main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Second Annual Winter Holiday Fic-gift Exchange Challenge!! ~ Stats and Questions from mav~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    Here's mine:

Dance, Dance Gamorrean for MsLanna

She requested:
    1) Clones
    2) Dancing
    3) Humor

I rarely write humor, and I've never written about the clones, so I kind of had a hard time with this one. Plus I tend to hang out in Before more than any other era, so it was definitely interesting. I finished it though with two hours to spare! And I did enjoy writing most of it. :)

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you all for a another wonderful fic-gift exchange! [:D]

But I want to give a very special thank you to Mira_Jade who not only completed the fic-gift assigned to her but she also completed a fic for someone who wasn't able to finish theirs. Thanks so much Mira! [:D] =D==D=

I'd also like to thank the person (and I'm not going to embarrass anyone and say who, you know who you are ;) ) who realized they were not going to be able to finish theirs and PMed me. I know the person who received a fic-gift because you did thanks you as well! [:D]

~ If you still have not completed your fic-gift and are planning to do so, please PM your person and let them know. If you don't get a PM and your fic has not been completed feel free to post it here and maybe someone will pick it up!

Statistics:
    Though Lanna could probably give us some more detail! :)

2008: 28 out of 32 (87.5 %) people completed their fic-gifts on time! =D=

But unfortunately that isn't as good as last year. :(

2007: 27/30 (90%) completed their fics on time.

So we didn't do as well as last year, but still pretty good, I think!

Questions:
    Just a few questions so I can improve for next year.

1. Was the time to sign up/ complete fic adequate?
    2. Was the '3 things you want, 1 you don't and 3 characters' too many, not enough or just right?
    3. If you received a reminder PM was it helpful or just annoying?
    4. If you had any problems were they solved to your liking and quickly enough?
    5. Anything else I could do to make this better next year?

Thanks again, everyone! I had a blast and I hope you did as well! [:D]

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd say yes.

2. Was the '3 things you want, 1 you don't and 3 characters' too many, not enough or just right?
    I'da almost say it was too limiting, for lack of a better term.
    Not applicable.

No problems.
    *Shrugs* Make it a little more open, restriction-wise? Not sure how to word it...

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Hmm, stats.
    If I take the story of Alexis that is still to come into consideration there's 29 stories written total.
    24 will have written and received.
    4 wrote a story but didn't get one
    5 received a story and posted none.

I think the numbers are a bit mixed because Mira_Jade wrote two stories.[face_thinking]

Yes.

Since you can decide to have less, I'd say yes.

Didn't get one.

Had no problems. :D

Death Penalty for those who don't post.[face_devil]
    Or something.

5. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Yes! :D
    Just right :)
    Helpful
    Definitely! Thank you!! :)
    I don't think so- it's pretty great as it is! [face_dancing] Thanks for such a wonderful challenge, mav!![:D]

6. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003

Yes.

Really, it depends on what the asker has asked for. Mine was really tough for me--it's why I was posting the day before the deadline. Maybe it should be two things you want and one you don't.

Sort of both, really. It was nice that I was reminded (and therefore, knew that someone was paying attention), but since I hadn't forgotten, it was like more of a "Aw, blast, I gotta hurry on this!"

Had no problems.

I liked. It's my third year that I've done this, and it's been fun each time. So, no suggestions in particular.

7. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    The time was very adequate for me.

Maybe shorten the amount of things that happen. With my gift, I had the first two down in the story but then there was the third item. I had to make it an AU story for that to fit.

N/A

I did have a question on my fic gift and it was answered that day, so good job on the quickness.

Can't think of anything now.

8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Liked the run-down of the stats. :)

I thought it was...

I think I had a little bit of a problem with the one thing not wanted, but other than that it was just right. The problem I had, which I couldn't ask about, nor did it occur to me to ask, was which kind of angst was meant.

Doesn't apply...

Major problem was solved right off the bat by Mav without my asking her to solve anything, so yes on that one.

Can't think of anything right now by way of improvements...

