main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Secrets of the Jedi (post-AotC AU; Siriwan; A/P) **Updated 3/13/12-Epilogue** Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, May 25, 2005.

1. ikarit

ikarit Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2006
    Just got caught up on all my reading, great chapters! I love that Ferus beat Anakin, and someone new knows Obi-Wan and Siri's secret...

Oh, and please keep me on the PM list!

2. padawan-grasshopper

padawan-grasshopper Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2004
    Ha! My computer has finally allowed me to get back here.=D= Gosh, this is exiting...

Somehow, I can't help but think that the sight of Garen's draw dropping could be rather hilarious.

3. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Hi there,

Excellent story, I'm hanging on in there, but my internet access is really sporadic at the moment.

I'd love to be on the PM list still.

EG

4. Milteck

Milteck Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    Please keep me on the pm list

I have enjoyed every update and just caught up on reading all of them.

I thought the duels were well done and look forward to see how this story develops.

Personally, I would rather have it been Palpatine who learned of the forbidden secret of Siri & Obi-Wan's child. But I still enjoyed seeing Obi-wan's friend learn the truth.

Hopefully that will motivate him to finally get a padawan.

Milteck

5. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Alright, you caught me. I'm reading this and loving it, put me on the PM list please!

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    erikawr5 OMG garen knows,he could help keep an eye on zakk

He could. :)

jedi_princess18 So now Garen knows Obi-Wan's (and Siri's) secrets. I have a feeling their secrets will be safe with him- and Zakk may need the benefit of another pair of eyes watching over him.

He may indeed. :)

Star_Angel The A/P moments were really sweet, they defiantly needed some time alone.

Thanks, I thought so too. [face_dancing]

Jaira Oooooh! Great update! I'm kinda happy Garen knows now.

Me too. I thought Obi and Siri could use a friend that knew their secrets. :D

epithree Brilliant as always.

Thrilled that you are going to keep it coming.

Thanks. :D

ikarit Just got caught up on all my reading, great chapters! I love that Ferus beat Anakin, and someone new knows Obi-Wan and Siri's secret...

Glad you caught up. :)

padawan-grasshopper Somehow, I can't help but think that the sight of Garen's draw dropping could be rather hilarious.

Yeah, it does seem a bit funny. [face_laugh]

EGKenobi Excellent story, I'm hanging on in there, but my internet access is really sporadic at the moment.

No worries. :D

Milteck Personally, I would rather have it been Palpatine who learned of the forbidden secret of Siri & Obi-Wan's child. But I still enjoyed seeing Obi-wan's friend learn the truth.

Palpatine does know. ;)

AvenKiel Alright, you caught me. I'm reading this and loving it, put me on the PM list please!

You got it. [face_dancing] Glad you're enjoying the fic.

Chapter 17 (Part 2 of 2)

“Married?” Garen asked, still shocked beyond belief.

Siri nodded. “We were married on Lygos III six years ago. The man that married us, Shiraka, was a holy man that ran a temple on the planet.”

Garen began pacing, running his hands through his dark hair. “I can’t…I just can’t believe this.”

Obi-Wan was about to say something when Zakk’s crèche master suddenly appeared. “Excuse me, Master Kenobi, but it’s time for the younglings’ mid-morning meal.”

Young Zakk quickly said goodbye to the adults and went along happily with Master Hyavor.

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Garen demanded once the crèche master and Zakk were out of earshot.

Obi-Wan sighed. “This isn’t something we go around shouting to the whole planet, Garen. There are reasons why we keep silent about this.”

Siri reached out and took Garen’s hand in her own, thankful beyond words that he didn’t pull away. “We wanted to tell you, Garen. We’ve always wished we could tell you, Bant and Reeft. We don’t keep it a secret because we like keeping secrets or because we we’re trying to hurt you. Please believe that.”

Garen sighed deeply as he took a seat on one of the stone benches. “Where does your…son fit into all this? Did you plan him or was he a…mistake?”

Obi-Wan felt Siri’s emotions flare at the word mistake. “Never call my son a mistake, Garen, or you’ll wish you’d never…”

“Whoa,” Garen said, holding his hands up in surrender. “I’m sorry. I just…I’m trying to understand all of this.”

Obi-Wan sat down next to his friend. “We weren’t planning on having him, no, but he certainly wasn’t a mistake. He’s been wanted and loved from the moment we knew of his existence. Call him…an accident. He’s the happiest accident I’ve ever experienced.”

Siri smiled. “Me, too. I don’t know how to make you understand any of this, Garen. All I can say is that I love Obi-Wan. I’ve loved him since I was a child and even being a Jedi can’t change that. I fell in love with him, married him, bore his son and nothing has ever made me happier. My life is more fulfilling than I ever imagined it could be, and it isn’t because I’m a Jedi. It’s because I’m his wife and Zakk’s mother.”

Garen looked at them both. He could see the love in their eyes when they looked at one another, and he could sense their feelings. But it hurt to not have been included.

He stood and took a deep breath. “Look, I want to understand, I really do. I’m just…I guess I’m a bit angry that neither of you trusted me enough to tell me the truth. I’ll keep your secrets, though. I won’t say anything.”

“Garen, we never considered that you’d ever do otherwise,” Siri told him.

He nodded and then walked away.

“That went well,” Obi-Wan muttered sarcastically.

Siri pressed a kiss to his cheek. “Let’s go to Orowood. I could use some time away from here just to be with you.”

He smiled at her as they headed off together towards the Temple hanger and the landing platform where air taxis were cleared to land at the Temple.

Orowood, Coruscant
    Orowood Tower
    Kenobi Apartment

The Orowood section of Coruscant was a fairly affluent area. It had a wonderful view of the Manarai Mountains and was well guarded; giving the residents of the area certain privacy that could not be enjoyed anywhere else.

Siri came from an affluent Alderaanian family that had sent her to the Jedi along with substantial funds. So, when her mission as Zora finally ended, she took some credits and purchased an apartment for herself and Obi-Wan. It was nice to have a place where they could go and simply be a man and his wife.

