main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA "Seattle Star Wars Society"--we should think up a new name.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediYvette , Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, but then I can attack them and scream at them!! [face_devil]

Ok, maybe not. Poo.

JediFarfy

2. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeesh, I head into the city for a day of revelry and come back to a hundred new posts! You all've been busy. ;)

Emerald City Squadron sounds pretty nice, and we can just tack on the SSWS bit whenever we want to. And I agree with the Spaceport implying Trekkiness. It sounds cool, but I think I would think Star Trek before Star Wars. I don't know. This process is too difficult!

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Still think we can fit the space needle, space ships and the ferry boats with The Emerald City Squadron? Because I am seriously liking the idea. :)

4. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    We should have the Space Needle in the background at least. We don't want it too cluttered.

JediFarfy

5. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    ECS is still my fav.
    As for the logo, the Space Needle is our most distinguishing feature and easily recognizable.

6. josheee

josheee Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    If you're renaming the group, My 2 cents:

I don't like anything with "squadron" in it because:

A. It sounds like a Rebel thing.
    B. Squadrons sound small
    C. Sounds like a costuming group of some kind.

If the name is going to be a new one, I think it needs to convey that this is THE big fanforce in the northwest. Otherwise, doesn't it just get lost in a sea of smaller northwest fan groups?

7. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    Hmm, didn't take that into account (the size reference). I vote for Emerald City Star Wars Society.

JediFarfy

8. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    I don't know, I really don't think squadron says anything about the size... I look at it like it's our attempt to make it Star Wars-y without being obivous. If we mention its the official fanforce chapter, I don't see anything wrong with it.

9. Jedi_Master_Johns

Jedi_Master_Johns Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm not so keen on Emerald City, I think we should cover more area than that in our name. 'Course, I find SSWS to be the best, apparently thats being scrapped?

RJ

10. josheee

Aug 16, 2002

I'm not sure I understand the reasons behind that? Is it because of the domain name, or is someone here claiming that John Guth wanted the SSWS to close down permanently, never to return?

Last I talked with him about it, he didn't have time to redo the website right then, but he said that he did plan to redo it someday. He was hesitant to let me take over the site because he said he didn't want some interum thing (which is what I was offering until he could get it back up and running), he wanted a full re-launch.

If there's a personal issue I'm not aware of, that's fine...I'd like to hear about it, but I'm not sure why the name NEEDS to be changed otherwise.

11. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    The original SSWS logo did have the Space Needle, by the way. I've emailed it to the CR

12. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    According to Yvette, other (early) members of the SSWS feel we should find a new name, rather than use the old one. For more info, you'll have to PM her.

I feel we should choose a new name to, in a way, rechristen ourselves. We're new people, doing different things. We should really make this our own, rather than ride the backs of those who came first and are no longer even active.

JediFarfy

13. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Hmm... wow, a lot has happened here since I left work...

First, if you don't like the sound of Spaceport, Starport works equally as well, and is a bit more starwarsy.

And what's this about the Seattle group being the biggest Northwest Fan Force? =D= You might want to avoid stepping on toes :p The Spokane and the Everett groups are quite active and the Oregon and Idaho groups have the most posts of all the Northwest chapters... so, you know... so there :p

I don't know the specific history of the Seattle group, but from what I've read, it seems the majority of the current active members feel that a name/image change is in order (and I'm not just saying that because I want to help them design their logo and host their website :D)

14. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Yes, I have the t-shirt. It's freaking awesome. :D
    I hope we come up with something equally awesome. :)

---

As for the name, here are the most popular:
    --Emerald City Star Wars Society
    --Emerald City Squadron
    --Seattle Space Port or Star Port, whatever is less Trekky.

Any other 'must haves' that need to be on the list?
    Then I think we should vote. :)

And I know a lot of people want Seattle Star Wars Society very much. I am sure it can be the subtitle of any group we form as long as it is not too weird sounding. This way, we can keep the tribute but also respect the wishes of members that feel we shouldn't use the name. That is the only real comprimise I can think of right now.

15. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    Nice healthy debate going. Keep it up.

I am hoping others will chime in, when we think we've had enough someone can post a poll and we can vote.

Not too many around to vote but what the heck.

No big hurry really.

16. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    This is what I do while I am at work. :p

What if we go with either one of the Emerald City ones, then under that, have the Star Wars Society?

So we could (JUST suggestion, not saying this is better then any other :p ) do:
    Emerald City Squadron
    Seattle Star Wars Society

So, we get in our tribute to John and the group and we get to be new and special since we are a new (and special!) club.

