main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Secret Sister: Lost and Found

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by SECRETSISTER, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Great Work, Sis. :D

Lissa's turning out to be a great kid.

I can see the movie spinoff, Tweleve pilots and a little lady :p

Can't wait for the next part. :D

2. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Wow, I just found this and I love it! Men raising little girls - there's nothing sweeter. :)

Great characterization, Secretsister, I love it so far! I'm definitely hooked.

3. Jeanida_Myrishi

Jeanida_Myrishi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2003
    *delurks*
    I really like it, the story's well told and touching... thank you for taking the time of day for writing it... :D Keep it up..
    *goes back to lurking*

4. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    Lank, DJ and JM: Thanks for reading. Lissa is coming alive now. Poor Rogues, how are they going to keep up with her.
    Sometimes I think I made her too sweet.
    A movie, Lank? SUUUUUUURE. New post coming soon.

5. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    Okay, folks. In a hurry, so here's part of...

CHAPTER 9

Wedge rolled over onto his back and stared vacantly at the ceiling of his small bedroom. A quick glance at the wall chrono told him that it was very early ?ship?s morning?. A dull throb in his left side had roused him and he couldn?t ignore it enough to get back to sleep. I guess I could take one of those painkillers they gave me, but it will probably make me groggy, too. Maybe if I get moving I?ll start feeling better. He rose carefully, went about his morning ablutions and climbed into a fresh jump suit.

Once in the corridor, Wedge stepped over to Lissa?s door and listened carefully, hoping that his movements hadn?t awakened her, too. All seemed quiet within. He started down the corridor, smiling and shaking his head as he went. Lissa had been a support group all by herself yesterday. During Wedge?s hour of enforced rest, not only had she watched over him, but Wes, too, and she had checked up on the Renegades E.V.?s, giving them encouragement and solace. Every Rogue had received her personal attention in the form of hugs and expressions of relief at their survival. And a listening ear. Wedge guessed that Lissa knew at least as much about this latest raid and its near disaster as the top brass would when they read the reports. He also knew that he needn?t be worried about that either. Lissa had long ago learned to keep what she heard to herself. Still, for her own safety, it might be wise to remind the squadron to be more discrete in her presence. Basically it was a matter of security.

Lissa had come a long way in the months that had passed since the battle at Yavin. The fear and sadness that had gripped her after the loss of her grandfather had - with medical attention, counseling, and a lot of love and care from the squadron - loosened its hold, and a bright, outgoing young girl had emerged.

Again, Wedge shook his head. His decision to champion Lissa?s cause had been, initially, one born of sympathy and shared pain. It hadn?t been until after he?d signed documents that officially (in the eyes of the Rebel Alliance) declared him to be her legal guardian that Wedge had been seized with the enormity of his actions. What did he know about raising a child - much less a girl? He was only twenty-one himself! He?d dug down deep, relied on nearly forgotten wisdom imparted by his parents, found a wellspring of patience; and most importantly, he listened to her. He had encouraged her to pull free of her sorrow and look always toward the future, had bolstered her confidence in herself, had pushed her to work at her studies; something he regretted that he had been unable to continue. Tycho had been a great help there, taking over Lissa?s tuition completely. Wes and Hobbie had always been able to get her out of the doldrums. Fiol had become her female confidante but ultimately it was to him that Lissa came either in sorrow or happiness.

Wedge?s throat thickened. Lissa?s declaration of love for him yesterday had not gone unheard. Only the action of the medication and his grogginess after the treatment had kept him from responding in kind. Yes, Wedge Antilles loved his little sister.

The tantalizing aroma of fresh brewing caf caught Wedge?s attention as he entered the pilot?s lounge, but a flash of blue light from the open workout room door diverted him. Luke was working out again and the caf wasn?t ready anyway. He crossed the lounge and entered the room quietly. Experience had taught him that he wouldn?t break his friend?s concentration. Luke would know who had come in; Wedge had watched the lightsaber exercise before. The door closed silently behind him and Wedge slid down to sit against the wall.

