Saga Second Chances - Obi-Wan, Anakin, post-TPM POST 8-12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CalaisKenobi, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Disclaimer: Sue me... really. I'm sure an ounce of moldy cheese, a few pairs of jeans and a computer will really add something to the Lucas Empire.

Summary: A disconcerting discovery leads Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Anakin Skywalker on a wild hunt throughout the galaxy, as they try to solve the mystery before their own time runs out.

2. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you ever wonder what exactly happens when you die? I know I did. I used to think about it... not constantly, or anything like that, but when I?d hear stories of war, and death and pain on the evening reports. I didn?t really have much exposure to it or anything, it wasn?t like my little back-water planet ever had much going on. Death wasn?t unknown, since everyone dies of course, but it wasn?t a common occurrence. In fact, the last time someone died on Sabal, our government cancelled work and school for almost two cycles.

Death always seemed like something that happened to somebody else, somewhere else. It wasn?t something that really affected me or mine. And that?s how it was on Sabal? until, of course, the day I died.

(((((((((((((((((((----------)))))))))))))))))))
    ?Master, surely we can find someone else to do this?? Anakin questioned as he grimaced at the pile before the two Jedi.

?Ani, you knew that becoming a Jedi wasn?t going to be all adventure and heroism?? Obi-Wan began, barely keeping his grin in check.

?I know, Master!? the apprentice huffed, ?But I don?t recall you ever mentioning that Jedi were required to take out the trash!?

?As a Jedi, our duty is to serve,? Obi-Wan stated solemnly, as he folded his hands in front of him, tucking them into the sleeves of his robe. His decorum lasted only until he could no longer conceal his amusement at the incredulous expression on his Padawan?s face. Smiling widely, the Master released his hands and gently chuffed Anakin?s hair. ?I hated doing this as much as you do,? he declared. Pausing as if in thought, he raised an eyebrow. ?In fact, I still hate it as much as you do!?

?So maybe we can find someone else to do it?? Anakin asked hopefully, as he reached up a hand to straighten his Padawan braid. Although it was barely long enough to touch the collar of his shirt, he was immensely proud of it.

?I?m afraid not, Padawan,? Obi-Wan replied. ?Unfortunately, that little incident on Kelos didn?t quite escape the Council?s notice. Until they either forget, which is unlikely, or another mission comes up that only you and I can handle, which is also highly unlikely, we?re stuck on Temple duty.?

?But surely that little mistake with the ?Sayat? instead of ?Sabat? doesn?t deserve this as punishment!? Anakin whined as he looked at the great mass of dripping, stinking bags and boxes.

?Telling the Prime Minister to ?Go to? ahem? instead of ?Go in peace? was a rather large error my young apprentice,? the Master answered as he began to try to sort through the pile, sorting the boxes from the bags.

?It wasn?t like I meant it,? the Padawan grumbled as he, too, began to sort the trash. ?Or at least didn?t mean to say it aloud,? he continued under his breath.

?Actually, Ani,? Obi-Wan began as he heaved one of the bags to the side, ?don?t ever repeat this? but if it were solely up to me, I?m not sure I could have punished you for saying aloud the very thoughts of my own mind.?

?Ahh? so that?s why you?re on ?Temple duty? with me??

?Well, that and I happened to get on the bad side of one of the Councilors,? the Master puffed as he heaved a few more of the heavy bags aside.

?Aren?t you always on the bad side of at least one Councilor?? Anakin questioned as he grimaced and wiped an unidentifiable, gooey, substance off of his hand onto his pant leg.

?I?ll have you know, before I was Qui-Gon?s apprentice, I never had a problem with any of the members of the Council!?

?I?m sure that most ten year olds find them selves in trouble with the Council on a regular basis,? Anakin commented under his breath. A bit louder, he spoke again. ?And which Councilor did you manage to upset this time Master??

Pausing to remove his robe and utility belt, as both kept getting caught up on the stickier bags, Obi-Wan sighed. ?It wasn?t like Mace hadn?t heard the comments about his new lightsaber before. I just happened to be the unfortunate one who happened to mention it when he was having a rather bad day.?

?And you let me think I was
  3. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

Welcome back to the boards, CK! Wonderful start to this story--It's plain to see you haven't lost your masterful touch in the time you've been away :)

- Dead body of a girl, eh? [face_thinking] Intriguing start!
  4. PresidentKang Jedi Knight

star 1
    whoohoo. I loved the first-person narration intro, really draws you in with the culture's persepctive on death. I always like the trick of having fun conversation interrupted by something horrible. an oldie, sure, but a goodie. good to see you're doing post TPM, it'll be nice to have Anakin and Obi-Wan not to be at each other's throats the entire time for a change.
  5. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh that was funny with the trash detail! hehehehe Poor Obi ;) let it slip did he? *snrk* Now for this dead body! :eek: That ain't something ya see every day at the Temple!!

