main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA "Seattle Star Wars Society"--we should think up a new name.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediYvette , Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Haha, I had considered that. I chose cloud cars because A) they match with the "cloud city" theme, and B) they're neutral... but it's always up for discussion, whatever you guys want! :D

2. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm also considering making it narrower... so that it doesn't look as much like a poster. :p

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I do REALLY love how the name(s) is (are) done. Don't change that. [face_plain]

:p

4. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I took inspiration from this poster...

[image=http://link-web.net/star_wars/003_STARWARCRP.jpg]

It's a really classic star wars look that I didn't like until recently, and I think it works well with the design, but could use some fine-tuning.

5. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    Looks good! Green sky... I like it! :)

6. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    :eek:

AWESOME.

JediFarfy

7. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    Personally I think this whole debate about the name is silly, people need to stop whining about "oh you can't use Seattle Star Wars Society name"....show me the copyright.. that name says what the group is period. If you really like that guy who passed away (with respect) I think changing the name is more of a DISRESPECT than anything else it's like the people who thought they were Jimmy Hendrix fans and then dug up his grave and stole his guitar, things should be left alone..but..It's up to everyone. Oh yeah, and using Garrison, Squadron, or Squad tend to sound a bit like the costuming groups (though admittedly I did like Emerald City Squadron). Anyways, I do not mean to be an @$$ or anything, just tired of hearing about the ol' SSWS name debate of can we or can't we. Last of all it good to see there is a growing number (for the most part) of members of this club.er...squadron...um..thing...group?..

-Paul

I'm an artist but unfortunately i do pencil (anime/american comicbook styles)and only messed with a little bit o Photoshop!

8. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    (Here's an outsiders perspective on the whole name thing) From everything I've seen on the internet, the Seattle Star Wars Society seemed to be a separate entity for the most part, not a costuming group, and not really a FanForce either. It seems that they used their own forum rather than the official FF forums. They seemed to exist outside of the pre-existing fan clubs structures. They did their own thing (which is not bad, but is also not a true FanForce)

That being said (those are my own vague observations), it seems like this newer group is more of a true FanForce and I think that they should find their own identity, by creating their own name, but at the same time, I think it is probably a good idea to include SSWS somewhere in the name as an homage to the old group, John, and everything they accomplished, as long as no old group members have a problem with it (I haven't heard any problems declared yet). That's my 2 credits...

[face_monkey]

9. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    That is completely my thoughts. :)
    I was hoping this way would make everyone one happy. And since so far its being voted in, I am thinking the majorities thoughts are this too. :)

10. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Ok, here's a quick update on that logo concept I've been working on... I've vectorized the clouds and tweaked the shape of the logo a bit, it's more tower shaped now. I also added a gradient to the lettering.

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/seattle/emeraldsquadron2.jpg]

11. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    I just want to say (also as really an outsider) starting another group will not do anything to try and get all the groups going one direction.

It just seems to me that there is a lot of duplication of effort going on, MosEverett, Garrison Titan, Alpha Base.

If the groups could just combine there could be less work for everyone, and more fun.

When I came up here that was my plan, I have not been able to put as much effort into it as I think it needs. But that's the way it goes.

Lastly. Using Squadron, bad idea, makes it sound Rebel and like a costuming group. Will not attract other fans.

ECS-SSWS, too many words, to much to remember, hard to recruit that way. Hard to fit on s shirt without it being too busy.

Just an opinion.

Good Luck.

12. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I think I have to respectfully disagree with everything you said. :D

I've never heard anyone say that all three Seattle groups should be working towards the same goal (and they shouldn't, they all have their own purposes and agendas, variety is the spice of life) And Mos Everett is doing their own thing, they like it that way, and I like them that way (Everett people rock!! :D) I don't see how there's any "duplication of effort" going on... yeah, everyone in the groups is a star wars fan, but honestly, every group has its own specialization:

Garrison Titan - Imperial costuming/charity work,
    Alpha Base - Rebel costuming/charity work,
    Mos Everett Cantina - Hang out and have fun with Star Wars Fans in Everett and be "laid back and fun"
    Seattle Fan Force - Hang out and have fun with Star Wars Fans in the Seattle area.

And I really don't think that all the groups combining would be easier or more fun, it'd just be more work trying to get everyone to make decisions and agree. Trust me on this one. Imperial fans don't want to do rebel things, and Rebel fans don't want to do imperial things, that's why there's two costuming groups.

I think if you came to the area to "unite" the star wars fan groups in the area, you're agenda is a bit misplaced, you should probably just try and help each where you can, because these groups are quite sufficient being separate entities. Perhaps it would be a better idea to create a Seattle Star Wars Fan Club Network... to share info with eachother and be in better touch, but not try and merge 4 fan clubs into one group.

In regards to using "Squadron"... it might not be the best idea, but it's certainly the popular one so far, and you can't argue with that. I think it might be cool as "The Cloud City Society", but I have no say in these matters :D

and If you haven't noticed, the current wording fits quite nicely on the logo concept that i've worked up so far... and would be more than easy to fit on any piece of apparel.

13. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003

Indeed there is nothing "wrong" with the multiple groups. I agree they have their own thing. More power to them.

Didn't mean to infer otherwise.

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Fair enough ;)

15. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Here's another quick update... The space needle is coming along nicely...

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/seattle/emeraldsquadron3.jpg]

16. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    One more update before I leave work. More done on the space needle... it's turning out better than I thought it would ;)

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/seattle/emeraldsquadron4.jpg]

I guess it's a good thing that it's a slow week at work...

17. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    It looks really cool. I can't wait to see how it looks with X-Wings. :D

And, as a note to all artists here, feel free to post your ideas too. :D

18. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Very nicely done.

19. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    1. Alpha Base belongs to Rebel Legion
    2. Garrison Titan belongs to the 501st
    can't really combine
    as I posted earlier "squadron" (even as Mic said) sounds like a costuming group.
    though I do like the name, it does sound pretty cool.
    as for the logo.. nice work! the only thing (as a fellow artist) that ill point out is the name should be stretched up a couple o notches (it looks to scrutched down).

and Finally , I hope to see/meet all of you down there at the Torch Light!!

-Paul

20. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    You know... I was kinda with the "Squadron sounds like a costuming group" crowd, but now that I've thought about it, I must disagree. I do so on the grounds that if I didn't know about the 501st, the code names, and all the jazz that goes around with them (so, a typical Star Wars fan who doesn't know about the fanforce), the "Squadron" addition wouldn't make me think of a costuming group first, or anything really. The reason I think we all believe it would come across as a costuming group is because we're so used to being in contact with the 501st and Rebel legions that the idea of using that word to reference them has just been ingrained in our minds.

Just some thoughts. :)

21. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't see how any name sounds like a costuming group, personally. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like a SW group.

I also agree that we can't combine groups. Many of us don't have cars, so where would our meetings be? It wouldn't work, we'd never meet, and it would be like the last group.

Logo looks great! Very cool! :D

JediFarfy

22. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Oh I wish I would have known about this debate sooner. I could have made a suggestion:

Rain-Cloud City

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/seattle/emeraldsquadron.jpg]

It could have worked.....

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.