main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Secret of Mana

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Errant_Venture, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Secret of Mana was a SNES game released in 1993 by Square. It was an Action/Adventure RPG game that could be a multiplayer game if you had two or three people. It flawlessly integrated Attacking, Magic and Tactics. The lines were great and it was a graphics masterpiece for its time. It became a cult game over time, and back in 1995, Nintendo Power did a full walkthrough of the game. I still have my SNES and this game, and I'll play it quite often. One of the best games ever made, in my opinion.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    What is Secret of Mana?!? Well, its one of the best RPGs of all time, and well, listen to Padawan915. If you need some more ideas as to why it is so awesome, hit me up on AIM Dajuan. *caugh*

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Dajuan, when I come home in a week and a half, I'm going to have to give you a SNES Emulator and SoM.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    If you talk about Emulators again, I'll BANERATE YOU!

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Dajuan posted about emulators. Ban her!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Ooo, sorry I didn't realize that was a no-no topic. Oops

I got a SoCom edit though [face_love]

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] Two mods (granted, one is "just" an RSA) getting edited for the same thing in one thread. Somehow I like that.
    We didn't get any admin notes, though :(

and why didn't I mention manatheater.com yet in here? It's awesome!

It came out in 1993? My god... I'm getting old :_|

Did you know that the sprite is a girl in the German version? I didn't know it was supposed to be a boy in other versions. It sure doesn't look boyish...

8. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    You mean there was a German version? And that sprite is a guy in the US version? I always thought the little bugger was a girl.

And yeah, I think its hilarious that two mods screwed up and talked about emulators. I even told you that Dajuan over AIM when I was giving you a ummm advice on how win frogger RPG style. . .

9. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    What are you guys talking about?
    Sprites are genderless.

10. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Of course there was a German version. How else are kids supposed to play these Games?
    You didn't play original Japanese games when you were 11 either, did you? I wouldn't even try that at 22 o_O

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I always gave the Sprite a female name. *shrug*

SOM is one of the best SNES games I've ever played, right up there with Super Metroid and ALTTP. It's just so engaging.

12. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I wouldn't try that at 49.

I always named it something stupid as I honostly thought the creature was stupid and I prefer the girl. . .

13. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    the sprite was awesome! i always named him quest since the first time i ever tried to name him, it was going to be questar. the r didn't fit. so i subtracted the a. he had all of the cool magic, like the big ball of mud!

14. CountCuckoo

CountCuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    This was and still is one of my favorite games of all time

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It's a great game.

And just another game to add to my download to the Nintendo Revolution when I get it next year list.

~PK~

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You can always download it to your computer, which is what I have done. Emulating rules.

17. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Only if you own the SNES version. Otherwise it is *wrong*.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I never owned an SNES, so I guess I've been *wrong* about 30 different times. [face_mischief]

19. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    hey, I once owned the SNES version (and I think it's still somewhere in the family, so technically you could say I still own it... sort of) and still got edited for mentioning the e-word :(

why isn't he edited? booooo!! double standard! unfair! drama! etc.

20. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Secret of Mana is one of a handful of games that I replay every year or two, because it's just so awesome. It's really very close to being perfect, with only a few glitches and random absurdity (Santa Claus?) hurting it. And the overworld music near Gaia's Navel is probably on of my favorite songs from any video game ever.

Amazing.

21. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    [halibut]they are tracks or cues, not songs[/halibut] :p

My favorite music from SoM are the Mana Theme and the Lost Continent thing. I still want that as a ringtone for a cell phone. (Trouble is, I don't want a cell phone.)

22. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    here's a question that i hope somebody can answer because every faq/guide has no idea. where in the hell do you get the final sword's orb!!?!?!?!?!? all of the other final orbs are basically random drops from monsters in the mana fortress. the sword though, seems to have to come from somewhere else. it took me up until about a year or two ago to finally accept that the dragon buster is not the sword's final incarnation, and through my 12 years of playing this game, i've never weilded the true mana sword. so, who knows where to find that last bloody orb!?

23. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I always thought it was random.

if you (also) have it on emulator, there is a trick/cheat to get it (or maybe it worked on the SNES, too... not sure)

24. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    i'm just playing it on the regular super-nintendo. but if you have any tricks that could be used, it would be most helpful. though i really wonder though, there has to be a regular in-game way to do it.

i think finding the sword's final orb is the real secret of mana.

25. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    I thought that you could only get the Mana Sword by casting a spell that would temporarily unlock the power of the Mana Sword. But then it's been too freakin' long since I've played the game. I just have too many games that I need to play or replay, and not enough time to do it. :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.