main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Secrets Long Forgotten* (A fanfic by padawan feline and lunetta)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by padawan feline, Apr 24, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    "Maybe"?!? "maybe"?!? You had better be a lot more sure than maybe or I 'may be' forced to hurt you!

2. Jaycen_Kayde

Jaycen_Kayde Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2000
    Just though some of you on restricted budget might be interested in this. I just built two lightsabers and the total cost for both was under $5.00 (Granted, it may cost you a bit more to buy the handles, but you may have them laying around as I did)

Here's what I used
    1) ONE 3/4" PVC Pipe, about 12 feet long ($1.50)
    2) ONE Roll of Electrical tape
    3) TWO metal tubes from a vacuum cleaner (or any metal pipe that has a larger diameter than the PVC. (I'll post a pic in a little while)

You can decorate the vacuum pipeany way you want, but you simply cut a four foot piece from the 12 foot PVC pipe, put some tape on it if it doesn't fit snuggly into your pipe and VOILA, a neat three foot long saber prop. It won't look good unless you digitally edit it, which I intend to do, of course. Hope this helps. As I said, I'll put the pics up in a few minutes.

3. Darth Maniacos

Darth Maniacos Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2000
    That´s good for training or distance shots,but what do you take in a fan-film(close-ups)??????

4. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Hmmm...depending on your choreography you may want to shorten the blade length to about 30 inches. Longer than that makes spectacular quick hits and parrys impractical.
    -Lokmer

5. Jaycen_Kayde

May 14, 2000
    To the first question, if you take a look at the pics posted here:
    http://www.geocities.com/jwkrock/saber/saber.html http://www.geocities.com/jwkrock/saber/saber.html

You can see that if you decorate the hilt (which I haven't yet) it'll look pretty good.

And to the second question, the blade is only three feet long, one foot of it is inside the hilt, and as I've been using it, it works pretty good.

Also, if you are going to use PVC, when practcing, I recommend sliding a foam noodle over it to ease the pain

Jaycen

6. Jaycen_Kayde

May 14, 2000
    Oh, and er.... as far as a hilt without the blade, I bought two more similar pipes, because once the PVC is snuggly in, it's VERY hard to remove. These blades a purley for fight scenes, and the blade is not meant to come out.

Jaycen

7. Jal-Dar Camori

Jal-Dar Camori Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2000
    We've done our lightsabers almost the same way for our fanfilm. We used plumbing pipes for the handles and broomhandles for the blade (yes, it hurts if you miss a block). We too did two copies of every hilt, one detailed for closeups and just plain "hangin' in the belt" scenes and one with the blade for the fighting scenes.

This seems to work out very well for us.

8. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Hat's off! they look really nice. One problem though: I hope you have spares on hand for when (not if) the blades break.

-Lokmer

9. Melvil

Melvil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2000
    Hey, those look pretty good. They do need some deatil to make them look better though. I made a custom saber hilt a while ago (See picture at bottom), but sold it because it looked "too" much like Vaders. So now I'm working on an even more custom saber hilt. The first one I made for 15 bucks, which is pretty good I would say, Although being the son of someone who owns a hardware store might have helped a tad....=) When my new one is done, I will probably post pictures of that too.
    http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/images/fromvisitors/Melvs_Saber.jpg http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/images/fromvisitors/Melvs_Saber.jpg

I got instructions on how to make it here: http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/ http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/

-Melvil

10. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    I hate to disappoint you, Jaycen_Kayde, but your lightsabres - nice though they are - are NOT the cheapest custom lightsabres around...

My sabre, as pictured in the following link, has to take that title from you...
    http://www.filmsrus.f9.co.uk/ttcse2.gif http://www.filmsrus.f9.co.uk/ttcse2.gif

It took less than half an hour to make, and only cost me £0.00, that's roughly $0.00, in US Dollars...

Funny how you spend so much time on SFX animation, and yet the sabre takes all the credit! ...intrigued?

Saeed TTC

11. Batman

Batman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2000
    Ok Saeed , how did you do that? That sabre looks pretty nice, for something that cost nothing. Comon, you have to tell us how you did it.

Batman

12. Saeed

May 11, 2000
    ...Hehehe

What? And spoil the surprise...?

Saeed TTC

13. Han_Duet_1

Han_Duet_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2000
    *grabs saeed by the neck and lifts him of the ground* TELLLLLLLLLLL UUUSSSS!