After tossing the air taxi pilot a few credits, Obi-Wan and Siri walked inside the building and directly into the turbolift. Quickly, the lift took them to the thirtieth floor where their apartment was located.

Stepping inside, both breathed a sigh of relief. Obi-Wan immediately discarded his cloak while Siri sat down on the soft and removed her boots before tucking her feet underneath her. A moment later, Obi-Wan sat next to her.

“Well, that was an exhausting conversation with Garen,” he commented after a few minutes of silence.

Siri leaned closer to her husband and rested her head against his shoulder. His arm easily found its way around her. For several long moments they just sat there, luxuriating in the feeling of being together.

“Are you okay with Garen knowing?” Obi-Wan asked in a gentle manner. “This has gone from us and Master Yoda knowing to us, Master Yoda, Anakin and Garen within a pretty short timeframe.”

Siri sighed as she searched her heart for the answer to his question. Her main concern for so long had been protecting the true identity of their son, making sure no one knew his parentage. Now, she was in the position of trusting others with the secret.

“I trust the people that know,” she finally decided. “I don’t think that Zakk is in any danger from those people. As for being okay with it; I doubt I’ll ever be okay with it completely. I’d feel best if you and I were the only ones that knew the truth, but we’re long past that already.”

Obi-Wan was about to respond when his comlink chirped at him. Siri exhaled, knowing that he was most likely being called away. So much for their relaxing afternoon together.

“Kenobi,” he answered.

”Obi-Wan, the Council requires your presence in one hour.”

Obi-Wan closed his eyes, not answering right away. Not for the first time, he didn’t want to go back to the Temple. He wanted to stay with his wife.

“Duty calls,” Siri whispered to him, understanding in her gaze.

He nodded. “Yes, Master Windu. I’ll be there.”

”Bring your padawan with you.”

“Yes, Master,” he acknowledged, flipping the comlink closed. He tossed it onto the sofa between them and leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees; head cradled in his hands.

Siri began running her hand up and down Obi-Wan’s back in soothing rhythms, hoping to relieve some of the tension and stress she could sense emanating from him. It was easy to see that the constant secret-keeping was getting to her beloved.

“I’ll go back with you,” she finally said.

Obi-Wan smiled as he took her hand in his. “You don’t have to. You could stay here for a while. There’s really no need for you to return right now.”

Siri stood with him and smiled when he pulled her into an embrace. She wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head against his chest.

Obi-Wan closed his eyes and savored the moment with his wife. He knew as he held her that he could happily spend the rest of his life in her arms; could give up everything and spend his days doing nothing but being with her. But for now, duty called.

He kissed the top of her head softly. “I love you.”

Siri lifted her head and looked into his eyes. “I love you, too. Now, com Anakin and go back to the Temple. Master Windu sounded serious.”

Obi-Wan placed a quick kiss on her lips before retrieving his comlink from the couch where he’d tossed it and keying in Anakin’s code.

Anakin wasn’t happy about having his time with Padme interrupted. He’d been grumpy when Obi-Wan told him they were needed back at the Temple to attend a meeting with the Council.

“Any idea what this is about, Master?” he asked as they stepped off the lift and into the hallway that led to the Council chambers.

“Master Windu didn’t say anything, but I’m fairly certain that it has to do with the war,” Obi-Wan answered grimly. “It’s beginning to escalate, and with the appearance of that monstrosity, Grievous, it can only get worse.”

Anakin cleared his throat. “I hope you’re wrong, Master.”

“So do I,” he replied just as the doors opened in front of them. “Come along.”

They walked to the center of the room, both bowing unison before the assembled members of the Council. As they rose, they noticed the other Jedi that were in the circular room; Aayla Secura, Nejaa Halcyon and Ylenic It’kla.

Mace Windu let his gaze wander the curious faces of the Jedi standing before him for several moments before he spoke.

“I trust each of you is aware of Chancellor Palpatine’s news broadcast of this morning,” Windu began.

“Yes, Master,” came the three voices of Halcyon, Secura and It’kla.

“No, Master,” sounded Obi-Wan and Anakin at the exact same time.

If Windu was surprised, he didn’t let it show. He pushed a few buttons on his chair and hologram appeared in the center of the room of Chancellor Palpatine making a speech from the Council chamber.

”Greetings my fellow beings,” Palpatine began. “I come before you this morning in great sadness. It is with a heavy heart that I announce to you all that in response to the military buildup by the Separatists, I have spoken with my gracious hosts, the Jedi Order, and have asked them to join the side of the Republic in this war.”

Master Windu stopped the recording there, deactivating the hologram.

“Master Yoda, myself and the rest of this council have decided the best course of action is for the Jedi to join with the Republic in this fight,” Windu announced. “Two standard hours from now, all Jedi Masters, Knights and senior level Padawan Learners will become commissioned members of the Republic military.”

Anakin had given it a valiant effort, but he could no longer hold his tongue.

“Pardon me, Master,” he began, once again speaking out of turn for a mere Padawan. “How can the Council even consider this the appropriate course of action?”

Windu looked to Obi-Wan to silence the younger man, but found nothing more than silent agreement in Obi-Wan’s face.

“We cannot and will not allow the Republic to fall into chaos,” Windu finally found his voice. “We all wish it had not come to this, but this war is quickly reaching the point where Jedi involvement may be the only thing standing between the Separatists and the total collapse of the Republic.”

Obi-Wan cleared his throat. “You mentioned us becoming commissioned members of the military; what exactly will that entail, Master?”

“Most Masters and Knights will be leading platoons and occasionally entire brigades of clonetroopers into battle,” Windu explained. “Some senior Padawans will also be leading troopers. For example, Master Kenobi and Padawan Skywalker are being assigned together to an elite brigade of troopers that contain both ground and starfighter forces. Obi-Wan, you’ll be in command of ground operations and Anakin will be leading the starfighter division of the unit.”

“What exactly will our ranks be, Master Windu?” Nejaa Halcyon finally spoke.

“All Masters will carry the rank of General,” Windu answered. “Knights are all being commissioned as Colonel’s and most senior level Padawans will carry the rank of Commander.”