Great work!
  6. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I can't wait for more! Great start!
  7. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    I liked how you had things change from serious to amusing, back to serious again. The transition was smooth. :cool: And as always, you write Obi-Wan and Anakin wonderfully. :D I can't wait to see where you take this. [face_thinking]
  8. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Welcome back CK. You're new story is a welcome addition :)
  9. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    ?Very serious this is? Yoda harrumphed, ?yes, very serious indeed.?

?Should we inform the Coruscanti police?? Master Mace Windu asked, leaning forward on the small stool he was perched upon. ?This girl was clearly not a Jedi.?

?But in the Jedi Temple she was,? Yoda answered. ?Under our jurisdiction the Temple proper is.?

?Masters, if I may,? Obi-Wan interrupted, ?Perhaps we should consider the more serious implications of this? issue.?

?You question whether a Jedi was involved,? Master Yoda declared as he studied the younger Master. Although there were chairs available in Yoda?s apartment that would suit the many varied species that could visit, Obi-Wan had declined the offer of a seat.

?I do,? Obi-Wan replied plainly. ?Either a Jedi, or another Temple worker had to have been involved.?

?You do not have enough facts to make such an assumption,? Master Windu argued. ?Although it is clearly suspicious that the girl?s body was found within the Temple, that area is not nearly as secure as the rest of the complex. Anyone could have entered through the old docking port beside the trash incinerator and we would never have known. Not even the camera system records that area.?

Running a hand agitatedly through his hair, Obi-Wan paused to release a deep breath before answering. ?My? assumptions? are based on more than just the material evidence.? Turning to face the other Master, Obi-Wan switched to a less formal tone of voice. Instead of addressing two Senior Jedi and Councilors, he was addressing two of his former Master?s best friends. ?You weren?t there Mace. You didn?t feel what Anakin and I did. The intent- it seemed to have left a mark on the area. I know that a Force-user was involved, even if the trace was gone before you or Yoda arrived.?

Although Obi-Wan and Anakin had been quick to notify the Council, it had still taken Mace and Yoda almost an hour to reach them at the lower levels. By the time the two had arrived, the malevolent presence that had seemed to hover over the area was gone.

?Know of this matter, only Master Windu and I do,? Yoda declared. ?Left the Council chambers, we did, before receiving your message.?

Dropping his own formal demeanor as well, Mace continued the message Yoda was clearly trying to impart. ?Only the four of us know about this matter. If your suspicions are correct, however, there is at least one other in this temple that has knowledge of it. Perhaps you and Anakin would be willing to investigate this matter??

?You want my Padawan and me to take on an internal investigation, without the notice or approval of the rest of the Council?? the younger Master asked, flabbergasted. Master Windu was well known for his strict adherence to regulations and guidelines. It has been one of the regular points of contention between Qui-Gon and his old friend.

?Do what you think is right, you must,? Master Yoda answered in Mace?s stead. ?Know, however, that support you we do.?

Nodding his head, and offering a quick bow, as speech seemed to be currently beyond him, Obi-Wan turned and exited Yoda?s private apartments. Shaking his head briefly, as if to clear his head, the Master pivoted on his heel and began the walk to the lifts with haste. Although the meeting had been brief, after what they had discovered in the lower levels of the Temple he wasn?t comfortable leaving his Padawan alone any longer than was absolutely necessary.

There?s not much to do when you?re dead. I figured that out right quick. It?s amazing how much I took things for granted. Eating, sleeping, playing with my brothers and sisters, watching the local Cazo team, swimming? breathing. Now, I have all the time I used to complain that I didn?t have, and nothing to do. Somehow that?s just not fair. Of course, Ma always said life isn?t fair. I guess that extends to death too.

For awhile I just kind of wondered and watched. Nothing was really happening, but it was kind of interesting to see people when they thoug
  10. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    LadyPadme Thank you! It is good to be back!

PresidentKang It's funny you should mention the "Obi/Ani not fighting" theme. When I first joined the boards, there was a huge argument between myself and some others about that idea. I actually supported the idea that Ani was an evil little sprog, even while I was writing the Price of Sacrifice, which clearly shows a closer relationship between the two. It's just kind of ironic to have the same thoughts come up now! Thanks for the blast from the past ;)

Kynstar Thank you! The trash... well let's just say I was speaking from personal experience that day! Blech!

VaderLVR64 Thanks!

obaona Thank you as well. Now, we need to talk again soon! What's going on in your life? IM me?

PadawanKitara Thanks! I miss you! I remember you were one of the first posters I ever had... and the first time I "Appeared" on the thread was to offer you aspirin (?) on a silver platter. :)
  11. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll take another asprin now if you're offering. I hate being laid up. But my dog loves it. He thinks I was placed on this planet to scratch him all day- I know I'm just laying around feeling icky, but why do I have to play with him on top of my bed 7 hrs a day?

Is the dead girl our narrator? :cool:
  12. Jedikma Force Ghost

star 4
    I just found this story. It is terrific! I hope you have another post soon! :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.