars Society
    Emerald City Fanforce
    And of course the generic: Seattle Fanforce

Josh Eash
    Garrison Titan Seattle

15. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    Just thought of: Seattle Spaceport

16. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    ooo... slick... Stick with her, she's smart ;)

17. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
  18. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Oooooh~! I like Seattle Spaceport as much as Emerald City Squadron. Now I am torn.

19. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Seattle Intergalactic Spaceport

20. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    Emerald City Spaceport?

Now I like both too! :oops:

JediFarfy

21. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Maybe we can include our Star(wars)bucks in the logo then. :p

I like them both too... I hope someone comes in liking one more then the other to help us decide. :p

22. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, wouldn't it be awsome if we did a logo that looked like the Starbucks logo, only with a SW character?! That would be awesome!! :D

To me at least... :p

JediFarfy

23. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    Ooooo I can see it now. A logo with the Space needle, spaceships, and a ferry boat.

24. micdavis

Mar 10, 2003

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but Spaceport could just as easily be a Star Trek club.

What we are really looking at to get this back on it's feet is marketing. Name recognition (not of past achievements but simple recall of who we are).

Just another opinion.

25. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    :eek:

I like it. :D

Oh... didn't think of that... dang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.