main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Second Annual Picnic Planning Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Terry's internet is down and he just wanted me to pass along that he won't be able to get to the picnic until 1pm (he doesn't get off work until 12:30).

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I think that Mrs. Darth Agony said at Kennywood that they have a grill they could bring . . .

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Does the pavilion have a power outlet? Does anyone have a small tv with an antanea? If so we could put on the Stiller game.

4. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Would it be at all possible for someone of the Penn Hillsy persuasion (who plans on attending both events) to hook me up with a ride to the picnic/Kung Fu on Saturday?

My car has been acting exceedingly funky, so I'm going to be taking it into the shop come Monday, and I'm afraid to make longer distance trips in fear that something abysmal will happen.

I'd be more than happy to offer up bucks for gas/time/trouble/whatever.

If nobody wants to, it's not a big deal; I'm going to make the trip anyway. Just figured I'd ask for the sake of my mental health... :)

Stress stinks,
    Yours Truly

5. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Alright... it's time for me to do my thing, again. ;)

DIRECTIONS!

Considering the picnic is tommorow, I don't think that it's un-reasonable for me to request them, again. The picnic is at the same place that it was last year, right? Does anyone still have directions from back then?

6. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    Let's have someone who knows, post the pavillion number in south park.

Do we have a grill coming for sure? Let's firm that up too. Otherwise the food is gonna be kinda undercooked.

7. Oreckels_Mom

Oreckels_Mom Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    We can bring a small gas grill for sure. I think it's about 16" in diameter so we'll have to cook in shifts but it's better than nuttin. We'll bring a spatula or two too.

Don't panic if we're not there till noon or so (of course, it will be a lot later if there are no directions).

8. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    DIRECTIONS

The pavillion name is Baron.

Take the main road Corrigan Drive into the park.

Turn onto Maple Spring Drive (near tennis courts0

About 100 yards up the road is Baron (on left). Park across the road.

There is a playground for the kiddies near where we park and reall bathrooms, not portapotties :)

The pavillion is reserved for 11AM, but people can arrive whenever. Be aware however, that South Park High School is having a big fundraiser festival that same day, so there may be alot of traffic.

Map of South Park Baron is in E-4

9. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Here is a link to some info about the park with driving directions to the park area.

South park

Also, if greencat's link doesn't work just copy and paste the following text for the map of South Park:
    http://www.geocities.com/wpafooty/images/map.pdf

10. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I'm sorry to announce to the others entering the gaming tournaments, but I think I am going to be able to make it.

What else needs to be brought? Looks like everything is taken.

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I think we might need cups still. And since the 66's aren't coming if you want to bring a side like potato salad or pasta salad or macaronni salad that would be good.

Besides the stuff i signed up for,I'm going to bring some cole slaw. I also picked up some baby wipes (good for cleaning up hands) and some utensils. I wasn't sure if anyone was bringing condiments so I also got some ketchup, mustard and pickles. I also will bring some tomatoes & lettuce for the burgers and I picked up some cooking utensiles.

I forgot cheese, though, so maybe someone could pick up some american cheese slices for the burgers?

Also is anyone bringing a volleyball set? I think that the 66's were also bringing that. Anyone have a frisbie??

Looking forward to kicking butt and claiming the tourney trophy :D

Oh, i'm also going to bring that box of books (various fiction titles) for a 'clearance sale' of 50 cents for paperbacks and $1 for hardbacks and tapes. Anything left at the end of the day will end up at Salvation Army.

12. DaRtHCoLeRa

DaRtHCoLeRa Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    Will the padawagon be riding again? because I need a ride if it's ok

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I might be running late so maybe someone else should bring cups if you read this. I'll get some potatoe salad on the way.

14. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    ARGH!!!!!!!! I completely forgot about the picnic. DUH!!!!!

Oh well, I probably wouldn't have been able to find it anyways :(

*Goes and sits in the DUH corner*

15. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Well, there was lots of fun to be had.

I brought along some foam "noodles" (the kinds that are used in swimming pools) and dowels rods. After getting help from Chad to cut these in half and insert the rods into the noodles, viola, instant "safe" sabers. Yes, that's the "safe" part I have been refering to. A big duel erupted shortly thereafter with many beating up on Josh. But he held his own and took it in stride.

I had found new toys Friday night and brought some of them to show. They were the KB exclusive T.I.E. Fighter, and Target exclusive Geonosian war room and Jedi Council Screen scenes.

I also hosted a SW misic trivia game. I got this idea directly from Bob over at the collecting group. Brendom won that contest (and by a great margin, I must say) Prize: Clonetrooper Pilot

I also designed an alternate Epic Duels board that was displyed (we didn't have time to play on it because...

The Epic Duels tourney was great but very long...
    Fluke ended up the winner and has bragging rights til the next tourney. I'll predict early that GreenCat will win that one, but we'll see.

Anyway, the winners round started off in some light but ended in darkness with flashlights having to be brought out.

