main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SECRETS OF THE SITH - A new fanfilm

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by majormorgan, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majormorgan

majormorgan Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    Hiya guys and gals...

Well we're about 5-6 months off finishing our fanfilm for 'Secrets of the Sith'. For a full breakdown on what the film will actually be and to check up on progress on a week-by-week basis goto:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/morganfilms

Currently the site is the basic shell with placeholder pages for key sections, but it will be added to frequently with a barrage of articles, news, links, clips and images...

Its looking quite good so far, I can't wait to post some clips for download...

Enjoy!

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Cool stuff, man. I hope you make your deadline.

EDIT: Looked at your site more carefully. Sounds REALLY cool. I love the idea, I had one just like it once. I'm glad you chose such a cool format. It'll get people pumped for a movie that'll never happen ;).

~Neszis~

3. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    5-6 months away, huh?

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP! This seems to be where most fan films that survive to be filmed die. Post is where the evil hard drive eating monster lives. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!

Site looks good. Slow as molasses, but looks good. Neat concept.

4. majormorgan

Jan 3, 2004
    Thanks guys, wow repsonses were quick!!!

I can't work out if the server is slow as hell or if I need to recompress my images... probably both...

Anyways, 5-6 months away, not a problem as we shot it in a day about a year and a half ago and have been ploughing through tons of rotoscoping, 3d modelmaking and such whilst trying to pin down our ever expanding day jobs to stay alive... :)

Its been a lot of fun and we're now into full momentum for the final stretch...

Will keep the board posted on new updates, but in the meantime check out the site when you can for lots of cool stuff..!

5. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I really hope your Trailers stink . . . because if they are great, then I am going to REALLY hate you for not making the full movie. :p

6. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Wait a minute I'm confused..I read you're webpage and it says you're just making a cool ass trailer? No film?

But anyways I must say that I am impressed with most of what I saw....how can you not make a film?

~Rory

7. JaredE

JaredE Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2003
    I like the idea... Its good you are keeping your goals realistic. I think alot of the time quality is lost for quanity/legnth.

8. majormorgan

Jan 3, 2004
    thanks JediTAC..!!

I think the trailers will be that good, just based on some of the key shots we are working on already, things are looking great so far. Feedback to the moving stuff is well received, I just feel it is time to start the 'buzz' to get people pumped for when it does come out !!!!

We've had a ramp up time of about a year where we've been learning new skills and techniques and all of a sudden things are becoming quicker...

Rory, thanks for the cool feedback, we're only sticking to a trailer [3 of them] because we knew we would never have time to make a film with the quality of visual and sound that we have!!

To give you a taster here is a link a test shot that is 85% complete: (4.87 meg quicktime in sorenson 3 at 720x304)
    Fighter take off

Here are some stills so far:
    fight
    reflection test
    75% hanger matte painting
    85% complete senate 3D model
    take_off

The backgrounds are either 3d models and textures we've built from scratch or are photoshop matte paintings that I paint from scratch...!

thanks all for your encouraging posts...!!!

9. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    looks really great!!! you should consider making a whole film if the trailer gets well-recieved...

10. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    What the hell is up with that yoda? His head is HUGE!

11. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    the pictures wont load for me [face_plain]

12. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    That fighter takeoff test clip....

Wow.

Just. Freaking. Wow.

Perfect.

~Neszis~

13. majormorgan

Jan 3, 2004
    Hiya djr33

Have you tried right mouse click on the link and choosing 'save target as' and then opening up the images in paint or another paint program if the IE links aren't working [or are you in netwscape or another browser?]

Thanks!!

14. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Wow that CG is out of control...I wish I was that good!
    Keep up the good work!

~Rory

15. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    opened in a new window.... rigth click, saved as... tried to open the .mov thru quicktime, not here... basically, it wont do anything :( i wanna see these...

16. majormorgan

Jan 3, 2004
    djr,

Hiya, sorry things aren't working out for you.

I've just been looking into putting files into the html... for the movie that is [images are easy...]

Just to check do you have the latest quicktime? I think we are up to 6.3 or 6.5...

Did you save the video file to your desktop and then open it up in Qt?

Did the images work? Here is a placeholder for just the images and the QT embedded in a web page...

served downloads

The movie will take a small while to load...

Hope this helps!

17. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ok... this is weird. i keep getting sent to a "The page cannot be displayed" page (including for that html page you just linked to)... meaning that either the file isnt there or something is not working between the server and my computer... which is what it must be because everyone else seems to be able to see them. i cant right click save as because the file "doesnt exist" so i cant put it on my desktop. i have the newest QT, its not that. i can just get the files sent to me from someone else i guess, but this is weird. i guess i can try looking on my mac, maybe that would make it work...

edit: doesnt seem to work on my mac either. i'm in the usa and this looks like a british server, so maybe thats the issue ?[face_plain]

18. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    alright. i got the files sent to me...

i loved the pics and thought this movie looked like it had lots of potential... then, i saw the clip. that is just simply AWESOME. looks professional even :) i cant wait for this film :) not too much else to say, just that i love what i see :)

19. Chy_Storm

Chy_Storm Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    LOVE the CG in the jto clip....just curious...what software you're using (plug-ins etc) and how long did that take to render...with the ray tracing I'm guessing days if not weeks..unless you got a render farm stashed in your closet.

20. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    With a title like "Secrets Of The Sith" I thought it was just your average forest-variety fan film. But after having seen the site and test clip...

:eek:

You do realise that when you start releasing trailers people are going to pass it off as Episode III material, right? ;)

21. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    Nooooooo! This can't be! Only trailers?!? That's... that's.... depressing! Bad! I'm crying for a movie already!

22. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    This looks great, I hope you can somehow complete it, very good stuff indeed

EDIT: One thing I think is funny as HELL is the acronymn 'SOTS', which is the same for the scif3d short that will also be a set of shots and not a full feature. Hopefully yours will be the SOTS that gets to see a completion date :)

23. Sith-Lord_James

Sith-Lord_James Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Dang, I just saw that Fighter Takeoff clip and it is simply amazing, I'm gonna have to ask you to make the whole film, not just trailers..

If you want I could help! :D

By the way, what 3D program are you using?

24. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    With the quality of the rest of it so high, please don't make me sad. Fix the lightsabers, I beg you.

Pure white cores, more defined edges to the cores. Please. It's the simplest effect, but the most definitive and the one most often done wrong.

While not the first trailer-only film, this is the first trailer-campaign film. This is actually a pretty cool idea, I love stuff that stretches the cinematic form like this. I'll be interested in seeing this progress.

M. Scott

25. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Hot damn. The only thing I can say that I didn't like was the hangar. As for everything else...wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.