For nearly an hour the conversation went on. Questions were fired at Windu and eventually the other Council members as well, until finally Windu ended the discussion and turned his attention to Halcyon, Secura and It’kla.

“We have a special mission for the three of you,” he announced. “The Republic was contacted sometime late last night by a Techno Union scientist named Ratri Tane. He claims that he’s willing to give us valuable information regarding the Confederacy in exchange for protecting his family. Your mission is to travel to Corellia and retrieve him and return him to the Temple where he and his family will be put under the protection of the Jedi.”

“Yes, Master,” Halcyon replied.

“You’ll be traveling on a public transport to Corellia,” Windu advised. “Your objective is to stay out of sight and inflict as little damage as possible.”

“Master, does the Confederacy know we’re coming?” Aayla Secura wondered.

“We cannot determine that,” he answered. “I’d suggest you assume that they are aware of our retrieval mission. The Confederacy is likely very anxious to get their own hands on Ratri Tane. Expect to be confronted. Your transport leaves in one hour.”

The team of three bowed and quickly left the chamber, already planning their strategy.

“As for the two of you, Master Yoda and I have a special mission,” Windu told Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Both men stood straighter, waiting to hear where they would be going and what they would be doing.

7. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Chapter 18 (Part 1 of 2)

“Count Dooku has been located,” Windu announced.

“What?” Obi-Wan whispered, shocked.

A quick flash of anger crossed his face as well as Anakin’s. Both men were remembering the injuries inflicted upon them by Dooku at the Battle of Geonosis. While their physical wounds had healed, their emotional ones were still close to the surface.

“Chancellor Palpatine has had people searching for Dooku, and he’s been tracked to Bakura,” they were told. “The two of you are being sent to apprehend him and bring him here to Coruscant where he will stand trial for crimes against the Republic.”

“If he won’t come peacefully, Master?” Obi-Wan asked, his tone surprising both himself and Anakin with its icy sound.

“Do what must be done, Master Kenobi,” Windu answered. “Dooku must stand trial and be held accountable for his crimes.”

“When do we leave, Master?” questioned Anakin.

“Within the hour would be best,” Windu advised. “We don’t want Dooku to slip through our fingers again.”

Both men nodded.

“May the Force be with you,” Windu intoned seriously.

“May the Force be with you, Master Windu,” Obi-Wan and Anakin replied in unison.

They turned together and exited the Council chamber. The moment they entered the lift, Anakin turned to his mentor.

“I have to say goodbye to Padme, Master,” he said quietly.

Obi-Wan nodded, but didn’t reply. His expression was unreadable, but his arms were crossed over his chest and Anakin noticed that his breathing was faster than normal.

“Master, are you alright?” he asked, concerned.

The blue glow of Force lightening colliding against his lightsaber swam in Obi-Wan’s vision as he and Dooku circled one another. Then came the red glow of Dooku’s saber, shadowing his evil face in a sinister light.

“Master?”

Dooku was fast. He blocked every single attack Obi-Wan mounted against him. Before he knew it, the smell of burning flesh assaulted Obi-Wan’s senses.

“Master? Obi-Wan!” Anakin called.

Obi-Wan turned to look at his apprentice. “What?”

“I called you three times,” Anakin explained. “Where were you just now?”

“I was…” he began. “I was back on Geonosis for a moment.”

Anakin nodded understandingly. Though he never said anything to the older man, Anakin knew that Obi-Wan still had occasional nightmares about their encounter with Dooku on Geonosis. Obi-Wan would never admit it, but Anakin had been awakened several times in the middle of the night by his mentor’s screams.

“We’ll have our chance, Master,” Anakin replied. “We will apprehend Dooku so he can stand trial.”

Obi-Wan nodded slowly. “Yes. So he can stand trial.”

Anakin didn’t notice the momentary look of anger that crossed Obi-Wan’s face.

Siri was waiting for her husband when he returned to his and Anakin’s quarters. He smiled as he crossed the room and sat next to her on the sofa.

“What did Master Windu want?” she asked without preamble.

Obi-Wan sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. He knew she wasn’t going to like what he had to say.

“Count Dooku has been located,” he told her. “Anakin and I are being sent to apprehend him.”

Shock settled over her features. She reached out immediately and caressed his upper arm where she knew the scar from his last encounter with Dooku rested beneath his clothing.

Sensing her fear for him, he pulled her into his arms. “Hey, I’ll be fine. That isn’t going to happen again, I promise. I know what to expect from him now.”

Siri pulled away from him and walked out onto the balcony. She wrapped her arms around her waist and stared out at the passing speeders. Tears gathered in her eyes.

Obi-Wan stepped behind her and was about to say something when Siri spoke.

“This is why, isn’t it?” she whispered.

“Why what?” Obi-Wan asked as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her back against his chest.

She wiped away a few tears before answering. “These moments; these moments are why attachment is forbidden; these moments, when my fear for you is at its greatest levels.”

“Nothing is going to happen to me,” he reassured her. “I’ll come back to you.”

She turned in his embrace and met his stare with one of her own. “I fear for you every time you leave my arms. Every time I’m forced to let you go, I’m a mess until I can hold you again. I usually go spend time with Zakk once you’re gone. Being around him helps.”

Obi-Wan closed his eyes and rested his forehead against hers. His mind was warring with his heart over whether or not to tell her about Anakin’s vision. He knew she deserved to know, but his heart wouldn’t let him tell her something that would only make her more afraid than she already was.

So he decided to keep the vision to himself.

“When do you have to leave?” she asked softly, her hands running through the hair at the nape of his neck.

“In about forty minutes,” he said after checking his wrist chrono.

Siri smiled gently before pulling Obi-Wan into a tender kiss. Their lips brushed softly together for several moments before Siri took Obi-Wan’s hand in her own and pulled him towards his bedroom.

The moment Anakin entered the apartment, Padme knew something was wrong.

“Anakin, what is it?”

Anakin took her hand and lead her to the couch. “Obi-Wan and I are being sent on a mission to Bakura.”

Padme’s eyes narrowed. “There’s more, isn’t there?”

