main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Secret"(A Jedi apprentice fanfic)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Wycil, Aug 12, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    But then again, this is really the only fan film I've seen (not counting trailers and stuff), so what do I know? I enjoyed it, anyway.

2. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Originally posted by Neeja Halycon:
    Btw, I beileve the Radio Drama is not considered EU (correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, it's been a while since I talked to my contact in the Cont. Dept., but the last time we went over the conflict resolution levels (called the Levels of Officiality by some, myself included), the Radio Dramas were considered a 4th tier of "Canon," which puts it above the "Official" materials (the Expanded Universe minus Apocrypha), and below the SEs, original films, and novelizations of the films.

(Yes, I'm the same Nathan Butler that does the whole "Star Wars Timeline 1.0 - 7.x". The homepage has just moved a lot. It's currently at http://members.xoom.com/nbprod/swtinfo.html http://members.xoom.com/nbprod/swtinfo.html .)

--Nathan Butler
    Co-Writer/Torin Klinar, Prelude to Hope

3. Celes

Celes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1999
    Just checking....hoping.......

4. Celes

Jul 8, 1999

5. Celes

Jul 8, 1999

6. Neeja Halycon

Neeja Halycon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    Thanks Nathan, I never knew there were "Levels of Officiality".

Does anyone know if someone from TDR can post here to offer more information on their film?

7. DarkLord Skywalker

DarkLord Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 1999
    To everyone who says The Dark Redemption sucked I'd like to see you all do better!

8. Ejan Jerthrid

Ejan Jerthrid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 1999
    Actually, we're working on that right now (heh heh...)

9. Col mar

Col mar Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    Check out Knight Quest, they've done better.

10. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Originally posted by DarkLord Skywalker:
    To everyone who says The Dark Redemption sucked I'd like to see you all do better!

Bwahahahahaha!

We intend to.

--Nathan Butler

11. Neeja Halycon

Neeja Halycon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    Aight Ejan, I can wait.

12. Not George Lucas

Not George Lucas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 20, 1998
    I had a few problems with this one.

1. The acting was not that great.
    2. It contradicted a lot from the films and the EU.
    3. Mara's lightsabre (Luke's ROTJ, and the bad blade).
    4. It rehashes lots of old lines.
    5. It really had not coherent plot.
    6. I got the impression that they spent way too much time on visual effects, costumes, etc., and not enough on story, charecterization, and such.

13. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    The Good: Well produced, nice effects. Some things could have been done much better, but thats true for any movie.

The Bad: You could have the greatest effects in the world but if the story is boring, it will do bad. They crammed A LOT into that movie and a lot wasn't needed. They could have thrown out Boba Fett, Han, and made more sense of whether Mara was a good guy or a bad guy to begin with.

The Ugly: I was paying WAY to much attention to the actress who played Mara Jade the first couple of times I watched it to actually notice a lightsaber, never mind a BAD lightsaber

WAY UGLY: Can I have a job at TFN reviewing fan movies?

LOL

SZ

14. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    My first post is a dreaded double post!

SZ

[This message has been edited by Subject Zero (edited 03-14-2000).]

15. DarkLord Skywalker

DarkLord Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 1999
    Originally posted by Col Mar:
    Check out Knight Quest, they've done better.

How the Hell do you know that Knightquest is Better???????
    It isn't even out yet!

16. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    What we really need in the theater is movies with more story in them. TDR has great specialeffects but the story is rather thin.
    That is the major thing in fanfilms I think:the lack of a good story. TDR´s story takes place within such a short period of time. But since I just started working on my own fanfilm I now what difficultys you come across. We won´t jave time to do the effects of TDR but we will instead try to make a good long story.
    Force on...

17. Ejan Jerthrid

Ejan Jerthrid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 1999
    So you want story, huh? We're working on that, too...

I though TDR was cool for what it was trying to do. Granted, it had it's inconsistencies, its forgettable effects, and its share of cheesy dialogue (mostly perpetrated by the rebels), but it was ambitious as hell for a fan film, and I applaud them for that. They really did have a lot of stuff to do, and they managed to pull most of it off with a reasonably good degree of success.

But I really liked Mara...

[This message has been edited by Ejan Jerthrid (edited 03-15-2000).]

18. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Originally posted by Wolverine:
    What we really need in the theater is movies with more story in them.

"Right on, right on."

"RIGHT ON!"

Precisely, Wolverine. Oddly enough, it is that exact reason that I came in on Prelude to Hope in the first place. Devon Read (along with Ryan Jordan, Kris Newsom, et al) had already written a script for the film (which was about TDR-quality in terms of dialogue, storyline, and not-so-subtle references to the SW films). What brought me in as Co-Writer was that as Script Editor, I noticed a lot of things that could be made better writing-wise or stoyrline-wise, to make it more of the story of several "real, human" individuals, instead of a series of events with the characters as sort of active setpieces. Once I made those suggestions known to Devon, he brought me in as Co-Writer and I rewrote the majority of the film, in some fashion or another, to make it fit exactly the kind of fan film needs you mention--story above gimmicks, as it were.

I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised with PTH, and it might help, along with others, to bring up the story standard in fan films.

--Nathan Butler

19. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    The plot was a little too dense IMO, and the editing seemed off, but the production value was top-notch, and I've got nothing bad to say about Leah MacLeod. =)

20. Durga2000

Durga2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 1999
    Any more from Wycil yet??????

21. Durga2000

Durga2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 1999
    Any more from Wycil yet??????

22. Misty the Pokemon trainer

Misty the Pokemon trainer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1999
    Only one thing would make my spring break better: a post from Wycil!

23. abobbs

abobbs Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 1999
    On one level I must say I was extremely impressed with the production quality of TDR. The costumes, sets, ships, and film quality were excellent.

On the other hand, the plot needed a little work. The dialogue and progression of scenes was confusing... especially with a plot as simple as:
    -Mara Jade has Death Star Plans
    -Good Guys Break Mara Jade Out
    -Good Guys Upload Death Star Plans
    -Mara Jade turns to Dark Side for No Apparent Reason

The Boba Fett sub-plot had some real potential just because it is cool to see how Boba Fett does his work and shifts alliances around, but it too suffered a bit from confusing dialogue and scenes.

I think, in the end, TDR is a very ambitious project and succeeded very well on production levels, but suffered from 3 main flaws:
    -The blaster fights needed some choreography, rather than just having the good guys stand in one place and shoot
    -The main story was hard to follow and wasn't about a particularily interesting topic in the first place
    -There were several inconsistencies with the Star Wars Universe

But hey, don't get me wrong... I'm still rather impressed.

24. Gaeriel

Gaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 1999
    Okay, I'm ready for another post. Are you back from vacation yet???? HOPE HOPE!!!

25. Jal-Dar Camori

Jal-Dar Camori Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2000
    Mara doesn't turn to the dark side for no aparant reason. At the end of the movie it is revealed that the whole thing with Mara transmitting the death star plans where just a plan from the Emperor to draw the rebels out of hiding. (kind of a nice twist I think).

Okay, I agree with you guys that the plot was weak and way to messy but It had a nice visual effect on me (except for the blaster fire and the lightsaber... and the force push thing...) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.