main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Secret History of Star Wars" Sequel Info

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by thejeditraitor, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Marcia contributed her bit in shaping the first film. Tons of people over time have done so with the series. It's how creating things on the scale of Star Wars works. But that has nothing to do with the "yes men" canard I was referring to.

2. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

I just read the secret history of star wars bio on Marcia... I'm actually shocked. I shared it with my wife and she was like, "see, that's why you can't divorce me, your movies will start to suck." I honestly think Marcia was the stone that sharpened George's blade. She was more than just another contributor, and I honestly think that Lucasfilm's writing her out of the history books is shameful. (I mean, I get it that the guy was hurt, but I would hope he'd be a little more fair about it).

Heero_Yuy and TK327 like this.
  3. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    There was also once a rumor that a villain planned for Episode VII was removed and placed in Episode III instead. My guess is this was either Count Dooku or General Grievous. Something General Grievous which creates his own army could be an interest character to explore.

4. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    If that's true, I'd say more likely Plagueis. :cool:

T-R-, LunarMoth, Shamear and 2 others like this.
  5. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Maybe they are one of the spin-off films? Probably not, but Disney does market itself as more of a family-friend entertainment company.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Hello ~ I just want to be clear on this point I've noticed you've used many times to claim that Lucas' treatments may still be in play.

This article from Collider is from February 8, 2013, mere weeks after the official announcement that JJ Abrams would direct The Force Awakens (January 26). It features Kinberg's and Kasdan's involvement as consultants for Episode VII well before the re-writes began, presumably in August, 2013. Abrams was finishing the promotion and release of ST:ID in May and there was an interesting picture of Lucas, JJ and KK in a meeting in July.

KK mentioned in the sale interviews in November 2012 that they were sitting down with "writers", so we can assume she was talking about Arndt, Kasdan and Kinberg, before Abrams' involvement. I'm willing to bet that all three have been around from the very beginning, since before the Disney sale.

In October 2013 the film making team was announced for Episode VII, dropping the bit about Arndt's departure, and informing us that the writing of the story would be done by Abrams and Kasdan. It's been rumored that Arndt was quite displeased. It was also rumored that Arndt's draft had a focus on the Solo's and JJ wanted to bring the focus back to the Skywalker's. At this point it appears, not certainly mind you, that the opposite has occurred. It was then reported that Lucas was made to "acquiesce" to the changes from his and Arndt's script.

In May/June of 2014 Lucas accepted a philanthropic award and in an interview stated he had 'no idea' what Disney/Lucasfilm were doing with the story. Now we have the Lucas comments from last month. I think it's clear he was hoping they use the Arndt draft and they decided to re-write, if not all, most of it.

Point being is that Kinberg has been around well before the re-writes in October. Just for clarity and if I'm understanding you correctly.

Darth_Downunder and starocean90 like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Hi mate. The interview I referenced was recorded at ComicCon last year. That means it was in late July 2014. Kinberg's comments can be heard at minute 29: http://fullofsith.com/archives/1113

Kinberg is clearly asked if the Lucas treatment is "still in play". He responds by saying (last July) that "It's definitely a part of the planning of all the different movies". That is a statement relating to the present tense, not some time long ago before they decided to throw it in the bin. This is the important point. When Kinberg came on board is secondary since this statement by him confirms that even as late as last July the Lucas story outline was "definitely" in use as part of the planning for the movies. Nevertheless, you're right that a slight correction is needed in terms of when Kinberg started work on EpVII. Thanks.

thejeditraitor, Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    For the heck of it and for fun, I looked into the secret history of SW sequel info and some other stuff comparing it to VII was interesting.

First of all it replace the Other with instead of Leia/sister with her daughter basically Luke's sister daughter.

In this one replace Luke with Rey and Yoda is Luke.

So Rey was supposedly a Jedi in training and student of Luke and will supposedly also be one again by the end of VII.