Anakin nodded; his gut clenching as he said the words. “The Republic and the Jedi have been trying to track Count Dooku ever since Geonosis. Master Windu informed us that he’s been finally been found. Obi-Wan and I are being sent to capture him.”

For several long moments, Padme stayed quiet, not knowing what to say. Finally, she jumped up from the couch.

“How can they send the two of you!?” she shouted.

Anakin stood and rested his hands on her shoulders while he looked down into her eyes. “We’re the best choice. Obi-Wan and I have fought Dooku. We know what he’s capable of in battle.”

“That doesn’t mean that you have to go after him,” she spat angrily. “What if it’s…?”

“What if it’s…what?” he asked gently.

“Anakin, you lost your arm the first time, what if this time it’s something worse?” she wanted to know, her voice awash in fear.

Anakin pulled her into a tight hug, wrapping his arms securely around her waist. “I’m going to be fine. I was…reckless the first time. I know better now, and Obi-Wan will be with me. We’ll look out for each other. I’ll come home, I promise.”

“I want to believe that,” she whispered.

“You can believe that,” Anakin insisted. “It’s going to take someone or something much more powerful than Count Dooku to do me in.”

A hint of a smile touched her face. “I’m going to hold you to that promise.”

Anakin laughed. “I thought you might.”

Their lips met in several long kisses before Anakin pulled reluctantly away. “I have to go.”

Padme nodded. “I love you.”

Anakin kissed her one more time. “I love you too.”

Padme’s tears didn’t fall until he had left the apartment.

“I love you, you know,” Siri said as she watched Obi-Wan get dressed.

He turned to face her and smiled. “I know. I love you, too. I’ll be back before you know it.”

One kiss later, Obi-Wan activated the door and was about to leave when Garen stepped in front of him, breathing ragged.

“I’m glad…I…caught you,” Garen breathed.

Obi-Wan chuckled. “Are you okay?”

Garen took a deep breath and nodded. “Yes, I’m fine. I just…I heard you were leaving and I wanted to catch you before you did. I just wanted to say…I’m sorry I reacted badly to your…news.”

Siri reached out and took Garen’s hand. “It’s okay, Garen. We understand.”

He nodded. “Anyway, I came to tell you that…I’m happy for you.”

Garen hugged both his friends, than watched as Obi-Wan kissed Siri one last time before leaving.

Garen hung back with Siri. He could sense that she was sad, and also a bit afraid. But he could also feel her confidence in Obi-Wan’s ability to get the job done. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed.

“He’ll be fine.”

“I know,” Siri said, and she meant it.

Obi-Wan and Anakin met in the Temple hangar bay just as Nejaa Halcyon, Aayla Secura and Ylenic It’kla were walking towards the transport that would take them to the spaceport.

Nejaa and Obi-Wan shook hands. “Good luck, Kenobi.”

Obi-Wan smiled. “You too. May the Force be with you.”

“And with you,” Nejaa responded. “Skywalker, you make sure you watch out for this old man here.”

Anakin smiled. He liked Nejaa Halcyon; the Corellian Jedi that was so different from most Jedi Anakin had met over the previous ten years.

“I will, Master Halcyon,” he promised.

Nejaa clapped both men on the back and walked off.

“Come on, Anakin,” Obi-Wan said grimly. “We have mission to accomplish.”

“Yes, Master,” Anakin replied; grim determination set on his face.

8. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Awesome update Jen, really love the interaction between Obi and Siri.

Although Obi getting angry?? don't wanna be dooku I can tell you

Thanks for the PM

EG

9. arwenreielkenobi

arwenreielkenobi Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2007
    WOW!:eek: This was SO amazing! I just found this today. I love it. Keep up the terrific work.

10. DarthJishyWishy

DarthJishyWishy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2007
    This is great.
    I'm pretty sure Dooku is doomed this time.
    [face_skull]
    Guess we'll see.
    Keep up the good work!

11. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    *worries with Padme and Siri*

12. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    EGKenobi Awesome update Jen, really love the interaction between Obi and Siri.

Thanks. :)

arwenreielkenobi WOW! This was SO amazing! I just found this today. I love it. Keep up the terrific work.

Thanks a bunch. :D

DarthJishyWishy I'm pretty sure Dooku is doomed this time.

Pretty sure, huh? ;)

princess_of_naboo *worries with Padme and Siri*

Ah, don't worry. Much. :D

13. Milteck

Jul 8, 2006
    And I thought Anakin was the unpredictable one...

Wonderful update.

Obi-Wan sure isn't handling this transition well and has even flashed some bursts of anger. I can't imagine him turning to the Dark Side and hope he is able to withstand the temptation to do so.

Anakin is actually sounding like the voice of reason and is coming into his own.

Palpatine seems to be unfolding his plot very well. Though with only 5 Jedi leaving for active duty, his plan to empty the temple so far hasn't suceeded so can steal Zakk (assuming that is his plan).

Another Dooku vs Skywalker and Kenobi. Will look forward to that.

One thing that seemed out of place. How did the friend Garen know of the Kenobi apartment and not sure I would've reacted friendly if a Jedi busted into my room while both me and my lady were getting dressed. Siri should of thrown a pillow or something at him while Obi-Wan yelled for him to wait outside:p

Again, wonderful update

Look forward to reading more.

14. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Good hunting, Obi-wan and Anakin. :)

15. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Milteck Anakin is actually sounding like the voice of reason and is coming into his own.

He's getting there. :D

Again, wonderful update

Jaira Good hunting, Obi-wan and Anakin.

:D

16. ACE_Albert

ACE_Albert Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2007
    Excellent story and update, very enjoyable. Loved the inclusion of several 'classic' OTL ROTS lines but changed to Obi-Wan saying them instead of Anakin. Wonder if Obi-Wan will touch on the Dark Side during his rematch with Tyranus this time... hope not!

And... blast that Palpatine. Hope that Yoda and the Council are at least keeping a closer eye on him this time. And why hasn't Anakin told anyone else that Palpatine is Force-sensitive yet? If he didn't want to tell Obi-Wan or bring it up to the whole Council, he should've at least told Yoda, who was already suspicious of Palpatine anyway so Yoda wouldn't just dismiss Anakin's information out of hand.

17. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey hi there.

Outstanding update again.

All of the character interactions are canon-worthy.

Please keep at it!

~epi3

18. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Love those tender moments between Obi and Siri.
    Great update!

19. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I'm liking where this is going! I can't wait for more soon!

20. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Nice update. Looks like Palpatine is staring with his plan. Let's hope Siri will be able to protect Zakk.

21. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Hello all!!! :)

Well, after hospitalizations and illnesses for myself and my family, I'm back. :D Without further adu, the next chapter can be found below.

Thanks for reading everyone. :D I appreciate it greatly.

Chapter 18 (Part 2 of 2)

Coronet City Spaceport
    Coronet City, Corellia

Nejaa Halcyon, Jedi Master and Corellian Security Force officer was the first off the transport once he and his companions reached their destination.

“How do we find Ratri Tane?” Secura asked the moment they stepped off the transport.

Nejaa didn’t answer her immediately. First, he turned to Ylenic It’kla and motioned him aside.

“Yes Master?”

Nejaa whispered. “You’re our rear guard, Ylenic. Your job is to make sure we can leave at a moment’s notice once we have Tane.”

The tall Caamasi knight nodded once. “Understood, Master Halcyon.”

Nejaa then turned back to Aayla Secura. “We’re going to Homestar cantina to find Tane.”

She began following him out of the spaceport. “Ratri Tane is located in a cantina?”

Nejaa laughed and shook his head. “No, but a friend who might help us is there. I contacted him while we were landing. He just might be in possession of valuable information on where Ratri Tane and his family are located, or at the very least, the location of someone who does know.”

The female Twi’lek allowed herself a small smile at the ingenuity of Nejaa Halcyon.

Within moments, the two had boarded an air taxi and were headed for the Homestar cantina.

Every head turned when Nejaa and Aayla entered the cantina, including three Gotals that were standing at the bar.

“What does your friend look like?” she questioned.

Before he could answer, a blue Toydarian flitted up beside them and offered them a drink. Aayla immediately refused, but Nejaa nodded.

“I’ll have a Corellian whiskey, Lorfo.”

Aayla seemed surprised. “That Toydarian is your friend?”

Nejaa nodded, his eyes still glued to the three Gotals that now seemed to be interrogating one of the bartenders.

He led Aayla to a seat near the entrance so they could both see everyone entering and exiting the cantina.

“Lorfo has been a great help to myself and Rostek Horn in the past,” he whispered so as not to be overheard. “I’m hoping he can be of help now.”

Nejaa spoke as Lorfo came back and set his drink down. “Lorfo, I need to grab the attention of three Gotals over there.”

The Toydarian gave a smile and began flitting annoyingly around Aayla’s head. He bothered her with question after question. She got Nejaa’s look and made a huge show of becoming irritated with Lorfo, which wasn’t a stretch. She quickly stood and used a Force-push that sent Lorfo across the room.

The three Gotals noticed the commotion and turned to face the two Jedi.

“Here we go,” Nejaa whispered.

The lead Gotal was a tall male. His two companions followed him closely.

“Can we help you…gentlemen?” Nejaa asked in a friendly tone

“You are the one that assaulted the Toydarian?”

Aayla spoke up. “I am.”

The lead Gotal growled at her and drew a blaster pistol, which immediately led to lightsabers being ignited.

Blaster bolts collided with the sabers of Aayla and Nejaa. Nejaa leapt across the table and engaged the three in close quarters. Aayla came around and deflected a bolt right back at the left-most Gotal. He was felled instantly, and the two other stopped firing.

Nejaa and Lorfo shared one more look before he turned to Aayla. “Perhaps we should get out of here.”

Aayla agreed and they headed for the door. They’d barely stepped outside when Nejaa felt a hand on his shoulder. He smiled even before he turned; already knowing who it was gripping his shoulder.

“Rostek,” he greeted.

The other man smiled back, but only for a moment. “You two should consider leaving the planet after that…encounter in there.”

Nejaa shook his head. “Sorry, we can’t do that. We have business here.”

“Jedi business?” Rostek asked.

Nejaa smiled. “Yes. We’re looking for someone and so is the Confederacy. We have to find him first.”

Rostek sighed, but nodded. “Fine, just try and remember that you are also a CorSec agent. Don’t cause too many problems while you’re here.”

At that Nejaa laughed. “I’ll do my best. Hey, do me a favor. Check in on Scerra and Valin for me.”

Rostek nodded. “Will do.”

Aayla stepped next to Nejaa. “Are you certain the Toydarian understood your signal?”

Before he could answer, Lorfo came flying out the door. He didn’t stop, forcing Nejaa and Aayla to break into a run to keep up with him.

He led them to an alley where he stopped. “Fifty credits and I’ll lead you to the Gotals hideout. They were looking for your man as well.”

Nejaa reached into his utility belt and produced the credits. “Thanks, Lorfo. You were good in there.”

He took the credits and pointed down the alley. “They are staying in an abandoned building just over a kilometer away. My sources tell me they are close to finding your man. You should find what you need there to finish the search on your own.”

Nejaa again thanked him before setting out with Aayla for the hideout.

Ratri Tane was anxious. For several days he and his family had been frightened that they’d be discovered. Their own hiding place was within the same abandoned building, in a concealed room.

Now, he heard footsteps and soft voices that weren’t the Gotals.

“You find anything, Aayla?” Nejaa asked as the pair continued to dig around in the Gotals space.

“No,” she answered, her irritation shining through in her voice. “I’m beginning to think that this is nothing more than a wild bantha chase.”

Nejaa sighed. “I think I…”

He was cut off by a loud noise. His head snapped in the direction of the sound. Aayla came to stand beside him. She pointed at the wall.

“It came from inside that wall,” she whispered.

Nejaa nodded as he unclipped his lightsaber and ignited the weapon. He shouted a brief warning to step back and then plunged the lightsaber through the wall, quickly cutting a hole big enough to walk through.

Ratri Tane and his family were huddled together in a corner when Nejaa walked through, lightsaber held at the ready.

“Ratri Tane, I presume,” Nejaa quipped, seeing the frightened man and his family.

