main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Second Series SWCCG...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Restrainingbolt, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    You know I've been thinking about what might have been the result if Decipher had developed a second series SW CCG and what effect it might have had upon drawing new players into the game. Interestingly enough, Decipher is in the process of developing a "new" "second series" Star Trek CCG. The game will be a new one that will play completely "independently" of the original game, yet somehow still be downward compatable. That is, the new cards could be used in the classic game, "but" the older cards could not be used in the new version of the game.

I wonder how that might have been received by SW CCG players had something like that been developed. It might have been a better approach than starting a completely new game such as Jedi Knights. My view is that the number of cards available in the SWCCG make the game overly complex for the new player, "not" the game mechanics.

Any thoughts on how this might have been received by the SWCCG community?

R'Bolt

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    You are saying, if Decipher had made SW:CCG 2nd Series insted of Jedi Knights, would it have brought new players into the game, and would CCG players like the new version? If that is what you are asking then I have no clue. Unless Decipher came out and showed us an example of what this "2nd Series" might look like, there is no way to tell how it would have been recieved.

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I think 1st Edition could have come to a logical and satisfying end with Death Star II and Reflections II, with Tatooine and Episode I sets ushering in the 2nd Edition era. If you squint your eyes and look at them just right, I think you can see that that must have been what D had in mind; "2nd Edition" became "Episode I Closed Environment". I think a 2nd Ed. in those circumstances would have been relatively well-received, if executed properly.

But if you were to announce a 2nd Ed right now, you'd have problems. You're leaving 1st edition uncomplete, stuck in the 4th movie of a 6 movie series.

Remember, Jedi Knights was supposed to be "Young Jedi for the classic trilogy", not a SW:CCG 2nd Ed.

4. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah... well I suppose I was thinking outloud with respect to a second series CCG for Star Wars. I'm only thinking about the concept because of the new game proposed for Star Trek. Anyone here play Star Trek and have opinions about how the new game will affect the game.

With respect to Star Wars, I've always felt that Episode One would have been a great jumping off point for Decipher to offer a new CCG with a new card and player base. Including it into the SW CCG Classic Game was expedient on their part (given they probably knew they were losing the licence).

R'bolt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.