Given that the Other now Rey escaped a purge(Luke's Academy) and his now living in seclusion on the desert it kinda fits.:p

seems to be the case as Rey seems to be Luke's Jedi Legacy.

I like this one and I hope we get all of this in the ST.:)
    the Jedi knighthood, passing on what you have learned seems to obviously be Luke-Rey.
    the whole "moral and philosophical problems, such as the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong" seem to fit Finn not wanting to commit murder and deciding this way the Empire isn't his way also the whole 2 superweapons and how a character like Leia is in possession of a superweapon even after what happened to her in the past.

confrontation, could be the whole Alliance vs Empire as well as brother vs Sister and who knows what else..........

based on rumors this does not seem to be the case.[face_dunno]

I found this one to be interesting possibilities given all the rumors of the Republic vs Empire.

yes I know this one is all speculation but still an interesting possibilities.
    maybe Luke does wrestle with the Darkside after finding his students dead so he exiles himself to explore the concept more, it could also explain why so many rumors went towards Luke being evil/crazy/Darth.
    I am intrigued this though.[face_thinking]

Bolded part, would this mean like how based on rumors Luke failed (legacy of failure) and those rebuilding (Rey) are faced with not repeating the mistakes of the past.

there is also the whole Luke looks for his sister and he then trains her in the ways of the force followed by him and her taking on the Emperor. So instead of his sister it's his sister's daughter looking for him and he trains her in the way of the force would this mean they face Uber together in VIII???

what do you think??? Anything to add??? Comment on???:)

9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I will be amazed if nothing of George's original ideas is left. I also think a fair bit of Michael Ardnt's DNA will be present, though whether he is credited remains to be seen.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, some things do get overstated.

I asked the same question elsewhere, and Darth_Nub answered:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...lucas-have-on-the-ot-especially-anh.50027652/

Jedi Knight Fett and Bob Octa like this.
  11. Bob Octa

May 6, 2013
    That's a good thread. Great posts by Darth Nub and Darth Sinister.

Zikri and Iron_lord like this.
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it's safe to assume it might be used as a skeleton, but everything else (characters, locations, etc) all changed.

Echo Base likes this.
  13. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    I think we should take all these interview quotes with a hefty amount of Bantha salt.

In a deleted scene from The Empire Strikes Back - when Luke is recovering from the injuries caused by the Wampa - he gets a bit 'amorous' with Leia. There is clear sexual attraction between Luke and Leia. George Lucas did not have some grand long term vision to make Luke and Leia sisters. He made it up when writing Return of the Jedi.

Yes. In hindsight, after George wrote/directed the prequels, how come Obi-Wan doesn't recognize R2 and C-3PO in episode 4? There's no sense he's ever met them before and yet they were with him in the prequels. :D This proves George Lucas did not have a concrete vision, a clear outline of the overall saga.

Despite comments to the contrary, it's extremely doubtful George had some long term plan - a long term story plan for Star Wars - due to the extreme pressures put upon him. Three films equaled ten years of his life. A nine episodes SW saga would equal thirty years of his life. No person can plan thirty years ahead! Heck, some people struggle to plan for the next week. ;)

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think characters and locations will have been recycled in some cases. The concept art would back that up somewhat.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think one reason why there would be similarities even if Lucas stuff is mostly out (I doubt they used nothing whatsoever that seems to be mostly exaggeration on Lucas's part) is that Kasdan who was involved back in the day is still involved now.:)

thejeditraitor and nightangel like this.
  16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there's nothing to say that kenobi doesn't.

Luke'sSeveredHand, Dra--- and KenW like this.
  17. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

thats just it..no one knew about that then. One day there would be a newspaper clipping showing a new movie and there it was...the ESB or the ROTJ. There werent announcements or anything.

To be honest we had the toys and kinda spent our own time in that universe..we really didnt expect or "desire" that more movies be made. I dont think people thought that way then. Even horror films were just starting to serialize (see what i did there) and the 80's really kicked of the idea of trilogys after the sucess of star wars. Remakes werent commonplace at all like they are today.