Luke Skywalker stood in the center of a large open space. He wore a black workout singlet that left his arms bare and his legs covered to mid-thigh. He was barefoot, too.

He worked slowly, rhythmically, through the patterns taught to him by Obi-wan Kenobi during that flight to Alderaan aboard the Mill

6. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Such an adorable post. :) I love it when she yells "Kid in the Hall"

~~Jilly

7. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    Good stuff, Sis.

It's so cool to see Wedge take a fatherly role. I'm sure this gave him quite the experience when his own two girls arrived. :)

on pins and needles for the next one! :D

8. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This kid in the hall's becomin' quite a habit for Liss, isn't it? Hehe, she's so sweet!!!

9. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    Jaina Durron and Bobilll: That's Lissa's way of telling people she's coming, and if they aren't presentable or up to something a young girl doesn't need to see, they'll have time to get to cover. heheheh
    Note: it's now in my sig.

Lank: further hijinks planned - birthday party comin' up!

EDIT: anybody catch a subtle reference to 'Solo Command'? hint: Wes

10. Dancing_Jansons

Oct 1, 2002
    Aww!

<pets fic affectionately>

This is one of my faves, Secretsister!

edit: spacing is good

11. Jeanida_Myrishi

Apr 6, 2003
    AWWWWWWWWW, absolutely wonderful

12. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    DJ and JM: Lots of warm fuzzies! It's going to get silly veeery soon. I hope I can get some more out 5-5. Delay because my boy just turned 18. Big step! Stick around, everybody, It's a'comin' soon!

EDIT: I'm also trying to get this page to turn over, so if anybody checks in and it's still on page 4, give it a healthy 'up', please?

13. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Sis,

This is just such a wonderful & great story -I look forward to each and every post :D Keep them coming and if you ever need anybody to beta read it for you to so that it can go into the archives please keep me in mind.

Oh, yeah - UP UP UP UP UP UP

Wedge :>o<:
    Cross into the Blue [/color]

14. Jeanida_Myrishi

Apr 6, 2003
    Up up uppers up up
    Aaaaaaaaaand another friendly
    UP!!!!

15. JainaDurron

Aug 8, 2002
  16. picciami

picciami Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 4, 2003
  17. Jeanida_Myrishi

Apr 6, 2003
    UP
    UP
    UP
    UP
    UP
    UP

18. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    Wow! Talk about the 'ups'! Thanks guys!
    Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr: I'll get the whole of this thing off to you as soon as I can. Thanks
    I'm gonna go and recheck some things in the rest of Chap. 9 and post it this afternoon. Hang on!

19. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    Like I said, here's the rest of Chapter 9. Have a good laugh!

?Presents.? Hobbie said firmly. ?She oughta have presents.? The men who sat around the table stared at him as if he had just sprung in from the Unknown Regions. Tycho groaned. Wedge covered his face with his hands in frustration.

?Where are we gonna find presents?? Zev asked indignantly. ?This is a fighting ship - not a luxury cruiser! There?s nothing special here.? He half turned in his chair so he wouldn?t have to look at his offending flight mate.

?Maybe we could make something.? Hobbie suggested lamely.

?Oh yeah. Sure.? Zev returned sarcastically without turning around. ?Let?s hang a panel light on a chain of lock washers and call it a necklace.? That elicited a chuckle from the others.

?It was just a thought.? Hobbie muttered in self-defense.

?Okay, okay.? Wedge said soothingly. ?I asked for ideas. We just have to stick to what we can do with what we?ve got.?

?The party is the big thing.? Shard said gravely. ?That?s the present.?

?Decorations are no problem.? Conri added. ?I?ll ?appropriate? some insulation film for that; but some of you have to help me cut, roll and twist if we?re going to have enough.?

?Maybe Lissa can help, too.? Tash suggested.

?What?? the rest chorused. Tash grinned and spread his hands.

?Sure! Tell her it?s for Wes and then use some on him to back it up!?

?Oooh, that?s mean.? Tycho laughed. ?We?ll do it.?