Edits: errors... fixed 'em.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    sure
    Just right

doesn't apply
    same here
    No and it was fun and a great pleasure to do

10. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Yes, it was for me.

Just right IMO. Enough to know what kind of story the recipient wanted so it hopefully didn't go wrong, but also still leaving a lot of freedom

Not relevant

Oh yes! I panicked at first about the assignment and I can only say 'thank you very much' for the swift help and ideas! [:D]

This was my first time paricipating and I liked it the way it was.

:( I just would have liked to have received 'my' story, but since there was no pm or nothing, I guess I better resign myself to not getting one.

But if anyone could bring her/himself to write a marvellous Qui-Gon story, not as a support character but the main one, I'll be there enjoying every bit of it!

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Here is my belated fic-gift for Rau_Fang who wanted: 1) clubbing (either nightclubbing or blunt trauma); 2) an unusual contest with an unusual prize; and 3) rivalry. The characters: Han, Lando &/or Chewbacca. Not wanted: Jedi. I hope this was worth your wait. I had fun writing it. :D A Boys' Night Out

1. Was the time to sign up/ complete fic adequate? More than adequate :D

2. Was the '3 things you want, 1 you don't and 3 characters' too many, not enough or just right? I'd say it was fine.

3. If you received a reminder PM was it helpful or just annoying? It was polite. :)

4. If you had any problems were they solved to your liking and quickly enough? N/A

5. Anything else I could do to make this better next year? You did a great job. I wouldn't change a thing.

12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007

Lol, my life is so crazy nothing is adequate anymore! But yes, there was enough time for me to carve out a space from evil DRL to write it!

I liked that--it gave me the space to be more specific in what I wanted, and also I'm not one of those inventive free spirits--I like people telling me in GREAT detail what they want. It helps the "oh no, what if they don't like it just after I hit the post" button madness. ;)

It was a LIFESAVER!

No problems, it all went perfectly. You coulnd't have done better!

I LOVED it! I think you were fantastic, it was fantastic, the stories were fantastic, and it was a BLAST!!!

Huggles!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

13. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004

Very adequate in my opinion on both counts.

Just right I think, it doesn't really limit the amount of characters you can add or what you could do with the story very much IMHO.

N/A

No problems here, everything ran very smoothly both with my recived gift and given gift.

Maybe, just in case, we extend the cut off date for giftfic submissions by a couple of days, <I.E some people may be still on vacation somewhere or very busy in the holiday seasons.>

14. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008

Yes, it was plenty.

I think it was just right. It's not enough to be too overwhelming, but it also gives the fic some decent boundaries.

Helpful. I hadn't forgotten, but I can always use reminders.

No problems at all. :)

Not that I can think of. It was a fun challenge!

15. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005

Yep

I think a lot of it depends on the person creating the requirements... but I think it was just right. I was happy with mine :p

Reminders are grand.

Everything was a-ok.

This challenge was bomb.com, thanks a lot mav!

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

You betcha. ;)

Just perfect. :)

Can't say, but I imagine it was helpful. :)

No problems to think of. Which is a good thing. ;)

I'd say it's just right. :D

~MJ @};-

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Since Seremela didn't get hers, I wrote one for her instead :) A Little Light

I would like: Qui-Gon-hurt/torture, Jedi action (good old Force use), some interesting aliens

I don't want: Obi-hurt/torture; death of a main character

Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn and the rest is free, although I always like Obi-Wan and Dooku around

For the record, I loved this challenge and I'm going to sign up next year :) I thought the number of wants and don't wants was good.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you all for your input, I have taken it to heart and will use it to improve for next year! :D

I have updated the list of the fics on the first page, so they should all be there. If you would like to go and read some of them again (or come awards time ;) there were some very good ones!) without finding this thread, I've also put them in the Master Challenge Index which can be found as a sticky at the top of resource. :)

New Stats: Everyone except one person has received their fics, and that author has assured me that they are working on it. So hopefully soon, everyone will get theirs! YAY! [face_dancing]

I'd like to thank NYCitygurl for writing an unwritten fic, as well as C1-J2 for volunteering to do so! [:D] You gals are awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.