He nodded. “You are?”

Nejaa deactivated his lightsaber and walked over to them, holding out his hand. “I’m Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon. My colleague and I are here to escort you to the Jedi Temple, where you’ll be protected.”

Tane relaxed a bit, but not completely after hearing those words.

“How do we escape from here?” he questioned. “The Gotals are sure to be back soon and there’s a man here, Tendir Blue that has also been tracking us.”

Nejaa nodded. “Don’t worry, I have an idea. It requires remaining here until this Tendir Blue finds his way here.”

“He’s already been here once,” Tane revealed. “We could hear his voice through the wall.”

There was no more time for talk when the front entrance to the building was thrown open and the two remaining Gotals along with who Nejaa assumed was Tendir Blue, entered.

Ratri Tane placed himself between his family and three beings that were standing before them.

Tendir Blue, a heavyset man with red hair and lots of freckles, pointed his blaster at the two Jedi while the Gotals did the same to Tane and his family.

“Keep your hands where they are,” Blue ordered.

Already devising a strategy in his head, Nejaa lifted his arms high in the air. “Who are you?”

“I’m Tendir Blue, I work for the Techno Union,” the man revealed.

Nejaa smiled. “Ah, I take it you’re here to capture that man and his family.”

“Correct,” he confirmed.

“Well then, we have a problem,” Nejaa said, his voice almost regretful.

”What are you doing?” Aayla’s voice drifted into Nejaa’s mind then.

”I’m keeping him talking, relaxing him, making him think he has the upper hand,” he sent back to her while at the same time speaking aloud to Blue.

“See, I’m here for the same reason you are, to capture that man,” he explained.

“But…you’re a Jedi,” Blue said, confusion easily evident in his tone.

Nejaa smiled. “Technically, yes. However, I’m also a Corellian Security officer, and I was sent to capture this man. He’s wanted by the Corellian authorities.”

”He’s about to lower his blaster, when he does, you go for him while I take the Gotals,” he sent to Aayla, who nodded unnoticed by their enemies.

Slowly, Blue began to lower his weapon, motioning the Gotals to do the same.

“Perhaps we can come to an agreement on his…”

Aayla sprang into action while Blue was still speaking, his weapon completely lowered. At the same time, Nejaa lunged for the Gotals, slicing their blasters in half with one twirl of his saber. The same was done to Blue’s blaster.

Within seconds, all three were disarmed.

Nejaa deactivated his saber, clipped it to his belt and met the stare of Tendir Blue. “I doubt we can agree on anything. As you said earlier, I am a Jedi, and while I was telling the truth that I am also a CorSec officer, I’m here as a Jedi and a General in the Army of the Republic. I cannot and will not allow this man to be taken into Separatist hands.”

“How will you stop us?” one of the Gotals asked, his tone betraying his belief that they could not be stopped.

Nejaa smiled and closed his eyes. Suddenly, the two Gotals began yelling and were nearly tripping over one another to run from the room.

“What just happened?” Blue asked, afraid.

Nejaa opened his eyes. “The Force is my ally.”

Aayla had moved over to Tane and his family and were getting them ready to leave while Nejaa was once again in the process of closing his eyes.

Blue felt the Jedi enter his mind, but he could do nothing to stop the intrusion. Before he knew it, the scene before him was changing. The two Jedi that had been standing in his way were now dead and two of his men had come to assist him.

“We have a ship waiting to take them off planet, Sir,” Nejaa said in his guise as a Separatist agent.

Blue nodded, giving orders. “Lead the way.”

Together, Aayla and Nejaa led Tane and his family out of the building, down back alleyways and secluded walkways. Nejaa was maintaining his mental projection. All Blue saw was all Nejaa allowed him to see.

“Where is your ship located?” Blue questioned.

“Just up here, in the spaceport, Sir,” Aayla answered.

When they arrived at the ship, Ylenic was waiting for them. He could feel Nejaa’s manipulation of the Force, and wisely said nothing about it. For his part, when Ylenic appeared, Blue saw another Separatist agent.

“Get your family aboard ship and strapped in,” Nejaa whispered to Tane.

The man nodded, escorting his family onto the ship. Ylenic led them to the main cabin and helped them get situated.

“Sit tight, things might get a bit bumpy,” he told them before going back to join Nejaa and Aayla.

By the time Ylenic returned, Nejaa had begun sweating and both he and Aayla knew he was nearing the end of his ability to keep the charade going.

Ylenic and Aayla both had their sabers in their hands as Nejaa’s control slipped and Tendir Blue began to take notice of his surroundings.

“Where…what?”

“Tendir Blue, you’re under arrest by order of the Army of the Republic,” Aayla said as she approached him with stun cuffs.

“But you’re…you were…aren’t you…?”

He couldn’t string more than two words together, his mind still jumbled, his memories disjointed by Nejaa’s Force-guided mental manipulation of the man.

Aayla secured the cuffs and they all boarded the ship together; Ylenic escorting Blue to the cargo hold where he would be kept until they arrived back on Coruscant.

Coruscant

People all over the city planet were watching the massive Republic battleships take off from Galactic City Spaceport, their brilliant ion engines lighting up the sky in their wake.

“So, we’re really in it now, aren’t we?” Siri asked from the balcony off her quarters in the Jedi Temple.

Standing beside her Garen Muln nodded. “Yes, we are. On my way up here I heard that Chancellor Palpatine is going to be making some sort of announcement about all of this soon.”

Together the two old friends watched as hundreds of ships continued to lift off; knowing that their lives had just changed.

22. Milteck

Jul 8, 2006
    Another great update

I liked Nejaa Halycon in this chapter and how he used his unique aspect of the Force to secure the objective. The cantina scene was my favorite part and liked the interaction with the Toydarian.

Very good action and pace of the story.

Look forward to the next update.

D.M.

23. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Haha. Stupid gotals. That cracked me up....

24. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Milteck Another great update

I liked Nejaa Halycon in this chapter and how he used his unique aspect of the Force to secure the objective. The cantina scene was my favorite part and liked the interaction with the Toydarian.