?Well, it looks like we have a plan.? Wedge took control again. ?Let?s assign jobs.?

In the room that he normally shared with Wes Janson, Hobbie sat hunched over on his bunk and finished wrapping the thin strip of silvery film around itself. Then holding it between the thumb and forefinger of one hand, he pulled it tight with the other.

?There?s gotta be something.? he murmured thoughtfully, inspecting the tightly wound coil. The door swished open and closed.

?Aren?t you through with that yet?? Zev?s unexpected entry made Hobbie jump, and the filament sprang from his hands.

?Oops, sorry.? Zev said as Hobbie glared at him. He reached down to retrieve the thing from the floor.

?Wait a minute!? Hobbie nearly shouted. He gazed intently at the now elongated curl that lay at his feet like a slim pipe. Slowly, oh, so slowly, a gleeful smile spread across his face. He snatched up the decoration stowed it in a small box beside him and rising, grabbed Zev?s arm.

?C?mon.? he urged as he palmed the door open again.

?What? Where?? Zev asked, confused.

?Presents!? Hobbie cried excitedly, tugging his companion down the corridor. Zev jerked his arm free and stopped. He planted his fists on his hips.

?Are you still on that kick?? he asked plaintively.

With an exasperated roll of his head and eyes, Hobbie halted his hurried march and returned to stand in front of the doubtful pilot.

?Yeah, I?m still on that kick.? he confirmed. ?Here?s my idea.? He bent close and explained patiently, using his hands to demonstrate. Zev?s face brightened.

?Do you think we can do it?? he asked.

?Sure!? Hobbie said confidently. ?I had one for years - got pretty good with it, too.?

?A piece of pipe?? The astonished Vik asked. ?First Celchu wants wire, and now you want a piece of pipe??

?Yeah.? Hobbie said. ?About - oh - thirty-two centimeters long and a bore as big around as my little finger.? He held up that appendage.

Vik turned to a set of deep drawers beside his workstation, pulled one out and began sorting through it.

?Hmm - thirty-two centimeters - this is for the party; for Lissa, right??

?Right.? The two pilots answered. ?Are you coming, too?? Zev continued.

?Of course. Be there with bells on.? Vik turned around and held up a length of metal tubing. ?Will this do? I can cut it down easily enough.? He stepped to the workbench, measured the requested length and ran a pipe cutter around it. ?How?s that??

Hobbi

20. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! What a lively group!!!

?Well when his head implodes, the vacuum it creates will suck up all the stuff on the floor and the bed. We?ll be home free.? Tycho shrugged. ?Simple Physics.?

[face_laugh]

And the chain, how sweet! making sure the next generation knows the Antilles legacy... hehe, Lissa's gonna love this party!

21. JainaDurron

Aug 8, 2002
    Wonderful post, very adorable. More yes? :D

~~Jilly

22. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    Great work, Sis.

I love you showing the Rogue's talent for improv in a way that shows their humanity and kindness.

Plus the bits with Wes and humor are dead on. [face_laugh]

Keep it coming! :D

23. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    [face_Charlie Brown] Good grief! Y'all come back fast! I enjoyed writing this part. The more laughs the better.

Bobilll: Just wait til she gets that chain! I can't imagine her ever taking it off.

Jaina: More coming sooner than usual. I also have to set up for the next section of the story. It will be in the SAGA index. Will let you know here when it starts.

Lank: What can I say? Wes is...well...Wes.

I know a lot of people prefer to see more action i.e. dogfights, etc. But I have trouble writing that. These guys need a bit of sweetness in their lives. Things will get a little tense in the next section, but Lissa is Lissa and the story is hers. I can't see her in a 'fighter's' role.

24. Dancing_Jansons

Oct 1, 2002
    Yay!

All these characters seem right. I can see them in my head. Excellent, Secretsister! Very funny. :)

I love how they all go to so much trouble for Lissa, just to make her happy. You know you're loved when people go out of their way to make you feel good.

25. Jeanida_Myrishi

Apr 6, 2003
    Jihaaaa.. It was a great post...
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.