And it would be fun to design something for. :D

In addition, both emeraldsquadron and seattlestarwarssociety are open domains.

17. josheee

Aug 16, 2002

I guess that's what I'm curious about. While I'm aware the two big local costuming groups do not nearly the entire former Seattle Star Wars Society make, just about all of our longtime members were SSWS at one point or another. I don't know anyone that ever objected to it coming back. I think it honors the folks who created it way back in the day.

I can understand if the newer folks want to create a new group (I'd still be happy to become a member) but if there are old members that don't want it to return, I'm just interested in hearing their reasons.

18. JediFarfy

Nov 2, 2000
    I like Yvette's idea, though when we do a logo, it should be just SSWS, or there's just too much stuff.

I personally don't see why we need to keep the old name at all. We're new people building a new group. I think we should try to be different. I always found it hard to connect to the old group and never participated. Some might have felt the same way and don't want to come back. But, if we're different, we could attract a new group of people.

JediFarfy

19. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I think you could include more than the acronym... you just have to be careful with it :D Also... I had an idea for your logo that could work, probably no matter what name you chose... I'll do my best to describe it...

Space needle made to look more like cloud city...
    Light green clouds in the background...
    Darker green-grey cloud cars flying around the needle...

just a rough concept that snuck up on me. :D

20. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    I don't think it would be too much stuff, if the font is smaller then the reset--less prominet and all.
    If I remember right, the SSWS logo also had a bit of writing.
    Maybe some concept art will help us figure it out.

And I have no problem with the SSWS being added to our name, or even just being The New Seattle Star Wars Society, though its a bit NJO sounding... :p

21. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    Almost sounds like "the new improved wondercolumn" over at hyperspace...
    I love the idea of a cloud city type logo! Of course... I have made a cloud city diorama.... So I am a bit biased. :p

22. josheee

Aug 16, 2002
    That's kind of what I figured, but I wanted to make sure there weren't some original members that had a problem with continuing to use the name. If so, I just wanted to hear why they felt it was a bad idea. Sounds like that's not the case, which is all I was curious about.

That's unfortunate, but it does help me to understand how that might drive the effort from the new folks to want to start a new club as opposed to bringing back the old one. Personally, I found the SSWS to be one of the most friendly groups out there and without them, I don't think I'd be nearly as involved with as many fellow local fans as I am today. From Collecting to costuming to conventions, I met them most of them through the SSWS.

I realize that towards the end, it was kind of a crash landing to what was a great club. Still, I look back on it fondly and I hope that in some form, a similar group can come back and be that same meeting place for new folks.

Whether it's SSWS again or a new club, as long as local Star Wars fans are still getting together, I think it'll be a cool thing. After all, a name is just a name. When all is said and done, it's still Star Wars fans in Seattle getting together to chat and hang out, right?

As far as logos go, the old one had the needle with some writing on it.

The old logo

[image=http://www.garrisontitan.com/ssws-logo.jpg]

The Cloud City Garrison (Oregon) logo uses Cloud City and some background clouds....

[image=http://www.501stcloudcitygarrison.com/images/main_03.jpg]

I can imagine a hybrid with ships flying around the needle, or the needle floating in the clouds. If one of the "Emerald City" names is chosen, I really like the idea of some greens in there somewhere. Could be really cool.

Who's the artist in the group these days?

23. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Actually, there was one member, which brought on this entire debate. However, I have yet to hear back from them. All I know was she felt taking the name would be a disservice to John, and that the SSWS was his club and it should stay that way. I have not heard back from her, however. There are other members who would love for us to keep the name, and I have yet to heard back from them as well. So I am not sure what the concensus from the orignial SSWS is about the new FanForce.
    If you are reading this: Please tell me, or better yet, post, so we can finally vote on our name. :D

We had a couple people show interest in designing the logo at our last FF meeting. A member of the Spokane FF also voluneteered to help us out. I think they are waiting until we have a name then work around that. :)

24. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Ok, now that the busy weekend is over... this is a rough comp of my initial idea

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/seattle/emeraldsquadron.jpg]

It's not nearly done yet, none of those colors are set in stone and I still have to draw the whole thing in illustrator... but you get the concept, what do you guys think, do you like this idea? :D

25. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    I am seriously loving it. :D

However, if we are a squadron, can we have X-Wings instead maybe? :D

[face_love] X-Wings [face_love] :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.