main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sebastian Shaw

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Vengence, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    When i first saw AOTC in theaters, i thought, 'What! That doesn't look like that guy who plays Anakin in ROTJ!'

I think for the AE, they should replace Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    No, it doesn't make sense. People don't look the same way when they're old as they did when they were young.

3. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    What Salty said. Look at your own pictures. Do you look the way you did five years ago? Ten years ago?

EDIT: Another thing. If you did have Hayden replace Sebastian Shaw, you're going to remove Shaw's credit for playing Vader in the film?

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    And does TPM Obi-wan look like ANH Obi-wan? Not really.

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Is Sebastian Shaw still alive? If he isn't, removing him from ROTJ would be a hell of an insult to his family.

6. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I'm sure Sebastian Shaw has passed away.

Let's not mess with the classic trilogy just to please fans of the prequels.

7. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    He died in 1994.

8. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    He died in 1994.

:(

I definitely stand by my opinion that it would be insulting to remove him from ROTJ.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- he shouldn't be treated like some replacable/upgradable special effect.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I completely agree.

11. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    I second the motion of not replacing Shaw.

Now the Chimp Emperor in ESB is another matter entirely. ;)

12. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Of course. McDiarmid is a must for TESB.

But Shaw must stay.

13. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Well, I don't mind the idea of putting Hayden in (they can make him look older. They made Ian McDiramid look older 20 years ago than what he looks now). BUT I agree that it would kind of be insulting to edit Shaw out. The only issue I have with Shaw is that he was much older than we now know Vader was supposed to be ( I think he's supposed to be mid-40's by the end of RotJ). But, much as I love Hayden, I think Shaw should stay.

14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    They could give Shaw a Christensen-style chin :)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The only issue I have with Shaw is that he was much older than we now know Vader was supposed to be<<

That's justa side result of Lucas switching timelines between ROTJ and TPM- when they filmed ROTJ, Vader/Anakin was supposed to be in his late 60's.

16. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    "Once you start down the dark path, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

For some strange reason, I get the impression that the dark side tends to expediated the aging process, wearing out the darksider before their time - consuming them, if you will.

Shaw's being "too old" is not a problem in the slightest if you ask me.

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Me either. It worked Palpy over real good. That's why he's so old looking in ROTJ. The Dark Side was slowly eating away at him.

18. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    I've never liked S. Shaw as Vader. He looked and sounded like he should be sitting in a parlor, wearing a smoking jacket, smoking a pipe with some of his chums discussing the days events.

His look never "fit the part."

All your reasons for not editing him out may be valid but I still think Lucas, way back when, could of made a better choice when casting the part.

Just my opinion.

19. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That may be true but what's done is done.

20. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I think that for the archival editions, they should keep Shaw as Vader unmasked, since the Dark Side causes premature aging, however Shaw was in his 70s in ROTJ, while Anakin was only in his 40s when he died. I think that Hayden should play Anakin's spirit.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I get the impression that the dark side tends to expediated the aging process, wearing out the darksider before their time - consuming them, if you will.

I've always been bothered by this. Anakin didn't have his scars as a ghost, yet he was prematurely aged because of his use of the dark side and his stressful life? He should have either looked precisely the way he did when he died or precisely the way his "spirit" was supposed to look having never encountered the dark side - not something inbetween.

22. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Uh... (tries to think of something intelligent and logical to add... and fails miserably)... maybe it's the will of the Force?

(ducks and covers)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>however Shaw was in his 70s in ROTJ, while Anakin was only in his 40s when he died. I think that Hayden should play Anakin's spirit.<<

The problem is Obi-wan and Yoda's spirits look as they were when they died (ie: old), so why would ANakin suddenly revert two decades in appearance?

>>Anakin didn't have his scars as a ghost, yet he was prematurely aged because of his use of the dark side and his stressful life? He should have either looked precisely the way he did when he died or precisely the way his "spirit" was supposed to look having never encountered the dark side - not something inbetween.<<

I don't think he looked younger- he looked the same age as he did during his death scene, just with hair and no scars.

Still, the use of the darkside makes the most sense to explain away the Lucas timeline switcher, so I'd go with that.

24. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You also have to remember Lucas wanted a happy ending. It wouldn't make sense to have the bald and scarred Anakin at the end.

25. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, yes, but he Shaw doesn't look AT ALL OR EVEN REMOTELY like Hayden. At least i looked remotely like i do now. Actually, ten years ago, i looked pretty much the same as i do now, just grayer hair, and a few wrinkles here and there, but hey! :)

Anyway, they should replace Shaw with Christensen, IMO, in the ghost scene as well as the taking off mask scene.

Also, i wouldn't be mad if George decides to add Padme to ROTJ along side Anakin in the ghost scene at the end. It's not an essential for me, but it would be nice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.