Thank you. I like the character of Nejaa a lot. He makes up for not having TK in quite an interesting manner. Plus, I've found that he has quite a sense of humor, at least he does when I write him. :D

Jaira Haha. Stupid gotals. That cracked me up....

Yeah, they got snookered, didn't they? [face_laugh] Glad you liked it.

Chapter 19

Anakin shivered and wrapped his cloak tighter around his body as he stared out into space. He’d never gotten used to how cold space could be, and now the coming confrontation with Count Dooku was making it worse. Now, he was chilled from the inside, and no amount of warmth would hold it at bay.

“Anakin,” Obi-Wan said softly as he walked into the cargo hold area where the younger man was standing.

“Yes, Master?”

Obi-Wan could hear the seriousness in Anakin’s voice. “We’ve arrived at Bakura.”

Anakin remained quiet for several moments. Obi-Wan had already turned to leave when his apprentice finally spoke.

“I wrote Padme a letter,” he said quietly. “In case I…in case something happens. I wanted her to know…”

Obi-Wan moved back towards Anakin and rested a hand on his shoulder. “I know, Anakin. But we’re going to be fine. This fight is going to be different. We’re going to work together, and we’re going to defeat Dooku together. Padme will never have to read that letter.”

Anakin smiled slightly, tucking the letter back into his robe. “I understand, Master. I won’t rush into a fight on my own this time.”

Obi-Wan smiled back. “Good. Come on, we have a Count to hunt.”

Anakin followed him out of the hold to the main cabin where they strapped in for the descent.

Coruscant
    HoloNet News Agency

“Good morning, I’m Jerec Yorvit, coming to you from the Coruscant HoloNet News Agency newsroom,” began the reporter. “In just a few moments, we’ll be cutting away from the studio to the Jedi Temple where we’ve been told Chancellor Palpatine is about to make a speech. We go there now.”

The Jedi Temple

Palpatine’s face immediately popped up on viewscreens, a wide yet wary smile on his aging face.

“Greetings,” he began solemnly. “Beginning just over one week ago, hundreds of Republic battleships began taking off from Galactic City Spaceport bound for many regions around the Republic. On those ships are tens of thousands of Republic troopers as well as the newest members of the Republic Army and Navy, the Jedi.”

Jedi all throughout the Temple, those remaining, were watching the broadcast. Those who didn’t know where the majority of their brethren had gone now knew. Gasps of shock and looks of disbelief permeated the gatherings.

“The Jedi Order has taken a stand in what is fast becoming an all-out war between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, known generally as the Separatists; they have chosen to stand with the Republic. All Jedi Masters have been commissioned into the military, carrying the rank of General. All Jedi Knights have been given the rank of Colonel and most senior level Jedi Padawan Learners are now officially Republic Commanders. They carry these ranks due to their levels of training in both diplomacy and combat. I have every confidence in the Jedi Order to be effective and fair leaders with our military system. All Republic battleships, frigates and cruisers will have Jedi on board. The largest battleships are being commanded by Jedi Generals. Both ground forces and space forces will be led by members of the Jedi Order. Engagements are certain to take place on numerous planets. The Separatists cannot and will not be allowed to destroy the Republic. I have committed all of the Republic’s military forces to this fight. We must win. We will win.”

Palpatine’s face vanished from the viewer and the newscast went on to other events taking place in the Republic.

Jedi began to disperse once the broadcast was over, each and every one of them weighing the Chancellor’s words.

Garen was about to exit the dining hall when his comlink chirped.

“Muln.”

”Knight Muln, your presence is required in the Council chambers in ten minutes.”

“I’ll be there, Master Windu.”

He re-attached his comlink and headed for the lifts that would take him to the High Council chambers; every moment wondering what mission he was going to be assigned.

Bakura
    Capitol City of Salis D’aar

Obi-Wan and Anakin set out immediately from Bakura Spaceport. Each man was armed with a holopic of Dooku to show around to the local citizens. They hoped to at least get pointed in the general direction Dooku had taken.

They were slowly making their way through a busy outdoor market, showing Dooku’s holopic to anyone and everyone they encountered. After two hours, no one had admitted to having seen the man.

“This is getting us nowhere, Master,” Anakin commented. “Maybe we should consider asking the local media to broadcast the image over the HoloNet. If more people see it, we have a better chance of finding him.”

Obi-Wan nodded as he sighed. “I would like to avoid that if we can. There’s always a chance Dooku himself will see the broadcast and leave the planet before we find him. We don’t want to miss our chance.”

“So, what do we do?” Anakin wanted to know. “No one here has seen him, and if they’re lying and they have seen him, they aren’t going to tell two off-worlders, especially Jedi.”

“He’s going to be in hiding,” Obi-Wan said, almost to himself, yet still loud enough for only Anakin to hear. “Dooku won’t be anywhere in the open. He knows that would make him a target for anyone looking to make a name for themselves.”

“So…” Anakin began, stopping as he began to turn in a circle, looking at the surrounding terrain of the planet.

“The mountains,” he finally said, his eyes settling on the mountain ranges in the distance.

Obi-Wan followed his gaze and shook his head. “Yes, the mountains. It’ll take a few hours to get out there.”

Anakin quickly took off towards a speeder rental shop he had seen. Obi-Wan followed and smiled a little when he heard Anakin heckling with the owner over what the price for several days rental would be.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Anakin shouted, his hands waving in the air erratically. “There’s no way that speeder, which is easily twenty years old if it’s a day, is worth two-hundred and fifty credits a day. Now, give me something more reasonable.”

Obi-Wan had to press a hand over his mouth to keep his laughter at bay as Anakin continued to gesture wildly as the shopkeeper refused to lower his price. Finally, he had to step outside or he was sure to burst into uncontrolled spasms of giggling at any moment.

Ten minutes later, Anakin came outside with a grim look on his face.

“What’s wrong?” Obi-Wan asked carefully.

Anakin sighed and pointed to the speeder. “Well, firstly, that twenty year-old bucket is all the guy has. Secondly, it cost me two-hundred and fifty credits for only two days of use. Thirdly, each additional day of use will cost us two-hundred credits.”

