main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Second Meeting!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Okay, we now need to start thinking about a date, time, and place for our second meeting. Mad props go out to Casey "ExFilms" for providing the first location.

I had spoken with WOTC earlier and they said it was okay if we used their gaming tables, however we would be limited to 15 people. Since 13 showed up at the first meeting, I know we will go over 15 for the second meeting, so WOTC is out I guess.

My house would be open to a meeting later in the month. I'm just moving out of my apartment this weekend. My new house is big enough to accomodate large groups of people, but I live very far south from the rest of you. We just bought a new home off of Palm Avenue. The housing development is called "Ocean View Hills." If you don't mind the commute, or can arrange to carpool with each other, my house is availabe. I think it would be good to take turns hosting meetings.

Any ideas on other locations? How soon do you want the second meeting to be?

2. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    ok mara you got yourself a date!

meet me at the plank on wed.. 10 o clock. see ya there ;)

3. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I'll go anywhere we decide, north or south. And I wouldn't mind picking somebody up, although my car is only a 2-seater.

4. fx88

fx88 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    Yeah, we need another meeting fast! This Episode 2 hoopla is getting to me, and I just wanna jump in!!

5. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    Anywhere is good I guess, but North County would be great so my ride won't have to shlep me all around town. :p

Ask hotels or country clubs around the county for a space. The last place was great, but would get crowded easily with more than 15 people. And a screen is a must. :p Let's try to find someone with an 80" TV for starters... ;)

Anyway, I look forward to the next one!

6. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    We were spoiled the first meeting by having that huge movie screen to watch StarWoids on. Not too many people have 80" screens in their house though. I am buying a new HDTV soon (can't wait!). But it won't be that big. *sigh*

7. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, if you all don't mind meeting a little later on a Saturday night (9-ish and on), or on a Sunday evening, I could probably host us in my church's sanctuary in Tierrasanta. We have two digital projectors with twin movie screens ( don't know the actual size, but approx 8'x12' ), a 4500W Mackie/JBL sound system, and conveniently enough a nice 'puter with DVD player and integrated VCR running into it. So we could run .mpg's and .mov's of fanfilms anyone wants to bring on CDR. Oh yeah, we have a playstation docked in there too... not too many churches with a PS1 in the sanctuary (lol).

Anyways, Tierrasanta is pretty central for all of SD county (1 mile from Qualcomm Stadium). I think it'd solve the commute problems, and the sanctuary can hold 250 people or so, so space isn't a prob.

MJF, if you want to pick a couple dates I'll run them by the church secretary and make sure there aren't weddings or other events planned and I'll get us in on the official calendar. Sound good?

8. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Sounds better than good! Sounds like a really "fun" church too. No way we could meet earlier than 9pm though? Any date/time is fine by me, except May 1st - 6th when I'll be in Indianapolis. I think we should be able to meet two more times this month, so that we can represent San Diego's Chapter of Fan Force at the Celebration.

9. JediG60racer

Apr 9, 2002
    On a sunday, we could meet anytime after 1pm. On Saturdays, we have an evening service that goes until 7:30 and oftentimes there are people hanging out praying and stuff until 8 or so. 8:30+ is a possibility, but I have to allow a little inbetween time there. Sunday afternoon/early evening there's a lot more leeway, we only have morning services and they're over at 12:30.

10. JediSquire

JediSquire Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2002
    Greetings, Mara. DarthBrian told me about the group and it sounds real cool. I regret that I couldn't make the first meeting because of a prior commitment, but I would like to come to the next one.

As far as developing your website, I would like to help in anyway I can. DarthBrian may have shown you some rough concepts for the logo that I scatched up in your first meeting.

If you're looking for some boots, riding boots are probably the closest you can come to some Jedi boots. Though, they are kind of expensive.

Have you seen the post by the producer of "Beat the Geeks"? That may be something I would consider if nobody else wants to do it. Perhaps the group could be mentioned on TV. That would be cool.

That's all for now. Hope to see you and the other members soon.

Jedi Squire

11. DesertJedi77

DesertJedi77 Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2002
    Hi there veryone. I just fstarted reading the FanForce site, hoping there was something in SD. I'm a big star wars fan and hoping to join up. If there are definite plans for second meeting (wish I made the first) let me know.. and I'll be there! Oh yeah, I'm 23 and live in Alpine.. East County.

12. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    exfilms called me creepy :(

this is the deal..i love star wars you all know that i have a great extensive collection. biggest in san diego!

but i also love woman. sorry if i come off as a horndog.. but my wife left me cause i loved star wars too much...

now all i want to to meet a girl that loves it as much as i do. and maybe im coming off wrong to some of you...
    i would love to go to one of these meetings...but i have a full time job and i only have wed and thurs off...it really sux...but luckily star wars will open on a thurs. i dont find it creepy that i go out to party in tj even tough im 29yrs old. i just find san diego boring. downtown is so dull. im a party animal and i love to drink. if that is the kinda guy your looking for send me a buzz. im just being honest.

i ahve started the "homeless in line" cause fund. im buying tons of tickets for poor children and giving them away to the polinsky center. if you are going to donate please send money to..

miller h zavala
    po box 120563
    chula vista ca 91912

may the force be with you!

13. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001
    Sorry, maybe creepy was too harsh.

I just imagined everyone at the meeting hanging out and talking about Star Wars, except for one drunk guy trying to hit on the girls. That would be creepy.

I love to party and get drunk, at raves and especially in TJ. I just wouldn't choose a Star Wars fan meeting as the place for doing it.

(plus if you would have put a ;) or a :p after your post in the other thread I wouldn't have said anything)

14. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Homeless_Jedi,

I have to admit that I thought you were "creepy" as well. Thanks for taking the time to explain what was going on with you. (And I thought I was the only one who had marital problems because my husband HATES Star Wars.) ;)

When planning meetings we need to know the days that people are available because we want to pick dates and times that work with most peoples schedules. Thanks for letting us know that you are only available on a Wed/Thursday.

About the drinking and women issue however. This messageboard, and our meetings are for the discussion of Star Wars - this isn't a dating service. If that is what you are looking for, there are plenty of other messageboards and groups here in San Diego. We have several members already who are minors, and we will have many more under-age members joining, including my 13 year-old daughter. We want to create an atmosphere that parents would feel comfortable allowing their children to attend meetings. During "General meetings" (where all members can participate regardless of age) there will be NO consumption of alcohol. Especially considering that our next two meetings, at least, will most likely be held in the church in Tierresanta.

There will however be occassional 21 and over events. You are welcome to organize an activity like this if you wish yourself. I have heard that the 501st meet at Dave and Busters occassionaly so that might be a good place to hold a 21 and up meeting.

So, if the above sounds reasonable to you and you still want to be a member of our group, then welcome! If not, I wish you well.

15. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, I'm usually available any night of the week. I don't have much of a life except for Star Wars. :p
    However, Thursdays and Saturdays are the best days for me. I usually go out with friends on Friday nights so that would be the only night that I absolutely could not go to a meeting. Any other night I can set my VCR to record the TV shows I usually watch so I'm still fairly open for the rest of the week.

There won't be any praying going on in the church if we hold it there right? Cuz Star Wars is the only religion I follow. :D

16. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001
    What JediG60 offered sounds great, as long as its not a trick to get me to go to church on Sunday. :p

17. JediG60racer

Apr 9, 2002
    If there were any tricks, it would be Jedi mind tricks happening. ;)

I promise not to try and trick anyone into converting religions... hard enough to get my mom to go to church let alone a group of force-users. :) Of course, you *might* think our church is so cooooool after being there that you may end up checking out a service just out of sheer morbid curiosity, but I guarantee no proselytizing on my part.

I see no harm in praying for a miraculous free set of tickets for all of us to see the premiere though, hmmm? how feel you?

18. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    I'm free friday afternoon/evening. Saturday nights and sunday afternoon/evening. And that over 21 club meeting doesn't sound fair, unless you're just gonna get drunk and other dirty things of course. I dunno... I just feel like complaining since I'm only 15. :p

Can't wait for next one though!

19. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Have we decided on a time and place for the second meeting yet? I'm getting kinda antsy. :)
    I would suggest after the 23rd because that way we can do a show and tell of all the new toys we bought. :D

EDIT: Also, I am not available on April 21st. I have no doubt we would not hold it this Sunday anyway since it's such short notice. [face_plain]

20. ValueROCKR

ValueROCKR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2002
    im not avialable on the 26th cause im going to see JASONX ive waited so long for that movie its gonna be an all day event

21. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I am also not available on the 24th because I'll be at a concert.

22. JediG60racer

Apr 9, 2002
    Well if you're all not all star wars-ed out (yeah, like *that* could happen) the day after our trip to THE LINE at the chinese , howabout meeting on sunday April 28th in the late afternoon? I'm thinking we could start up around 4-ish? I still need to clear the timeslot with the secretary and make sure no one's in there, but I'm pretty sure it'll be clear then.

For those who aren't able to go on our little excursion to the line, you'll still be able to hang with us that weekend. Sound good? I'll call and see what the official calendar is looking like tomorrow.

23. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Is there any way we can get a Wednesday or Thursday night meeting in somewhere before the Celebration in Indianapolis? I still want to try to make us "official" before the Celebration.

24. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    How about Thursday the 25th?
    Then Sunday the 28th for the third meeting?

25. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    I was thinking that the "Midnight Madness" at TRU at Mission Bay might count as a meeting since there seems to be a lot of us going there. (That is if we can't squeeze in another meeting somewhere else.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.