While that was going on, the rest of us played "Sabaac", the SW poker game. I had been designing this over the past couple of months as I had time during work. Still some kinks to work out but we seemed to have fun. After the E.D. tourney was over, (somewhere around 9:30 pm) we all decided to go to Eat and Park and play more Sabaac there (in the light). Chris, Chad, and Brian left around 11pm to go to see "Enter the Dragon" at the Oaks and Fluke, Zerocool, myself and Emily stayed and B.S.ed until 1:30 am.

Only niche was Terry ended up not making it to the picnic. We did have the vote for VP but without Terry there to give any proxy votes that may have been submitted it still is undecided.
    Hope he is okay, as Greencat and I both called him and couldn't get ahold of him.

Well, anyway, I think everyone who showed up is in agreement that the 2nd annual SWAP picnic was a success. OOH yeah, I forgot, we had an appearance by Sponge Bob-gin, courtesy of Brendon from the previous weeks expoilts at Kennywood.

Ooh Ooh, I also forgot, Chad fell in the mud.

I felt bad for him and then for Chris as she would have to take him home in her car like that. Luckily he had another set of shorts under the one he slipped in, that didn't get dirty.

Well, that's about as full of a report that I can think of.

16. 1Bobafett14

1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    Sounds like fun, thanks for the "props" on the SW music game. Funny, both of us had a person who won by a huge margin. Seems like the people who like SW music...REALLY like SW music.

I may go back to a team/elimination style game for my meeting on the 23rd, similar to the social.

If you have any pics, post em, always like looking at pics. By the way Sal, there is a pic of you over at www.pswcs.com click on EVENTS and page down and click on "summer social pics"

17. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    The picnic was indeed an extremely fun day. Sal has certainly given you the highlights.

The 'safe' noodle lightsabers were a blast to play with and hopefully they will make more appearances at future meetings.

Food. Thanks to Orekal and his Mom for hauling the grill up the hill to the pavillion. lots of food but (until Em made a supply run late in the evening) no eating utensils. So we ate everything with our fingers or used potato chips as scoops.

The cake -- Em & Sal brought a very cool looking R2-D2 cake (that was delicious). Lots of details!

Mud. to get to the water pump you had to wade through the River SWAP. Unfortunately, Darthdahc lost his balance . . .

Sabacc. The guys had lots of fun test playing Sal's Sabacc game! The deck he made was something!

Epic Duels. Wow! it was a very very close tournyment and almost everyone was still in the running when we went into the third game of the 'elimation' round. The 'championship' game between Fluke and myself lasted more than an hour! It was a fantastic game with us chasing each other across the board and coming down to each of us only having a few hit points left, when Fluke's Emperor finally destroyed my Luke. A very well played game! Can't wait for the rematch! Fluke went home with both the first and second place trophy. The first so that he could have bragging rights until the next tourny, the second so he could 'put his mark' on the trophy for his second place win in the original game tourny.

After dark, we packed up everything and went to Eat-n-Park where the guys continued their sabacc game, until some of us departed to see "Enter the Dragon" at the Oakes. A very funny Bruce Lee flick :)

All in all just a great day!

18. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I had a great time at the picnic. Thanks to Sal and everyone else for making it a fun event!

19. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    A little bit of bad news.

The reason Terry didn't make it to the picnic is that he was in an accident last night.

He's okay, but had to stay the night in the Hospital. He's just sore today, but unfortunately his car is totaled.

Wish him our best as he recovers.

20. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    The picnic sure sounds like it was loads of fun. Wish I hadn't missed it. Some day I really hope to make it to one of these meetings and I wanna learn sabaac!

Sorry to hear about Terry, I hope he is ok and he is in my thoughts. If anyone talks to him, give him my best.

Tina

21. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Sounds like the picnic was fun! I would have been there, but unfortunately poor Tina and I were on a nice relaxing vacation in the thriving metropolis of Ohio :) In any case, there had better be pictures (And know there are...) I'm glad you guys had a good time! And I hope Terry's ok too!

22. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    The picnic was a great time. I have to say I suprised myself by placing 4th in the ED tournament even though it was my third time playing the game. Now I'm gonna have to go get the game and practice [face_mischief]
    But on a more serious note, I'm sorry to hear about Terry's accident, and hope that he has a speady recovery. Hope ya start feeling better soon man.

23. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I forgot to say that tournament finale was one for the ages. The combinataion of the Emperor's constant healing abilities and Luke and Leia's not too powerful attacks lead to a very very very slow accumulation of hit point damage.

Get better soon Terry!

24. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Sorry to hear about the accident, Terry! Hope you are feeling better soon and that's just terrible about your car being totaled :(

25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Hi everyone! I'm still a little banged up from the accident, but I feel alot better today. For everyone that left me voicemails after my voicemailbox got filled up I'm sorry I didn't get them. I have a nice bruise on my forehead and some minor cuts, other than that nothing serious thank god.

On the bright side my car is getting fixed and I should have it back on friday.

As for the election, I recieved 3 proxy votes. All 3 votes were for Brian (Ben_Ethus).

I hope you guys took a ton of pictures (I'm sure you did) and can't wait to see them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.