Obi-Wan failed at that moment to keep in his laughter. He couldn’t help but laugh at his apprentice. There were few things that Anakin Skywalker took very seriously, but anything having to do with speeders he took very seriously.

Finally, Anakin began laughing with him. The two friends laughed as heartily as they ever had. It felt good to them both, to laugh and release the tension they both were feeling.

After several long minutes, Obi-Wan finally patted Anakin on the back and the two men climbed into the speeder; Anakin in the driver’s seat.

“Head straight for that peak, we’ll stop to camp for the night as soon as it gets dark,” Obi-Wan instructed.

With steely determination in his voice, Anakin answered. “Yes, Master.”

They left Salis D’aar quickly, heading straight for a confrontation.

Garen took a deep breath before he entered the Council chambers. He moved regally to the center of the room and bowed respectfully before the members of the Council, of which only two were present, Mace Windu and Yoda.

“Masters,” he said as he rose.

“Knight Muln, we have a special task for you,” Mace began, wasting no time on idle conversation.

“Familiar you are with Obi-Wan’s investigation, hmm?” Yoda asked.

Garen nodded. “Somewhat, Master. I know he and Anakin were asked to discover who was behind the threats again Chancellor Palpatine.”

“To you, that mandate, now is given,” Yoda replied. “Investigate, and discover the identity of the perpetrator, you will.”

Garen nodded. “Yes, Master.”

The briefing went on for nearly an hour, with Mace and Yoda giving Garen all of the information Coruscant Security had managed to turn up as well as what Obi-Wan and Anakin had to go on, which all combined, was very little. By the end of the briefing, Garen knew he’d have to go back to Chancellor Palpatine’s office and begin there.

While Garen was heading away from the Temple on his way to Chancellor Palpatine’s office, Nejaa Halcyon and Ratri Tane had just been summoned to the appear before Mace and Yoda.

“With all due respect, what’s this about, Masters?” Nejaa asked, his impatience shining through his tone of voice.

Mace hid a smile. “Mister Tane, how are you and your family settling in here at the Jedi Temple?”

The scientist gave a hesitant smile. “We’re doing well, Master Windu.”

Mace had met the man and his family upon their return with Nejaa several days before.

“Well, I’m sure you’re both wondering why you’re here,” Mace began.

“Master Halcyon, a new mission for you, we have,” Yoda said, an almost excited sound to his voice.

Nejaa’s eyes met Yoda’s, silently pleading for anything that would take him away from the Temple. He’d been bothered constantly by Tane since they’d arrived at the Temple. Nothing had been made official by order of the Council, but Nejaa had begun to feel like a tour guide for the middle-aged scientist and his family.

“A guard, Mister Tane needs,” Yoda revealed.

Nejaa groaned inwardly. Of all the times to decide I needed to spend less time as a CorSec agent and more as a Jedi, he thought to himself. I’m going to be a bodyguard.

“We decided that since you’re already familiar with Mister Tane, you’d make the most logical choice for this duty,” Mace concluded. “Do you accept?”

Nejaa wanted badly to say no, to say that he refused to accept the assignment. He opened his mouth to say just that, and something entirely different came out.

“Yes, Masters, I accept.”

Ratri Tane grinned, pleased with events.

Chancellor Palpatine was wandering the Temple aimlessly. Ironically, the place he should have felt least comfortable in, the Jedi Temple, made him feel as safe in his plans as he’d ever felt. If he could hide from them in their own home, he knew he could hide from them anywhere.

He had just turned a corner when he ran into Nejaa and Ratri Tane, on their way back from their appearance before the Council.

“Oh,” Palpatine exclaimed, startled.

“Chancellor Palpatine, forgive me,” Nejaa said. “I was…distracted.”

Palpatine smiled. “Oh, that’s quite alright, my boy, quite alright.”

Nejaa intended to step around the politician and continue on his way, but he was stopped by Palpatine’s voice.

“Who might this be?”

Nejaa cleared his throat and made introductions. “Chancellor Palpatine, may I present Ratri Tane, a scientist that has offered to assist the Republic in our fight against the Separatists.”

Palpatine hid his anger well. He’d been certain that his agents would have gotten to Tane first.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mister Tane,” Palpatine said, his voice jovial.

Ratri Tane nodded, and mumbled his own hello, but he couldn’t help but feel like he’d met the Chancellor before. Of course, he’d seen him on the HoloNet, but this was more personal a feeling, like he’d stood face to face with the man before.

Nejaa, sensing the tension, spoke. “If you’ll excuse us, Chancellor, Mister Tane and I are on a tight schedule.”

Palpatine excused them and turned slightly to watch them go.

Once they were in the lift, Nejaa turned to Tane. “What was that back there? You seemed…spooked.”

Tane shrugged. “I’m not certain. I feel like…like I’ve met him before, only…only not as a Chancellor.”

Nejaa pondered that statement while Ratri Tane delved into his memory.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Two years Ago
    Mustafar

Ratri Tane had been summoned by Count Dooku to come to Mustafar. When he arrived, he found Dooku and another man waiting for him.

“What am I doing here,” he asked.

The other man, cloaked in solid black, his pasty face hidden from view by the hood of his cloak, stepped forward.

“I am Lord Sidious,” he explained. “You’re here because I require your expertise.”

Tane, now afraid, nodded. “What can I do for you, Lord Sidious?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tane shook his head. “I must be going crazy.”

“Why would you think that?”

Tane smiled. “For a moment I thought Chancellor Palpatine was the same man I’d met two years ago on Mustafar when Count Dooku summoned me there. I met a man cloaked in black and I couldn’t see his face. He said his name was Lord Sidious. Crazy, huh?”

Nejaa nodded, thinking that Ratri Tane was indeed crazy to think that Chancellor Palpatine could possibly the Sith Lord the Jedi wanted so badly to apprehend. Guarding him was going to be a challenge, and Nejaa was very sorry he’d accepted.

25. Tanamel_Ka

Tanamel_Ka Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2007
    Nice... I think Anakin will have his evidence if he only knows where to look.

I'm enjoying your fic so far. Can you please add me to the pm list?