14. Jaycen_Kayde

May 14, 2000
    ALRIGHT...ALRIGHT. I SUBMIT!!! BUT DARN IT, MY SABERS ARE THE CHEAPEST ONES THAT COST SOMETHING Free sabers don't count

15. Jaycen_Kayde

May 14, 2000
    Trust me, this pipe won't break, but just in case, I do have spares, yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lokmer:
    Hat's off! they look really nice. One problem though: I hope you have spares on hand for when (not if) the blades break.

-Lokmer

16. Saeed

May 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Han_Duet_1:
    *grabs saeed by the neck and lifts him of the ground* TELLLLLLLLLLL UUUSSSS!

"aaaggh...We intercepted no transmissions...this is a consular ship...on a diplomatic mission....aaarrghh" &lt;SNAP&gt;

Saeed TTC

PS Guys - if you bothered to read the other threads, you wouldn't even need to ask...

17. Darth Duality

Darth Duality Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Saeed, quit teasing. You're not *quite* playing fair, and I KNOW IT!

Dave

18. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Which thread???

19. Saeed

May 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Duality:
    Saeed, quit teasing. You're not *quite* playing fair, and I KNOW IT!

Dave

Indeed. I hate being teased as well...

Truth is, I'm surprised no one spotted this when checking out the pic in the link I posted. I thought people get the 'joke' earlier.

Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, we are witness here today to a first in SW fanfilmdom, and quite possibly in the official films as well...

The picture posted was a clip from my soon to be released film, The Terran Conflict . Not being the richest SW fan around, I don't own a toy lightsabre, and a friend said he would lend me his for shooting purposes...unfortunately, he forgot.

Well, as they say, neccesity is the mother of invention, and I did the only thing I could think of at the time - I created a CG sabre from scratch, and blended this in with my live action. This also made it easier to have the sabre floating to my hand in the following shot...

I'm sorry if I dashed anyone's hopes, I just saw the title of this topic and couldn't resist throwing in my 'two cents'.

Well, there you go. I'm spoiling my own film by giving away all the secrets before release...tut,tut tut...

Saeed TTC
    AKA The Jedi With No Name (or should that be No Sabre?)

20. Han_Duet_1

Mar 18, 2000
    A CG saber??? well gosh darn diddely.
    I'd have to go out and by a CG program (hundreds of dollars) so for me that isn't the cheapest saber.

21. Saeed

May 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Han_Duet_1:
    A CG saber??? well gosh darn diddely.
    I'd have to go out and by a CG program (hundreds of dollars) so for me that isn't the cheapest saber.

Actually, I modelled it almost entirely at work during lunch hours and evenings, so it cost me nothing.

Why not try it yourself? What's that? still at school...?

Schools these days have more access to computer hardware/software than I have even now... try telling your teachers it's for your 'science project'.

"Would it hurt to be a little more friendly to Principal Skinner, if you know what I mean...?" -- Lisa Simpson

[This message has been edited by Saeed (edited 06-04-2000).]

22. Han_Duet_1

Mar 18, 2000
    Thank you for the tips,
    i'm actually not in school at the moment,
    i've been doing home school for the past few years, i'm planning on going to school later this year though.

23. Saeed

May 11, 2000
    Home school? What a good idea - wish they had that over here...

Don't forget, programs like blender are free. I'm looking into it for my next project.

BTW, I am making a real sabre, too. Using bits of hosepipe nozzles and gardening tools...

The friend I mentioned earlier has agreed to play the villain, and he now has a Darth Maul sabre. The toy sabre blades are a little too thick for my tastes, which is why I'm doing my own.

Let me end on a positive note, being the 'Internet Good Samaritan' and all. For the ignited sabre shots in The Terran Conflict I just held a simple metal ruler which was lying around. It was too flexible, and way too short, but if you use wooden dowel or something, those problems will not arise. You don't HAVE to use close ups. When Lucas made ANH, he didn't have all the financial benefits when making the subsequent films. Many of the props and costumes were compromised to some extent, or photographed in a way to look their best.

I originally went ahead without my sabre prop because I was too eager to get shooting over with, so I could get to the post production good stuff.

The moral of this story?
    Don't let hang-ups over props get in the way of your enthusiasm...

I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Saeed TTC
    AKA The Jedi With No Sabre...?

24. Jean

Jean Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Upping for the move

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.