main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC SeaWorld Webcams

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i swear i just saw a penguin lift up his/her tail and either projectile shoot ****, or fart, i could not tell it happen to fast. just thought this was too important to keep to myself.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That penguin cam is addictive. I have it bookmarked now.

3. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    The penguin cam is just giving me a "stay tuned--we'll be right back!" message. :( I can only assume that one or more of them **** on the camera.

The Shamu cam just has a black screen with NO VIDEO across the top.

Therefore, I am assuming that everyone in the thread just made it up.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Huh, no clue. Though I'm hopeful it means they're updating the Shamu cam.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's a recent development with the penguin cam then - it was working a few hours ago.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    In the meantime, here's a few photos of some cute baby seals that were stranded in the past few weeks and are currently being brought back to health at our animal care facility.

[image=http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/422904_10150641016926855_70105691854_9069522_1433745901_n.jpg]

[image=http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/418434_10150634947931855_70105691854_9044378_1261981250_n.jpg]

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh. Hahaha. Judging by all the tweets and FB statuses from my coworkers, SeaWorld is currently experiencing a power outage. :p

(And for those concerned about out thousands of poor fishies, all of our aquariums and pools have backup generators to help maintain the water temperature and drains during power outages.)

Which is actually pretty inconvenient since Animal Planet's shooting there today...

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    They picked a 'good' day then. I hope the penguins don't get hot...

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Any animal exhibit that is air/water temp controlled has a backup generator, so that includes the Penguin encounter and Wild Arctic as well. :)

We did an awesome Shamu show during that giant San Diego blackout. No music, no video, just the animals doing a bunch of cool behaviors.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's good. I hope the generators have plenty of fuel in case it's a long power outage.

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Power's already back, and both cameras are back up. :)

12. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    Okay, I believe you guys now. :p

Actually this is really cool. I think there's a show in progress because I'm seeing three orcas go back and forth in perfect synchronization each time.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    That's not the show pool; the camera is at our Shamu Backstage pool. The whales just do pod swims like that naturally. :)

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Was just watching the penguins on full screen when one walked by close to the cam and made me jump! lol

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I just caught a human on the penguin cam a couple of minutes ago. Someone in a pink shirt or jacket was cleaning the camera lens. She (I assume she due to the pink but I couldn't see a face) had a couple of curious penguins in attendance.

16. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I just saw someone feed the penguins ^-^

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If I come visit you in San Diego, can I visit the penguins up close? :)

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just saw another human a few minutes ago. Looked like he/she was using a hose to clean part of the rear of the enclosure. Couldn't tell If it was male/female as it was too far away. Had a pinkish shirt/jacket and yellow waterproof overalls on.

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Last night was at my daughter's and her, I and another friend of hers sat and watched the penguin cam for over an hour and a half. They really are funny as hell to watch.

She said she'd be watching all night long.

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    A couple times a day, they also pump in fresh snow. Had to believe, but 4000-6000 pounds of fresh snow gets pumped in daily.

http://www.insideseaworld.com/snow-blowing-penguins-seaworld-san-diego

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen the snow yet. However, I do have a question. I've been looking at the penguin cam during my morning because I get better internet speed. That would equate to 1-2am Pacific time. I've noticed that the lights in the enclosure are on and, judging by the condition of the camera lens, it is a live feed. (Lens has been 'decorated' by the birds). Are the lights usually on for 24 hours or is that for the camera?

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    After the park closes, the camera itself shuts off and what you're seeing is just a repeat of footage from the previous daytime hours.

We keep the lighting as close to Antarctic conditions as we can, actually. During the summer, we actually have it quite dim in there since that's Antarctic winter.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Ah OK. I knew the Shamu cam went into repeats overnight but I wasn't sure about the penguin cam.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Employees are spraying snow on the penguin cam..

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Ah, the old trick from Speed.