Today its a different ball of energy that means many things to many people...but star wars was definetly more mystical feeling. That was the one thing everyone in my hood said..it was completely mystical and spiritual and it was easier to feel that way cuz we all went to sunday school in those days and the force just kinda made supernatural stuff seem kinda cool all of a sudden. Its hard to make a film in a spiritual nature these days, i wonder if people today are able to embrace spiritualism in film with the anti religous sentiment that seems to be somewhat prevalent these days.

When they announced the title the first thought i had was "wow, going back to the mysticism of the force". that was a very very good first step i thought. Hopefully we all leave the theater genuinely meaning it when we say "may the force be with you, always."

18. Bob Octa

May 6, 2013
    Here's something I'd forgotten about, but I'm re-reading Rinzler's Making of Star Wars (by the way, if you read "Secret History" but never read Rinzler--you're doing it wrong).

Marcia Lucas tried very hard to convince George to keep Luke's original watching-the-space-battle-from-Tatooine intro, and Luke's hanging-out-with-Biggs-and-friends scene. Two scenes that unnecessarily dragged down the first half of the movie and would've completely spoiled the audience's first impressions of the GFFA. Yes, Marcia Lucas: sole savior and secret creator of Star Wars, whom Lucas couldn't say "No" to. [face_laugh]

19. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    It's a false choice between a highly detailed long term plan and not even some long term plan at all. Hell, every OT purist apparently had a very detailed long term plan in their heads for the prequels, right down to the tiniest detail. I'm sure the story writer who actually created the characters developed some opinions on what would happen in the prequels too, whether or not he submitted the evidence to a jury in a certified envelope. Maybe he even made his ideas into movies to in fact show us what he was planning.

Or maybe you're right and it was more like a term paper he put off until the last minute and had no idea what to write. George Lucas is known for nothing if not having little long term investment in developing his stories. :rolleyes:

I mean, with Disney cranking out a movie per year, I'm sure it will be much more polished and planned... [sarcasm intended. :D]

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  20. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    The Secret History of Star Wars is some LOVELY propaganda, isn't it?

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    LOL!

Yes SHOSW does Marcia Lucas a great disservice. I'm sure she had some excellent contributions to the first movie but at the same time it's quite clear that whoever you were that at the end of the day it was Lucas' vision that drove all the movies. He had great collaborators on all the films to whom, he entrusted lots of work because it was a movie.

He was ultimately responsible for every detail as the film-maker but he couldn't have people running to him to check every single detail with him. That was their job and why he hired them in the first place. Obviously he oversaw things and over and over again the stories of how people were amazed that Lucas could look at something for a few seconds point out the problems and offer ways to solve it but leave the actual solving to them unless they just couldn't do it then he had to take a larger hand meaning he was pulled away from other work.

When I read it though I had no idea that he was some anti-Lucas hardcase though. I thought that overall while he had problems he respected him as an artist. I think on some level he must even though he doesn't like to admit it much.

The really LOVELY propaganda is that How Star Wars Conquered The Universe. That guy's hate on for the prequels is pretty abominable. It's a case study of a guy who thinks he knows what Star Wars is and is so enclosed in his box that he can't possibly see outside of it.

cwustudent and Iron_lord like this.
  22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Lucas didn´t write those history books

23. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    how come Obi-Wan doesn't recognize R2 and C-3PO in episode 4?
    How do you know he doesn´t?

24. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Given Obi-wan's disdain for droids in general, and Obi-wan doesn't actually speak to R2 in the first two prequels (and barely at all in ROTS), I would believe he had no idea who R2 was.

And I don't know that he ever interacted much with 3PO either. Nothing really comes to mind.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He fought with Anakin and Artoo for three years. He's even made "loose wire" jokes at Artoo's expense that it began to annoy Anakin. He knows who Artoo and Threepio are.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.